View Poll Results: How do you keep your place in a book?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use a bookmark

5 21.74%
  • Dog ear/bend the page

5 21.74%
  • Use some other flat item I have around

7 30.43%
  • I always remember exactly where I was

4 17.39%
  • I kinda remember, but have to scan for the exact spot

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you keep your place...?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I dog ear and bookmark, just incase one fails (usually the bookmark falling out)

Never heard it called a 'dog ear' before! But yeah, if it's a book that I own I'll fold the page. If it's someone else's, I'll use some form of bookmark. Usually that ends up being an old train ticket that I still have lying around ^^

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember the page number, line, and word I was on.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't dog ear, use bookmarks or remember my place. I just start again from scratch the next time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't tend to stop mid-sentence and usually stop at the end of chapter or paragraph, so even if I'm left without a bookmark, I can generally follow where I am based on chapter and paragraph. God help me if a book has huge chapters or no identifiable chapter/section running throughout.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I use a bookmark.

I work in a library, and holy smurf will people return books with any old thing as a bookmark! I have found birth certificates, legal documents, medical documents, credit cards, photos, money, a creepy business card that someone wrote 'I'm going to love you to death' on, CDs/DVDs, keys, photo ID, USB drives, and sanitary pads all used as bookmarks in library books...basically if it fits between pages, people will forget and return it that way. If it looks important, we will try and get the item back to the owner. I hate it when people write the due date on the bookplate, or markup the pages, that's just inconsiderate.

On that note, here are some items I've found returned in the bookdrop: Money, used syringes, a live mouse, a huge bag of weed, loads of books that belong to other libraries, clothing, etc. I wonder what will be waiting for me tomorrow X_x;;;

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    I use a bookmark.

I work in a library, and holy smurf will people return books with any old thing as a bookmark! I have found birth certificates, legal documents, medical documents, credit cards, photos, money, a creepy business card that someone wrote 'I'm going to love you to death' on, CDs/DVDs, keys, photo ID, USB drives, and sanitary pads all used as bookmarks in library books...basically if it fits between pages, people will forget and return it that way. If it looks important, we will try and get the item back to the owner. I hate it when people write the due date on the bookplate, or markup the pages, that's just inconsiderate.

On that note, here are some items I've found returned in the bookdrop: Money, used syringes, a live mouse, a huge bag of weed, loads of books that belong to other libraries, clothing, etc. I wonder what will be waiting for me tomorrow X_x;;;
    I have literally nothing that can compare to this. Though I've found oddities ranging from pressed flowers to appalling racist graffiti in books I checked out at my university library, even though uni is meant to be where the ostensibly smart people go. The pressed flower was nice, of course, though I left it there in the hope that it might brighten someone else's day in future.

I'm a profilic user of supermarket receipts as bookmarks. They're very thin, smooth paper so they're well-suited. They don't mess up your pages and they're endlessly disposable and replaceable. Also, I once had a flatmate with two young kittens who were entirely adorable. One of them loved to bite bookmarks and pull them out of books to stash in his "hidden" stockpile of toys - under my bed - which included cotton reels, cardboard tubes and scraps of leather, wool and cloth. Using receipts as bookmarks just made sense under those circumstances since they were guaranteed to get stolen and adorably chewed before long.

Blog Entries

Normally I use a book mark. But, if I can't find one I use a Magic: The Gathering Basic Land.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Today I found that someone had used a sealed-in-package morning after pill as a bookmark...someone is not having a good day...