Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Questions to you foreign people

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

There's a Mexican restaurant in my modestly sized town (if I was American I'd call it a city) and there's a whole Mexican aisle in the local supermarket. I tell a lie, actually, it shares its aisle with... AMERICAN FOOD. No word of a lie. You are an international delicacy. It's mostly stuff like Lucky Charms and candy. I can take a picture next time I'm there if anyone is especially curious.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh my god. Do they have Oaxaca cheese? If they do you NEED to try it.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I prefer to make my Taco's and burritos myself. They are simple to make and when you make them yourself they can be delicious. Some fresh peppers in with them. A little bit of lettuce and some diced tomatoes. A bit of salsa and it is great.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I prefer to make my Taco's and burritos myself. They are simple to make and when you make them yourself they can be delicious. Some fresh peppers in with them. A little bit of lettuce and some diced tomatoes. A bit of salsa and it is great.
    Yeah, basically. Most foods are better when made at home, so I tend to make most stuff from scratch instead of going out often.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    Yeah, basically. Most foods are better when made at home, so I tend to make most stuff from scratch instead of going out often.

Yes that is true. Don't know how many times I've been out and see something like Gumbo and go well I haven't had that in forever and... Not great. Make it yourself and it's back to great again.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

question for Australians: can you not send us your spiders and spider videos.

will happily take a koala instead

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

So our car licensing and motorcycle licensing requirements are laughably small.

Someone with a motorcycle learner's permit can just go out and buy a bike that can hit 170mph. 18 years old, been riding for two days, doesn't matter. If they have the money, they can do it.

Just how expensive is owning a car in other places, and how Orwellian are the restrictions on what you can do to it?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

In Canada it is expensive. Gas is more than in the US. And add a little bit more money on cars and trucks here then if you were to buy them in the US and convert them over.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Came here to say that there was an earthquake in the UK a number of years ago that I remember woke me up (for about 10 seconds - I sleep like the dead). My then girlfriend crapped her pants and was up for hours afterwards. I remember her sqealing "what was that?!!" and I apparently mumbled "...earthquake?" and went back to sleep.

I remember it feel like someone was stood at the end of the bed shaking it though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Just how expensive is owning a car in other places, and how Orwellian are the restrictions on what you can do to it?
    Cars are pretty expensive but not to the point that most families can't afford one. People usually have one per household. And I'm really not sure what the restrictions are but I don't think they're too restrictive

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I just figured you didn't have much mexican food cause you're so far from it.

Non Americas again (so not canada sorry little brother hat people):
    Is our music really that big over there? I never hear much of native whomever singers. I have to actively search for kpop to hear about any of it. But do we dominate YOUR music too?
    American music is pretty big, but so is british music i guess? I don't really know or care, as I never listen to the radio or watch TV. If an artist performs in their own language, that's pretty much a guarantee they'll never make in in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Europe - Do you ever have to deal with Tornadoes?
    Almost never. But sometimes we get wind speeds close to what tornadoes have. Not often though, maybe once every decade? The disaster of choice in norway is flooding in the flatter areas of the country, but that's only in the south east, not where I live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Earthquakes? Do you get those? I had one of those last weekend 5.8
    Rarely anything stronger than making your cupboard stuff rattle, and even that is very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    So our car licensing and motorcycle licensing requirements are laughably small.

Someone with a motorcycle learner's permit can just go out and buy a bike that can hit 170mph. 18 years old, been riding for two days, doesn't matter. If they have the money, they can do it.

Insanely expensive. I paid 4000 bucks for my driver's license, and that's pretty normal, and a motorcycle license is about the same. You need to be 18 to get a driver's license, but you can start practicing with an adult in the passenger seat from when you're 16. Motorcycles are 18 too, and "heavy" motorcycles require you to have had a normal motorcycle license for two years. You can get a scooter license at 16, but those things are limited to 45 km/h.

I dunno what you mean by restrictions, but you can modify it and trim it and such as long as it remains street safe. You have to report it though, and if you greatly increase the engine output, you might need to re-register it and that's gonna cost a bit.

Cars have taxes based on emissions and power output and they add up to nearly doubling the price of the car compared to what the manufacturer wants for it. The yearly registration fee is 300 bucks, and toll roads are very common. Still, most families have two cars. Electric cars are actually exempt from all sorts of tax, and also don't pay toll road charges so that's why norway has an crazy amount of Tesla model Ses. I wish I could afford one.

And of course we have tacos and burritos. Not as readily available as fast food, though.
    Last edited by Mirage; 09-09-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    So is it true you guys don't really use trains that much in the US?
    Not passenger trains. We have them to move coal and freight but passenger trains are more rare and special.

One of my highlights of going to europe was taking a train from Switzerland to paris. It was the coooooolest thing. Should say something that I thought that was an amazing thing. We just don't have passenger trains. I wish we had more. They're neat

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, passenger trains are kind of a huge deal in continental Europe. I mean, on average I travel by train at least once every six months. And at the platform they always announce this huge train that goes from St. Petersburg, I think, all the way to Berlin. So that's a long train ride.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

We have some passenger trains but driving and flying are often more convenient. Larger cities will have smaller local train systems but it really depends on the state. My home has both a smaller light rail system as well as a commercial passenger train system but the light rail has only really been active in the last ten years or so, and the train station is pretty much a leftover from the silver mining days of the state.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

trains are amazing. im so surprised how rare they are....