Thread: Kubo and the Two Strings

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Default Kubo and the Two Strings

This was excellent, and it looks stunning. Sad to see it's not doing well at the box office really Has anyone else seen it?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Planning to see it this week!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I saw it on opening day. It was...ehhhhhhh....okay. Animation was second to none. The film is pure indisputable eye candy, and the voice acting is top notch. But the writing just feels rushed, terribly placed, full of plot holes and absurd on-the-spot plot twists that no suspension of disbelief can make acceptable, even in a movie about magic guitars and talking beetlemen. Not to mention the ending was really unsatisfying and, quite frankly, contains an appallingly bad message for kids.

The critics absolutely loved it though, as it has a 97% currently on Rotten Tomatoes, but I have no doubt had it been a live-action film it would have been torn apart and not half as well received.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

So if it had been a totally different film, it would have had a different response? Yeah, quite possibly. For one, the beetle guy would have looked pretty strange. I mean, Inside Out would have looked daft as a live-action film. Ditto the Toy Story films. And Spirited Away. And most animated films ever made really.

And how was the message of 'we keep the memories of those we have lost with us' a bad one?
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 09-12-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Update: Saw it. It looked amazing, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Yeah, the plot wasn't anything new or spectacular, and we saw everything coming a mile away, but eh. Doesn't need to be as long as it makes for an entertaining story.