Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardest bosses you have defeated

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Default hardest bosses you have defeated

Inspired by a skyblade comment on toughest games youve beaten.
    by inspired I mean straight ripped from.

so yeah. Toughest bosses.

*coufh* Liquidflame *cough*

Banned

All the bosses from Ghost'n Goblins, Silver Surfer and Battletoads for the NES, legit, several times.

The most consistently hard boss to me is Elec Man from Mega Man 1 if I only use the Mega Buster, although I have definitely beaten him and he is easier nowadays than he used to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Bar none the hardest boss I've ever beaten is this guy: Kaizo Mario 3 - Bowser. The moment I saw this fight, I instantly got my hands on the game, put a savestate before the boss (not gonna bother with the rest of the game, it's too freaking hard) and spent the next... year and a half or so repeatedly trying the boss before I eventually managed to beat him. He's like a bullet hell boss, except random and with Mario physics, which is a recipe for disaster. But since your deaths are always your own fault it was pretty damn fun, and eventually you just get good enough to beat him. And it was smurfing magical.

Honorable mentions to Yukari Yakumo (Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom) and a couple of challenge battles I did in Final Fantasy X-2 and XII.

Margaret, in Persona 3 Portable.

With just my main character.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Aeronite and Ereshkigal in FFXIII: LR. They were very technically demanding and required a very precise strategy to succeed. Ereshkigal is probably the tougher of the two due to you having to attack it in the air, and air attacks in this game are tricky to maintain.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Strange Journey loves tough bosses. Not only is the mid-game sector boss, Ouroboros, insanely difficult for the area she's in, the final boss, Mem Aleph, is just 100 shades of bulltrout. It has the only attack in the game that has a 100% chance of killing a character, and non-elemental, so it can't be resisted. Oh yeah, and in this game if your main character dies, it's game over. This kind of makes the final battle a luck-based mission. I don't think I've ever been more relieved when I finally beat a boss.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

The Jumgle Book King Louie for the SNES. He has about 1,000,000 HP and your Bannana's take off half a HP it seems. He just keeps coming at you.

Deflowering Zero from Drakengard 3

As much as there was left to deflower at least

Young Xehanort in birth by Sleep with Terra on Critical (a video of me without Terra)

https://www.twitch.tv/yakusoku_no_ji/v/66074564

Ruby WEAPON

Judge Magisters

Bumblebee Princess Flameu Level 99, you need to be strong enough to give her pretty much no chance, otherwise she is going to destroy you by getting more and more turns - I had to become so strong that I was able to defeat her in 1-2 turns; the more time you give her the more unlikely it is

In regards to "you have to be so strong, otherwise ..."

You like getting through dungeons in 3-4 hours withotut being able to save and potential freezing danger?

The Ethereal Queen

Of course you can say "you have to be so strong ..." about FF super bosses as well.

The other videos are not from me.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 09-19-2016 at 02:33 AM.

For one reason or another I rarely fight the super optional bosses of a game, so none of them are going to be here.

Hardest boss without doing optional stuff?

Persona 3: Sleeping Table is always a nightmare to face off against.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Like NeoCracker, I don't usually bother with super bosses, especially since I often feel their inclusion usually causes a lot of problems on the overall game side of things. With that said, I do try them out occasionally.

Probably the biggest pain in the ass for me was Vanitas in Birth by Sleep. He has low health but loves to teleport spam and can basically one shot you with most of his attacks.

Beelezebub in Nocturne is also a wonderful kick in the teeth. He has no weaknesses, takes half damage from all elements except Fire and Almighty, can hit your whole party with Maziodyne which does heavy electric damage and has a good chance of putting you in shocked status which makes every hit a guaranteed critical hit, and he has a special technique called Death Flies which does a crap ton of unblockable damage to your party unless your characters don't Void/Reflect Death, at which point the spell will kill them with 100% accuracy. You pretty much not only have to build your MC to fight against him, but you have to tailor make the team to go up against him. His Law optional counterpart Metatron is a pain in the ass as well, but not nearly as difficult. On the brightside, beating him allows you to make him in fusion and once you evolve him into his Fly form, he gains all of the above resistance and can learn Death Flies which works exactly the same.

Zodiark is another pain in the ass, largely because he's more about luck than anything else since their is no guaranteed defense against instant death magic and Darkja has a decent chance to inflict said ailment on your whole team. If you don't murder him quickly with a Quickening once he gets close to half his health, he uses a physical paling to gain total immunity to physical damage for the rest of the fight, which means it comes down to using costly spells to finish him off. With all that said, I still consider Ultima to be a more worthy and challenging fight.

Ancient of Days from Shin Megami Tensei IV, where to begin. He gets four turns, has a ton of health, has a move that negates all buffs and debuffs in the round at the same time, an uber version of Concentrate that triples the damage of his next magic spell, and even though he has weaknesses to two common elements (Electric and wind) he'll spam Diarahan, a healing spell that will restore all of his health if you hit either weakness, making the fight virtually unwinnable. The real bitch with him is his two unique abilities: Damnation and Stigmatic Gleam. Damnation does heavy Almighty (unblockable) damage and has an incredibly high chance of poisoning your characters making them easy to pick off since poison is actually pretty lethal in this game. Stigmatic Gleam on the other hand has also does heavy almighty damage but inflicts Brand on your character. Brand is a unique ailment that prevents healing magic from working on your character and reduces your hp to whatever damage the attack part of the spell did to you. So if you had 300hp and the spell did 180, your new max HP is 120; there is also no item or spell to remove this status, you just have to wait for it to wear off.

I will second Mem Aleph from Strange Journey, easily one of the hardest final bosses in the franchise. Fynn already mentioned the BS that is MA, but she also can use the unique boss abilities from the previous bosses, including Disaster Cyclone, which inflicts status ailments in addition to unblockable almighty damage including Charm (enough said) Stone (very few things resist and it's treated as death) and Bomb, a unique ailment where if the character afflicted doesn't defend while the status is on, if hit, the character will explode and do damage to the whole party based on his current health. So if they had 400hp, the whole team takes 400 damage in addition to the Bomb character being killed. The max HP in this game is 999hp, and a killed demon has to be re-summoned back onto the field after being revived, so bringing back your party member is a two round deal that takes up your MC's turns. She is a smurfing luck based mission, and the final boss for two of the alignment routes.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

God, you know what encounter was a pain in the ass? Trying to rescue the Archdemon in Dragon Age Origins - Darkspawn Chronicles. Alistair is a beast when you're fighting him.

Also back in the day I once beat Culex (From Super Mario RPG) with arguably the weakest party in the game. (Mario/Mallow/Geno). Like, just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Aeronite and Ereshkigal in FFXIII: LR. They were very technically demanding and required a very precise strategy to succeed. Ereshkigal is probably the tougher of the two due to you having to attack it in the air, and air attacks in this game are tricky to maintain.
    Ereshkigal is actually the weakest of the optional bosses. If you don't have a high enough damage output for Aeronite, it'll just fly away eventually. Then there's Bhunivelze + which is more difficult than both of those bosses. The only boss I haven't beaten in LR is Aeronite Chaos mode; sooooo much hp .
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Friggin Mintia.

She's so adorbs though so I forgive her.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    Ereshkigal is actually the weakest of the optional bosses. If you don't have a high enough damage output for Aeronite, it'll just fly away eventually. Then there's Bhunivelze + which is more difficult than both of those bosses. The only boss I haven't beaten in LR is Aeronite Chaos mode; sooooo much hp .
    That's true, but I could never master the 'light slash to attack to light slash' combo you have to do for damage and elevation.

I forgot about Bhunivelze. Even his regular form is a bitch to take out, as least as far as final bosses are concerned. If you've done everything, most final bosses are actually pretty easy, like Braska's Final Aeon, Vegnagun, etc. But even after defeating the two superbosses of the game, I struggled to take down the big bad. He just has an array of attacks that are difficult to defend against, and with four forms, that's a lot of attacks to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    That's true, but I could never master the 'light slash to attack to light slash' combo you have to do for damage and elevation.

I forgot about Bhunivelze. Even his regular form is a bitch to take out, as least as far as final bosses are concerned. If you've done everything, most final bosses are actually pretty easy, like Braska's Final Aeon, Vegnagun, etc. But even after defeating the two superbosses of the game, I struggled to take down the big bad. He just has an array of attacks that are difficult to defend against, and with four forms, that's a lot of attacks to remember.
    This is Lightning Returns. It has Overclock that can be used till doomsday and be combined with Artemis' Arrows, the most broken move to ever exist in a Final Fantasy.

And that means a lot because Crisis Core has Costly Punch, the easy 99999er.