Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Music Opinions

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Unpopular Music Opinions

I don't like metallica. Not a big fan of Sublime. Both were ruined for me by their fans. They just wouldn't stop talking about it. In HS it was Sublime. Everyone else it's metallica. Their music is okay but I just cannot stand listening to it.

When I was in HS I lived an hour out and my cd player didn't work. It didn't have a port or whatever this was a decade ago, things weren't as streamingly nice. So I had to listen to the radio. THREE STATIONS had mandatory Metallica hour. Which happened to be when I was driving home. So so sick of metallica.

What are your unpopular Music Opinions?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do not have a favorite band. Nor do I even get the concept of a favorite band or guitar worship.

It's ironic because my dad is a total rockstar wannabe.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I hate 90% of songs with singing. Dunno. Just annoys me.

and then people sing along with it.

yeah idk I like my tunes of videogame songs. That in of itself is unpopular. Just liking vgm songs

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I'm with you on Metallica. Most metal now adays I just grew to dislike. I enjoy a softer sound now.

Also what are with kids now adays playing that rock and or roll in those Juckey Boxes at the malt shops until 10 at night. Dancing like the devil has possessed them.

Really though I am like Galuf in this now. I like music in the backround to help tell a story but I have been slowly phasing out a lot of it. It is weird though because I can play the piano, guitar, bass, and a few others. I just don't enjoy doing so.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Radiohead sucks.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I hate the Beastie Boys.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Is disliking the Beastie Boys unpopular? Out of all the times growing up in the hood I never heard anybody talk about the Beastie Boys let alone playing their music. Out of all the rap groups, you'd hear Mobb Deep, Junior MAFIA, Outkast, Gang Starr, those, not Beastie Boys. Our radio station didn't even really play them.

Me? I think Beyonce's pretty weak. Out of all the songs I listened to by her I only like is "The Closer I Get to You" with Luther Vandross and "Daddy Lessons". The former I told people about and they always say it's too slow. Youngins nowadays. If Beyonce did more trout like that then I'd smurf with her. Daddy Lessons caught my attention with its swinging country-like sound. Again, I'd smurf with her if that was her main genre, but she does Pop which I don't think she's that good at.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 09-08-2016 at 11:25 PM.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I hate the Beastie Boys.
    YXRjvsm.jpg

Some opinions are unpopular for a reason.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Is disliking the Beastie Boys unpopular? Out of all the times growing up in the hood I never heard anybody talk about the Beastie Boys let alone playing their music. Our radio station didn't even really play them.
    More often than not, I get strange looks from anyone born in the '70s and '80s whenever I say that, so in my experience it's definitely an unpopular opinion (at least for my generation).

Although the fact that Mister Adequate is so enraged only proves that I am objectively correct. QED.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

*In terms of Tool albums, I really do like Aenima like most folks, but I think both 10,000 Days and Lateralus are better albums.

*Singing is very overrated. Don't get me wrong, I do love good singing, but I think there is far too much focus on it. I think instruments, especially something like skilled guitar playing, is far more interesting. Sure, at one point being skilled at an instrument was valued more (and still is in many circles of genres), but I'm strictly talking about mainstream stuff. Most of these supposed "best songs ever" are just people wailing. Like, it's cool and takes TREMENDOUS talent to pull off. I get that. But too much of WHHOOOAOAOAOAOAOAOAOAOAOOAOAOAOAOA is overkill.

*I still like Marilyn Manson and the recent albums still have good music on them. Manson will never get as good as Antichrist Superstar and people who are/used to listen to Manson need to get over it. Plus, if Antichrist Superstar was released today people would say its another crap Manson album. Hey, remember these classic lyrics? "When you get to heaven, YOU WILL WISH YOU'RE IN HELL!!" Yeah, sounds like something someone would make if they made a style parody of Manson. Point is, most people who were into Manson were in their teens. Manson was fresh and new, and that's why you were into the music. If anything Manson is guilty of not changing enough and trying to rekindle a fire that will never burn again instead of trying something new. In fact, he sort of did with the latest album and it is actually very solid! Manson is total garbage live now, I have grown and changed a lot since I first got into the band, and a lot of the lyrics are silly now, but I still have fun throwing on a Manson album and rocking out.

*Lyrics are completely overrated. Maybe that's why I don't really care for singing that much, too? Also why bad lyrics from bands I like don't bother me as long as the song sounds good. Again, the general sound of a song is way more interesting. I also tend to feel emotion through the sound of a song. If I make a playlist themed around an emotion or whatever, I mostly don't pay attention to the lyrics. I try to build a concept around how a song makes me feel stickily from the music itself. That said, when lyrics are very good I do enjoy them.

*Stop judging people so harshly for having different tastes than you. For example, DMKA said Radiohead sucks. I like Radiohead. That's great! The cool thing about people is that we all have different backgrounds and interests. I wouldn't want everyone to think exactly like me because besides the concept being incredibly creepy things would get boring. It's really sad that I have to point this out, but I rarely discuss music online because people get such a stick up their ass about it. Nearly every day I see someone complain that someone else has a different opinion about music. It would be like if people argued about food! How ridiculous would that be? ... Ohhhhh.....

*In the interest of fairness I'll actually attack one of my favorite genres! Well, actually more like the people who also like what I am about to talk about. Progressive rock/metal. Yes, like you I love it. But guess what? Not everyone has the patience for a 14 minute song. Or 40 some odd minute song. Or an album with an overall arc of sorts. Again, I LOVE it. But getting on a pedestal and thinking you are better than most people because you listen to music with odd time signatures isn't going to win people over. You want the genre to get more recognition and exposure? Don't be an ass about it! Maybe introduce people to a shorter song or something more accessible. I mean, are you really that surprised that most people feel overwhelmed when you throw a song at someone with constant blast beats and growling vocals? Don't be willfully obtuse.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

My unpopular music opinion is that unpopular music opinions are silly, you should listen to what you like and have no shame. like today I spent actual money on a goddamn song by Eurobeat Brony but I'm also super SUPER hyped for the new Bastille album tomorrow and I feel like those are about as opposite in style as you can get but idgaf I like them both

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    *In terms of Tool albums, I really do like Aenima like most folks, but I think both 10,000 Days and Lateralus are better albums.
    That's an unpopular opinion? I'm not sure I've met anyone who thinks Aenima was better than Lateralus (which is a damn near perfect album in my opinion). I've seen lot's who don't really dig 10,000 days though, but musically I think it has their strongest songs by far. It's just not as cohesive and thought provoking an album as Lateralus, but I still like it more than Aenima.

But keeping on Tool for a moment, a lot of people seem to like Undertow and it was probably the album that really broke things open for them and helped them define their direction as a band. And I hate it. Seriously, it has two songs I like and the rest make me want to never listen to the album again. In fact, I started with Lateralus as my first album and worked my way backwards to Aenima and then Undertow. Almost didn't bother with Opiate because of it which would have been a shame.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    My unpopular music opinion is that unpopular music opinions are silly, you should listen to what you like and have no shame. like today I spent actual money on a goddamn song by Eurobeat Brony but I'm also super SUPER hyped for the new Bastille album tomorrow and I feel like those are about as opposite in style as you can get but idgaf I like them both
    This, pretty much.

I have a lot of unpopular music opinions, I'm sure - simply because I love pretty much everything, I love the music I grew up with, the music from before my time, the music from today. I love songs from singers and bands the majority seem to hate, as well as those that everyone seems to love, and everything in between. I can listen to any genre, and it will sound beautiful to me.

I also love songs that sound similar to each other, and I love covers and samples, especially of songs I already liked/loved. I feel no shame in any of this.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

While it's nice that music is trying to move away from the more processed hype BS that has been Pop music since the late 90s, I am really not digging this return to 60s/70s era singer/songwriter/folk music that is sweeping in. Every time I listen to modern music it's either a music industry pop group or some whiny artsy coffee shop songwriter who should have never left Burning Man to pursue a music career. I guess it's just that awkward period where the over-analyzed processed stuff is going out the door and the underground art stuff is coming in, but lacks the filter to make it stronger for a wider audience. Granted, it's not like we haven't seen this happen before, it just kind of sucks when you feel like you're in that in-between stage of musical eras.

Oddly enough, a lot of music I used to hate growing up is starting to really grow on me. I feel like I've bought more music from bands/artists/genres that I used to seriously hate than stuff I would usually listen to.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh. I actually really enjoy Taylor Swift. I don't get all grumpy about her music or persona, I just think her music is fun.

Lot of people like to trash her for whatever reason. That's more popular with people i know than not.