Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Top Ten Favorite Worlds

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thumbs up Your Top Ten Favorite Worlds

The joy of the RPG genre is getting to explore various new worlds or even re-imagined places you may actually know. So what are your ten favorite worlds to explore?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

1: Skyrim
    2: the milky way by mass effect.
    3: Ivalice by FFxii
    4: Sinnoh.
    5: termina ( still on the "zelda is part rpg" team.)
    6: I think ive ran out of rpgs.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

10: FFX Spira
    9: FFXII Ivalice
    8: Kirkwall and the free marches
    7: Evermore
    6: FFVI world of Balance
    5: Fereldan
    4: Iverlace FF Tatics
    3: MorrowWind
    2: Earthbound World
    1: Skyrim

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

A whole new world....

Ivalice (FFXII)
    Spira (FFX/X-2)
    World of Balance (FFVI)
    FFV Merged World
    FFVIII World
    FFIX World
    Chrono Trigger World
    Chrono Cross World
    Mario World
    Hyrule

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I can't do ten. There are only like 3 that I find good.

Gaia - FFIX
    Ivalice - FFXII
    Mushroom Kingdom - Super Mario RPG

I have a feeling Hyrule is going to be my forth once Breath of the Wild comes out. My gosh, I still can't believe it. Zelda is now a full fledged RPG.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ten? Eesh. That's really tricky.

Spira, FFX
    I don't like FFX all that much for a few reasons but Spira is freaking gorgeous. It's exotic, magical, mysterious, beautiful... such an incredible world to explore.

Gaia, FFVII
    From just a world map point of view, I adore this world because it inspired me to make my own maps, something which I love doing. It had a varying technology, cultures and lifestyles. The materia/lifestream system fascinates me to this day. There are lots of little places in this world which I really enjoyed seeing and exploring.

World, FFVIII
    A world with no name! This makes the cut for variety in towns/cities and the Shumi/Moomba species. Freaking love them, man. I also love the individual locations a lot, such as Deling City or Balamb.

Arcadia, Dreamfall/The Longest Journey series
    A truly magical world, but with real world politics and all the beauties and horrors that combination allows.

Gran Pulse, FFXIII series
    Utterly gorgeous. I really wish the new games heavily expanded on the background of the world because I would have loved to go back to the "old times" and see what life was like on this planet. Or explore the planet in new times to learn more of the past. The beauty of the world combined with the tragic fate it went through, and the huge potential for story that the mythology allows for... missed opportunity much!? Still, love it.

Hydaelyn, FFXIV
    This world is utterly gorgeous and has a bit of everything. It has maps vast enough to really bring out the best in itself, and reward those who explore. And then you reach the more fantasy-like environments and yeah, it's just my kinda place. What a real fantasy world should be like.

Ivalice, FFT series/FFXII
    Largely meriting it's place because of what we see and experience in FFXII. How come we don't see more games with seasonal landscapes and stuff like that!? I had so much fun wandering around this world. And the tribes, particularly the Bangaa, have always captured my imagination.

Nirn, Elder Scrolls series
    God damn this world is massive and beautiful. Morrowind is the a treasure hoard of fantasy landscapes. Oblivion gets a bit samey but it's just one region. Skyrim really blooms. When I heard it was mountains and stuff I was skeptical because snow landscapes are very much not my bag. But then I explored the world and oh man, I really need to explore it more sometime, it's just got so much to offer.

Myst, Myst
    I don't care, I'm going to pretend that this is an RPG. x( I mean it sort of is, right?

The last one? Eesh, really struggling at this point to pick which ones I like best. The likes of Vana'diel (FFIX), Gaia (FFIX), Cocoon (FFXIII), the worlds from Grandia and Fable... hard to figure out. I'm probably overlooking some other excellent ones, too.

EDIT: Oh, and I deliberately did not include MiddleEarth because I don't feel like it's fair to include worlds that I know primarily through books.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

OK, so when it comes to how fun they are to explore, here's a couple in no particular order.

Xenoblade Chronicles, Bionis and Mechonis - aside from the fact that the concept itself is one of the most original in video game history (a world set on the bodies of two dead colossi? Been there, done that, eh?), it's just so huge, colorful, with fascinating eco-systems, weather, and views. Not to mention it's just filled with people who really make the worl worth exploring through quests, building town relationships, etc.

Final Fantasy XII, Ivalice - in a way, very similar in terms of exploring it to Xenoblade Chronicles, but it has the added layer of tons of history buried deep in the primer if you go out of your way to kill enough monsters. Easily the most grand and epic FF world to explore yet. Here's hoping FFXV can surpass it!

Dragon Quest VIII - as a response to Square saying a classic RPG world map can't be done with newer consoles, out comes DQVIII crafting some of the largest, most robust, and most sensible (biome-wise) worlds in RPG history. It's just so much fun, walking off the beaten path and finding a stunning view and a treasure chests! It's a perfect blend of old school RPG world map and more modern open worlds. Wish more games did this.

Morrowind
    - so I never beat the game because sadly it was making me feel sick when I played it, but the world of Morrowing is just incredibly detailed, unique, and feels really organic when you walk around it. It's all the more impressive when you consider how old it is. Tremendous effor!

Dragon Quest II - okay, so there's gonna be a couple DQs here, and really, I feel DQ is one of those series that consistently gives you worlds that are really fun to explore. DQ II is not a stand-out game in the series, but I really liked how you actually had to put in effort to figure out which paths to take and how to navigate it, which FFs have never really done. So it was very refreshing to me.

Dragon Quest III
    - there's just something to be said about worlds based on real-world geography and non-linear progression. Really, as soon as you get the ship, you get to go anywhere, and combine that with a map view that remains obscured until you visit a specific place and exploring these areas is extremely rewarding.

Dragon Quest VI - same as most DQs, only this time it's actually two worlds that you have to explore back to back, figuring out how they link to each other and abusing that. Really few games handle dual-world gameplay so well.

Dragon Quest VII
    - still working on this game, but I love how the world expands as you progress through the story and you bring the world back to its full glory landmass after landmass. So satisfying.

Golden Sun 2
    - even though the two games are one complete story, I think the first game really has nothing on the second in terms of exploration. The reason I like is so much is pretty much the reason I like DQIII's world so much - it's based on Earth, with all the multiculturalism involved (as an added bonus, the continents are named after what the old continents pre-split were called), and once you get the ship, you can go wherever you want. And that's great.

Final Fantasy VI, World of Ruin - this one needs no introduction. FFVI was amazing in how it first guided you in a linear progression to later let you see the effects of the end of the world on every place you know for yourself. Finding all the characters, espers, dragons, etc. really incentivised you to just go out and explore for yourself.

In no particular order:

Hyrule - The Legend of Zelda series
    So many different incarnations of this world to explore, but all so wonderful. My personal favorite is that of the Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds games. But just throw me into any of these worlds, and I'll have a blast. So much to look forward to exploring in Breath of the Wild as well.

Weyard - Golden Sun series
    I love this world. So many wonders to explore, so many hidden details and puzzles. But, perhaps best of all, such a rich and diverse cast of NPCs. With dialogue from serious and somber, to amusing or touching, you always want to talk to (and Mind Read) every NPC in the game. And find every lost Djinni.

The Net - Megaman Battle Network series
    Browsing the internet is always fun. But browsing the internet as Megaman, with countless secrets to uncover, busting viruses, and fighting bad guys all the way? Tearing into the dark recesses of the Undernet? Fixing broken down code and having it affect the world outside? I love it all. Not your typical RPG world, but very worth exploring. Up until Battle Network 4 killed it.

The Planet - Chrono Trigger
    How many worlds do you get to explore and see grow and change across their entire history? It should be no surprise that the best game of all time makes this list. This world is simply amazing. So much to explore and learn about as you travel it through time and space.

Rune - Shining Force series
    Most tactical RPGs have you bounce from location to location, engaging in battles and not much else. Shining Force eschewed that tradition in exchange for letting you explore the world as a standard RPG overworld, finding useful hidden items, or even hidden characters, as you go. A wonderful world brought to us by Camelot, the same designers behind Golden Sun, who now obsess with making sports games instead of more incredible RPGs.

Adonea - Rune Factory series
    Okay, maybe not a "world", so much as "a countryside around a handful of towns". But few towns have felt so alive to me as those in Rune Factory. With characters that feel like real people, with constantly changing day-to-day dialogue, their own friendships and stories, and tons of events to explore with them all, I can never wait to return to Norad and help fight the evil Sechs Empire while maintaining one of the most productive farms in gaming.

Septerra - Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator
    Seven shells, surrounding a single core. Their own cultures, peoples, and unique geography. Although the game has shown its age, the concept itself felt ahead of its time, and it's a truly unique RPG that I really wish would get an update for modern systems. But, hey, at least you can buy it on GOG for 6 bucks or Steam for 5. And oh, boy, you should.

The World of Pokémon - Pokémon series
    Yes, I need a ton of HMs to fully explore this world (at least, until Pokéride replaces them). I don't care. There are wonderful little critters waiting to befriend me, great NPCs to talk to, fantastic items to find, and such a beautiful world that I thoroughly enjoy every minute in it. While I may not like every region equally, I am always looking forward to returning to the world to explore a new one, or an old one, again.

Gaia - Final Fantasy VII
    How much detail do I need to give about this one? A vast, varied, and incredibly fun to explore world, filled with great characters, fun minigames, awesome vehicles, and tons and tons of FF goodness.

Ivalice - Final Fantasy Tactics series
    I have my issues with FFXII, but the world is not one of them. Ivalice is, for me, one of the greatest worlds Square has made. And, coming from the guys who made FFVII and Chrono Trigger, that's saying something. A rich history, and so many little things to do an explore. From exploring the hidden lore and history in quests, to meeting legendary swordsman, to rounding up some loose cluckatrices, to stopping plots for world destruction or domination, Ivalice is a truly amazing world to explore.

Luxendarc - Bravely Default series
    Can one feel nostalgia for a new game? I did for Bravely Default. Bringing back everything that used to be great about Square, this world shackled exploration somewhat, but made up for it in its characters, incredible lore and history, and, of course, it's music.

That's 11, but I do feel like I've just scratched the surface, and I'm probably forgetting plenty that bear mentioning.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahhh okay

In no particular order:

1. Suikoden V (Falena)
    2. Eternal Sonata
    3. Xenoblade
    4. Final Fantasy VIII
    5. Tales of Xillia (Rieze Maxia)
    6. Trails of Cold Steel
    7. Tales of Vesperia
    8. Final Fantasy IX
    9. Chrono Trigger
    10. Wind Waker (Hyrule)

1. Xenosaga

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Tamriel
    Thedas
    Azeroth
    Ivalice
    Spira
    Sanctuary
    Post-apoc California and the Mojave
    Koprulu Sector - oops forgot this thread is exclusive to RPGs
    Various Pokemon Worlds - Kanto and Johto are probably my faves, though
    The Underground or whatever the Undertale world is called

...running out of ideas, I'll get back to you

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tamriel (Most especially Resdaynia) - The Elder Scrolls
    Ivalice - Final Fantasy
    Thedas - Dragon Age
    Post-nuclear southwest - Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas
    Spira - Final Fantasy
    Azeroth/Outland - Warcraft
    Toran/Dunan/Grasslands/Islands Federation/Falena - Suikoden
    The Milky Way - Mass Effect
    New England - Cataclsym: Dark Days Ahead
    Qud - Caves of Qud

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I'll put this into 3 as I haven't played all that much RPG's, and some I don't care for at all. All belong to FF.

1. Spira (FFX) - Final Fantasies most magical world. I'm slightly biased as well because I love the music in this game, and when I hear it's music I think of the area.

2. World (FFVIII) - It's so otherworldly yet so peacful in places like Balamb & it's Garden, Dollet, & Deling City.

3. Ivalice (FFXII) - Place was just beautiful.

Str8 Pimpin'

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I meant to do a write up for each entry, but I'm feeling a bit lazy lately.

Vortex World (SMTIII:Nocturne)
    Chrono World (Chrono Trigger)
    World of Balance and Ruin (FFVI)
    The Main Planet (Xenogears)
    Bionis (Xenoblade)
    The 22nd and 23rd Century (Front Mission)
    Eastern Kingdom of Mikado and Domed, Infernal, and Blasted Tokyo (SMTIV)
    Suikoden World (Suikoden I-V and Tactics)
    Ivalice (FFTactics, XII, TA series, and Vagrant Story)
    The Underground (Breath of Fire V)

Final Fantasy VII Universe
    Final Fantasy XIII Universe
    Pokémon Universe
    Drakengard Universe
    Kingdom Hearts Universe
    Silent Hill Universe
    Final Fantasy IX Universe
    Bayonetta Universe
    Zelda Universe