Thread: Least Evil FF Villain

Default Least Evil FF Villain

Thinking mostly of the Big Bads here but we can allow Little Bads if you want.

We've had several thread since I joined here over ten years ago now about which dastardly fiend was the fiendiest and dastardiest. The reverse however, I don't remember at all.

Which villain do you see as the least bad?

Probably Vayne. What was he even doing again? I genuinely can't remember what his motivations were.

Also in the running is Kuja, because although Kuja did some seriously evil stuff he was also really relatable. As Zidane said "If I were in his shoes I probably would've done the same thing". So it's hard to really see him as evil.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If he counts, (Yu) Yevon. Dude just wanted to save his beloved city and people.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Yu Yevon has a consciousness?

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Yu Yevon has a consciousness?
    Not really. Yevon=Ju was a person once. But summoning [Sin] and keeping up all that stuff pretty much destroyed that person. What we see is more of a remnant of a great summoner, the leftover that only remained to exist to re-summon [Sin]. Yevon=Ju/Ebon=Ju/Yu Yevon, neither awake, nor dreaming. The person that existed once was not evil though. I would ever call this giant spirit tick a villain.

Actually it is pretty hard to say "least evil" to guys that want to destroy worlds ... if we do not take Dissidia to flesh out his character I would say Garland because he is simply lacking any story. Other than that maybe Ultimecia, Shuyin or Caius. They are all evil, but they do it out of desperation. Ultimecia hates the SeeDs because she is stuck in a bootstrap paradox. Shuyin is just some poor guy that had some bad luck and well, Caius wants to help the person he loves the most. Not that they are the only ones that are desperate. Genesis is also to be pitied for example.

Golbez, I guess.

Most of what he did was under mind control. The only truly awful thing he did, was neglect and abandoned baby ! Cecil.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Yeah probably vayne. I dont even remember what he was doing either

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The ultimate non-villain in the series is obviously Gilgamesh but since we're gravitating towards Final Boss villains, I will concur with Caius and Vayne, as both had nobler, if completely selfish, ambitions which just unfortunately involved screwing everyone over in the process.

I would probably also say Cloud of Darkness in the original, the Remake changes it so it's manipulating Xande but the original just has her show up when the balance finally comes out of whack. I mean you can't fault a reality annihilating eldritch being from doing its job, and it doesn't really seem to feel one way or the other about it's roles.

In more spin-off directions, I would say the ultimate for me are both Weigraf and Mewt from the FFT/TA titles. Both start off with good intentions and just kind of falter as their worlds fall apart around them. Weigraf does ultimately become a force for evil when he chooses to become a vessel for the Lucavi, but Mewt eventually sees the errors in his ways and redeems himself. His father Judge Cid and his man servant Babus are probably even better examples since they turn even before he does.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You could also pretty much argue that at that point Wiegraf isn't really Wiegraf anymore, so him not being evil is actually a valid point.

Fujin and Raijin. To be honest, are they even villains?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    You could also pretty much argue that at that point Wiegraf isn't really Wiegraf anymore, so him not being evil is actually a valid point.
    When we first meet Wiegraf he really was just a down on his luck guy who wanted to do good for those less fortunate. But ya, in the end was it really him still is a valid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Yeah probably vayne. I dont even remember what he was doing either

Wasn't he supposed to be the Final Fantasy version of Donald Trump ? I can't remember much of him either.

Dr Cid should've been the main lead of FFXII. The Final Fantasy version of Hillary, both crazy and insane.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Kanno pretty much nailed my response before I even made it, including Gilgamesh initial thought. Nice.

Fujin and Raijin aren't what I'd call villians, but I suppose you could argue they were around the same as the likes of Rude, Reno, Elena, Tsung, etc. If you do include them, then yeah, they're just loyal, sorta like Arbok and Wheezing with Team Rocket. They love their masters but they know their masters are bad. But they don't do bad things unless their masters order them to.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Fujin and Raijin aren't what I'd call villians, but I suppose you could argue they were around the same as the likes of Rude, Reno, Elena, Tsung, etc. If you do include them, then yeah, they're just loyal, sorta like Arbok and Wheezing with Team Rocket. They love their masters but they know their masters are bad. But they don't do bad things unless their masters order them to.
    Yeah, might as well throw Biggs & Wedge in there too from FFVIII.

Agreed with Vayne. What about Vegnagun? I forget his intentions but he's certainly forgettable IMO.

Str8 Pimpin'

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

palmer