Thread: Feeling overwhelmed

Default Feeling overwhelmed

Heya guys,

so I think that nearly every gamer gets sometimes overwhelmed by gaming for some time and either stops playing completely or plays simply out of habit before finally getting back "that" gaming feeling and enjoys themselves once again.

So the overwhelming feeling is once again upon me and I don't know what to do about it!

I've got TONS of games in my backlog to finish and I am simply the kind of player, that needs ALL achievements or at least beat all the superbosses in his games etc. This obviously takes lots of times and I am fine with that but for past half a year I can't seem to finish any game I start, heck I might enjoy it for few first hours but I never even get to the ending before putting it down again.

Of course, the best course of action would be simply wait to get my gaming tastes back, since they always do come back, but I am really missing the feeling of playing something properly so I want to kinda force it back myself. I've already tried not playing at all, playing just neverending games like Diablo 2, just watching anime or serials, reading books and I don't want to wait more.

So I want yours opinions people. Should I take one of the games I tried to play and stick with it until all achievements/ending, or should I start completely fresh game and go with that?

Or any tips in particular!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, had that too. Stopped playing things for a while and picked up Dragon Quest later and I was hooked just like way back in the past.

So if you're like me, leave everything for like a week, and then start something completely new to you. Heck, give Dragon Quest a shot if you haven't yet. It's surprisingly engaging.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Having very little free time these days, I could never be the completionist type. I play handhelds on the commute to work but my main console time is only a few hours a week at the minute. If I play a new game, I only complete the basic quest unless I'm really into it.

Anyone who follows my Mass Effect adventures will know how sporadic my updates are

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I stopped going for achievements and started just playing the games again. When you stop grinding for a 1-1200 chance drop they become fun again. Right now it sounds like you take it like a job almost where if you don't get that done it will ruin the outcome. Just find a game to have fun with and take yourself into the world. Do them without a walkthrough and take time to explore and immerse yourself in it. Like Fynn suggested the old Dragon Warriors are great for this as they were before the achievement era.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Exactly. It's just a great game series to immerse yourself into a world, do go on an adventure instead of just trying to seek out every little thing there is.

I get this every once in a while, and the big issue is the stress and weight of that backlog puts undue pressure on us. Try not to worry about it so much. Its hypocritical advice, but it's what causes me to lose interest once in a while. Especially when there is a game I want to play (read: replay), but I put it off because I feel obligated to finish x, or play through y because I paid money for it and I need to get the most out of it, or just get it out of the way before moving on, etc. It's all BS. Gaming shouldn't be a chore. It's fun. Play what you want. Its one of the few things in life where wanting is mentally and emotionally more important than needing. You don't need to finish that new game to enjoy an old game

If, however, you don't have the same problem as me, then all this advice is of no use. But there's my two cents from my perspective on dealing with this issue

During the 360's middle age I stopped playing games for years and got into watching Let's Plays to enjoy gaming vicariously since I couldn't get into a game it was nice to see at least someone enjoying games, and still experiencing the story and such. There was only a couple of games I could get into during that time. And the Saints Row games were my lifeline at the time otherwise I wouldn't have played anything. But it eventually passed. And again, I was just playing the things I wanted to just to get back into it at all

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I find that if I just force myself to play something for awhile I can get back in the groove of things. I may or may not finish said game, but it will get me pumped up to play another game.

If a game really holds me, I use the positive energy to keep going and play another game until I beat it. After I finished the Metroid II Fan Remake recently, I went and played Metroid Prime 2. Now, while I beat that game back when it came out I only tinkered with it a couple of times before in the years since. I liked it back then, but I felt it was sort of lacking. Well, when I replayed it until I beat it (this time on the Wii Trilogy version) I had so much fun and a much better impression of the game. It was a blast! Then lucky for me Axiom Verge game out on the Wii U! I could have played it before on my Vita, but I wanted it to play it on the big screen. No PS4 and the only PCs I have is an old, worn laptop and a newer underpowered laptop. Anyway, point is that this has been going on for weeks (as well as playing the original Final Fantasy on the side and doing a screen shot based Let's Play of Dragon Warrior here). I am definitely in the groove now!

So yeah, sometimes just force yourself to proceed. Play a game you've played before and use the high of an awesome game to launch yourself into undiscovered territory!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I get restless sometimes because none of the games I'm playing hit that sweet spot, so sometimes I'll take a break, put some of them back in the backlog, and try something new. Usually I'll find a game that really sucks me in again and I can focus mostly on that one with a few others on the side.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Something I've learned about myself only recently is that unless I have a lot of free time on my hands I pretty much never play any games in my backlog. I just don't have the motivation to just up and start them. Instead, the games I play are always the ones where in that exact moment I find some big reason or motivator to play them. So my backlog might as well not even exist, it really has no bearing on what games I play. Exception is when I really do have a lot of free time and need something to do with it, but lately that's been rarely the case even though the past two months were summer vacation for me so... yeah.