Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on emulation

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Default thoughts on emulation

I like it. It lets cheap ass people like me not need to hope to find then hope to buy olden day games
    its allowed me to play so many great games. Ff zelda super metroid. Pokemon. Great.

but some people dont like it. So where do you stand on this godsend of a creation.

(Also yay i can continue my marathon because this phone can run ff8 on psx cleanly and smoothly like my cats fur)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to do it as a kid because I was poor and lived in one of the world's largest gaming ghettos.

Nowadays, I really prefer to buy my games if only to show support to the company. That said, emulating something you own on your computer is A-OK, especially if you like modding or want to use some filters or other things you can't do on a console. Still, personally, i really prefer to curl up with my 3DS on a couch than emulate a game on the PC.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Ah yes. I do like console gaming too. And a few games ive emulated I do own.

but damn. I dont even have a snes let alone all the games xD.

but yep if I have the original copy. Id play the sooner than the emu umless I have a good reason to play the emu version

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Nowadays, I really prefer to buy my games if only to show support to the company. That said, emulating something you own on your computer is A-OK, especially if you like modding or want to use some filters or other things you can't do on a console.
    I'm going to take this a step farther and say that I personally believe emulation is totally fine as well if there is no option to buy older games new. Buying them used doesn't benefit the developer and if there's no way to buy it new them said developer clearly isn't interested in making money from it anyway.

And if we're being honest, most of the people who made classic games probably aren't benefiting from many classic sales now anyway since a lot of them have likely moved to other companies, left the industry, or their companies or games were bought by other publishers, etc. I'm honestly in favour of an overhaul of IP law anyway since much of it is just absurd in the modern day, but basically, I'm not going to give anyone a hard time for emulating anything.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

^^ Yeah, pretty much that.

I like to collect certain games/cartridges to satisfy that collector's mindset and also because playing the game on a console is more fun to me that on a computer.

However, if someone can't buy the game new to support the developer, then you're not stealing money from the original creators. All used cartridge money goes to the used game dealers, and that's that. It's the same thing with new old stock. I'm sure there's exceptions, but pretty much all retro games still in the wrapper still see all the money go to the owner of the game. The game was bought new ages ago, that's when the publisher got their money. Now the game is a "new" game sold through the same dealers as all the used games.

I have nothing against used game dealers, but I'm also not going to fault someone who wants to emulate something like Suikoden 2, because they can't afford to pay these types of prices for new and used games.

Although, I think Suikoden 2 is pretty cheap on some virtual consoles now, so it might not be the best example.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll emulate a game if it isn't available internationally (like Japan only games, ugh) with fan translations, and games that can be modded beyond the regular edition. Like Fynn, I buy games I care about to support the developers and producers.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I used to emulate all the time years ago. Now, any game I'll want to play I own a console version. It took years to collect them all, but I can't remember paying more than $70 for any game, including Suikoden II, from one used game store or another. Never use Amazon or eBay because of those crazy prices. If someone else wants to emulate then go for it

i have no problem with emulators like console emulators, i only support ROM or ISOs if the game is no longer available for under $100... but i mostly like console emulators because lets say for example i own a PS2 and a copy of FFXII, i put the game into my PS2 and it looks awful, i put it into a PS2 emulator and turn the internal resolution to 4x native and it looks beautiful .. so even though i own a PS2, i prefer to play on an emulator because i cant change the native resolution output on a physical PS2...

Banned

ROMs are pretty much the only easy way to enjoy the original versions of a lot of great RPGs for the NES and SNES if you are born and raised in Europe, like I am.
    I refuse to miss those titles just because some jackass decided that we shouldn't have games like Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy 4, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG, just to name a small handful of them, and I am not interested in "remakes".

There have been occasions when I have got myself some adapters and other crap so I can play American cartridges;
    however, nowadays I just stick with ROMs, they seem accurate enough based on what I have played on my friends' consoles and what SNES versions look like on various YouTube videos, complete with glitches and everything else that you would find on the console versions.

Also, I never ever use Save States or Cheats - I play ROMs exactly as I would play the original consoles, with a real controller and everything.
    The only diffference is that I play them on an emulator instead of on a console.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 09-12-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

wait ff6 and co. werent in EU? damn.

really i EMU cos im too young to have bought the games when cheaper. like snes and NES

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    wait ff6 and co. werent in EU? damn.

really i EMU cos im too young to have bought the games when cheaper. like snes and NES
    The first FF game that was released in Europe was FF7.

Thankfully they didn't do those stupid name change things and called if "FF1", that would've made the titles even more confusing than they already were.

The only RPGs that I personally remember seeing with my own eyes back in the early 90s are "Secret Of Mana" and "Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest".
    But then again, I wasn't much of an RPG fan in those days.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 09-12-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Damn. Talk aboot learning sometjing new everyday.

Explains how my sister never played ff1 4 or 6 before the psx. In which she never liked them. Damn..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Damn. Talk aboot learning sometjing new everyday.

Explains how my sister never played ff1 4 or 6 before the psx. In which she never liked them. Damn..
    Yep, none of those games were released in Europe during the 90s.
    I have no idea why, but I believe that there was some myth that "Europeans don't like RPGs that much" back then.

It wasn't a big deal at the time, though - there wasn't really any Internet back then (at least nothing near the kind of Internet that we are familiar with today - it was certainly not something that ordinary people would just have access to at home, I believe Internet started to become well-known in 1995 and truly pick up in 1998 or so), so it was kinda hard to know exactly which games were released in other parts of the world.
    The best way to find out about games from other parts of the world was by reading video game magazines or something, like "Nintendo Power" that Americans fondly remember.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 09-12-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Now that I have things like disposable income, I don't emulate unless I have no access to the game at all in any way - such as a lack of English release, or it is an old game that was never re-released.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Now that I have things like disposable income, I don't emulate unless I have no access to the game at all in any way - such as a lack of English release, or it is an old game that was never re-released.
    Consoles are certainly the best choice if you actually have easy access to them.
    The thing that bothers me to no end though is when some great games are never released in some parts of the world, so that you are forced to buy adapters and all kinds of weird extra stuff just to be able to play the goddamn games.
    For example, I had to buy that awkward "Fire Converter" thing for my SNES about 8 years ago in order to be able to play an American SNES copy of FF6.

Thankfully, nowadays video games are mainstream enough so that most games are released everywhere around the world, which is nice.