Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Questions to you foreign people

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It barely goes above 20C (68F) in the UK in general. Why would we need to make it colder?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    It barely goes above 20C (68F) in the UK in general. Why would we need to make it colder?
    I hate your temperate climate. That's not fair.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, we have heat waves in summer, but aside from that, Poland is pretty cold, so we don't have AC at homes usually. Restaurants and stuff always do, though. Well, usually. My workplace doesn't have AC and this summer was hard. Now I have a fan, though, so it's all good.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

So which of the European countries (or other areas for other members) have a mandatory public service program for recent high school graduates?

You know, something like military service, or something in the medical field like candy stripers or blue teens (American hospital volunteer programs for younger folks).

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Do you guys have Air conditioning? I was told the UK doesn't have much for Air Conditioning once and mine just went out and I can't imagine being without it.
    It seriously doesn't get so hot that you need one for the most time in many countries. A lot of people have heat pumps for heating in the winter now, and those are functionally the same thing as an AC, just in reverse. Many of these can also be used as an AC by the press of a button, or just automatically.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not mine

We used to have compulsory military service but thank God that was not a thing anymore when I turned 18.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    So which of the European countries (or other areas for other members) have a mandatory public service program for recent high school graduates?

You know, something like military service, or something in the medical field like candy stripers or blue teens (American hospital volunteer programs for younger folks).
    Norway does. 18 year olds are drafted into the national guard where they serve for a year or so. It's mandatory, but easy to get out of. They don't draft all that many so being out of shape usually makes them pick someone else over you. Or you can smoke weed prior to doing the urine sample and you'd be turned away for sure. It's strictly a defensive force, and draftees are never sent on missions outside of the country. They do get to bring their HK 416s home with them though, without the firing pin.

I didn't serve, but for those who do, there are a few perks. You can get drivers licenses for lorries or whatever, for example, which usually costs like 5000 euro if you want to get it on your own. THey're not handing these out for everyone who serves, of course, but for those who needs it to perform their duties. There are several other types of certifications you can get as well.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I hate your temperate climate. That's not fair.
    I'd like to point out that although it's a mild 24C outside it is currently a thunderstorm.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whereas the past two weeks here have been 30C with no cloud in sight. Warmest September ever.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It has been really nice this summer overall, we've went beyond the 20C for a number of concurrent days and on multiple occasions. It's crazy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Austria has compulsory service when you turn 18. Either 6 months in the military or 9 months of civil service. We actually had a vote on whether to keep or abolish it about two years ago, and largely thanks to the older population it was kept in place. Because smurfing of course.

I haven't done my service yet since I'd already started studying by that point, but I'll have to do it eventually.

Oh and Vienna (and Austria in general) has absolutely wonderful tap water. I feel spoiled; every time I go traveling I have to remind myself that the tap water might not be safe to drink directly.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have only had Indian food once, and it was with Shorty and Del and Miriel in San Francisco. I'm smack dab in the middle of the states though, you don't meet many Indians here. Just the Native American, indians.

WHAT EVEN IS POLISH FOOD?!
    Did we have Indian food? I don't even remember.

I had Korean food in London while I was visiting and it was sooooo bad. And it made me really sad, especially cause I was chatting with the workers there and they were definitely legit Koreans! So I wonder if this is the food they eat at home, or if they tried to adapt it to fit the taste of Londoners?? It was kind of terrible though. But not as bad as the Korean food in Paris. Holy trout was that terrible. After we ate the food, me and my Mom looked up the restaurant on Yelp and found all these people raving about how "authentic" the food was because the chef is Korean! Crazy people.

And I was traveling with my Mom which meant that yes, we had to try Korean food where ever we went in Europe, even knowing it would probably suck. Which it did.

If you ever travel with Koreans, no matter where you go or what other foods are available, they will inevitably insist on trying to find Korean food.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fynn could answer better I'm sure. Though my impression on most Polish food is pretty simple but hearty meals involving a lot of cabbage and beetroot and in western Poland, in spring when the season is right a lot of white asparagus!

My personal favourite dish from Poland is actually Bigos which makes a lot of people do a double take as it is such a traditionally "Polish" dish that not many outsiders like (well I'm half Polish by birth but raised here so I still see myself as an outsider). It's a stew made from Saurkraut, Cabbage, meat and a few other bits and pieces. It's delicious. Perogi, or Polish Dumplings are probably the most popular dish with foreigners to Poland.

I have only had Indian food once, and it was with Shorty and Del and Miriel in San Francisco. I'm smack dab in the middle of the states though, you don't meet many Indians here. Just the Native American, indians.

Check this out: List of Polish dishes (Wikipedia)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bigos is pretty good. It works best if you use red wine to make it.