Thread: 2016 Summer Paralympics at Rio!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default 2016 Summer Paralympics at Rio!

So the Paralympics are starting today with the Opening Ceremony. Given that the Olympic ceremony was already done under a tight budget, I really have no expectations as to what they might pull off for the Paralympics.

As usual, my television will pretty much have nothing but Paralympics while it's on. One thing I'm looking forward to is the paratriathlon, which is a new event this year, and triathlons are immensely watchable spectator sports. There's also canoe sprint as well which is new this year, but I have never been a fan of the water sports in either games. Who cares about sailing?

From the news reports, it will either defy the incredibly low expectations and be a half-decent Paralympics, or an unmitigated disaster. I mean, to be honest, after London 2012, the Paralympics were always going to look pale in comparison whoever hosted it.

So, will you guys be following coverage? I know in America NBC has always provided rather poor coverage; I know they provided like, five hours of highlights for the entire London 2012 Paralympics. Hopefully they'll do better.

In the UK, Channel 4 has sort of taken the Paralympics under their wing, after doing very well with London. Canada, Australia will be providing coverage as usual.
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 09-07-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post

In the UK, Channel 4 has sort of taken the Paralympics under their wing, after doing very well with London. Canada, Australia will be providing coverage as usual, and for the first time even Poland is getting in on broadcasting rights.
    No.

We have had paralympics broadcasted here before. Not sure which channel did it, but we did. And I know this because my uncle is actually the coach of the girl that keeps winning gold medals for swimming. She's taking part again this year, so here's hoping for the best.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ugh, I may have misinterpreted the news report. It may have been that your state broadcaster TVP would get hosting rights for the first time in Polish Broadcast history, not the entire country as a whole. I don't doubt Poland have shown coverage before.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anyway, yeah, cheering for Joanna Mendak because my uncle is an excellent swimming coach!