Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite ways to travel?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Default Favorite ways to travel?

Hey EOFF just wondering how people like to go from point A to point B. Are you someone who will buy a Plane ticket and fly? Or do you like hitting the cruise ships and enjoy crossing an ocean that way? Do you get excited for a 18 hour Car ride? Or do you take the train?

Which way do you prefer?

Myself I love to fly. Going on a plane on September 3rd and can't wait to feel that feeling again of floating in the air looking down at the clouds.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    Going on a plane on September 3rd.
    Time travel is the best way to travel.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

If it were only possible to time travel.
    [IMG][/IMG]

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

that's kind of a misrepresentation but ok. ways to measure time isn't the same as time itself. It's like saying "distance doesn't exist, only measuring tapes, rulers and yardsticks".

Just like you measure distance between two objects, you can measure how far apart two events are in time. The two are just as intangible. You can't hold a meter, and you can't hold an hour, but I would still doubt that you'd make the claim that distance doesn't exist. If you do, I'm interested in hearing why.

Anyway I prefer to travel by plane, because of how fast it is, the nice view, and also the acceleration as we take off.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Time for me to go into math mode. Ignoring string theory for now because I don't want to deal with it, position in the universe is governed by the function f(x,y,z,t) where x,y,z,and t are unit vectors that form an orthonormal basis. That is x,y,z,and t are all perpendicular to each other. x,y, and z are defined on all real numbers, but t is parameterized such that t>0 and is unilateral. x,y,and z are called the spatial dimensions and t is dimension known as time.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Temporal. temporal dimensions and spatial dimensions.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Flying is horrid but at least after a flight you're somewhere interesting/new. Unless you can pay for business or first class on a plane, I imagine a cruise would be the best way to travel, but I've never been on one so I can't say for sure.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Flying is horrid but at least after a flight you're somewhere interesting/new. Unless you can pay for business or first class on a plane, I imagine a cruise would be the best way to travel, but I've never been on one so I can't say for sure.
    Me either but it does sound like fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I wish I had a car.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love trains in the UK! All the train rides I've been on have been great. I had one to London last year, and the coach was almost empty the whole way, my seat was suuuuuper comfy, and the weather was nice so the views of the English countryside were awesome.

I really, really hate flying. It plays havoc with my teeth - I think it's the pressure in the cabin, and if I nod off while sitting up on a plane I grind/clench my teeth and the last time I did that I had such a sore mouth I couldn't eat without being in pain. Also, people can be real smurfing inconsiderate jerks on flights.

Blog Entries

I can't sleep on aeroplanes, and can never hold my attention for long enough to watch movies on the little screen before getting bored, which make long-haul flights a with my knees pressed into the seat in front a special kind of personal hell. I was flying to Johannesburg last winter on an overnight flight, and by the time we were just leaving the Mediterranean into northern Africa, the lights were switched off and it seemed everybody but myself had fallen asleep. I spent the next 7-8 hours staring blankly forward at the flight path map that was projected onto the front of the cabin, as it moved excruciatingly slowly over the Sahara and the Congo. I will never spell Addis Ababa incorrectly again. The engine noise coupled with the stress position I was in gave me a new sympathy for the poor souls hoteling in Guantanemo Bay.

I also didn't mind train journeys until I did a 50 minute train ride to work for a couple of years. I thought I was losing my mind. The First Great Western tannoy spiel will forever be burned into my eardrums. "Good morning, this is your 'customer host' speaking, this is just to remind you that the Express Cafe is now open, serving a selection of hot and cold drinks, sweet and savoury snacks, sandwiches, and of course [the emphasis here is important], a fully licensed bar." It's 8 o'clock in the morning, but thanks for letting me know I can start on the snifters should the thought take me.

I just like driving now. Luckily the geography of the United Kingdom means that hundred-mile long, gun barrel straight roads are kept to a minimum and you're never far away from a blind corner on a country road to keep you on your toes.

there was a picture here

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I wish I had a car.
    buy one :3

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Trains. Although only really in the UK and some of mainland Europe - things like Eurostar and Thalys are amazing. Within countries though, quality can vary wildly. France's trains are very effecient but don't get much TLC, if they work that's all they care about, regardless of if the insides are dirty, stink of piss etc. Trains in Germany were great. Oh, and of course, I have a huge soft-spot for the London Underground.

I used to love flying, but since moving to France I developed claustrophobia, and if I'm on a really packed plane it can make me incredibly anxious to the point of being sick.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

bike

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Walking is best if the weather and distance are right.

Otherwise, I like being driven around, be it a taxi or by someone I know. I don't have a driver's licence so I can't do it on my own.

Trains and planes are great. I just don't like being in them for very long times because I like to have the freedom to move around more than they allow.

Buses are alright in Edinburgh but most other places I've been they are not so great.

The tram in Edinburgh fits somewhere between train and bus. Probably closer to the trains.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!