Thread: FL Plays the Persona Series

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

True, but then with all the animes and sequels, it did feel like it overstayed its welcome.

You're lucky since you played it right before P5's release, so Atlus has been focusing their energy on that. Back in the day, it was like being constantly nudged by the mm saying "Hey, remember P4? That game was awesome, wasn't it? You loved it, eh? Come on, admit it! You smurfing love it! HAVE A MILLION SEQUELS WHY DON'T YOU!!!"

Too bad P3 never got so much attention

Articles
    Blog Entries

I would say they squeezed Persona 4 to within an inch of its life. Dancing All Night was my limit with the series.

Having said that though, I thought Persona Q would only be 'okay' but I ended up loving it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved parts of it (big Strange Journey fan here), but the stupid elements were way too OOC for me, and then there was the main story that was just "meh"

Articles
    Blog Entries

I actually really liked the main story! I mean, sure, you are dripfed the main arc throughout the first two-thirds of the game, but the fourth festival onwards ramped up the tension and intrigue for me. I can see how it can be a chore though. The main arc doesn't really exist allthat much in the first two/three festivals.

I liked the OST as well, come to think of it, it was very well done.

The main thing I disliked was just how broken the combat balancing was. Party members like Naoto or Junpei were way OP compared to say, Teddie.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh no. Like I said, I'm a Strange Journey fan. I'm fine with a narrative that starts off very slow. I just didn't think the final chapter delivered compared to other titles. I can see what it tried to do, but it just fell flat, ringing hollow compared to the emotional impact of P3 and P4.

The problem stems directly from the fact that you can't shove a twist and ending that's meant to be satisfying on a character level (what P3 and P4 did) on a narrative that doesn't focus on the characters - because, let's face it, it doesn't. The whole draw of the game is that it's a fun crossover for P3 and P4. All of the characters are horribly flanderized, sometimes to the point of being unrecognizable (hi, Akihiko). But that could have worked if the story had stayed a bit more on the self-aware, dumb, innocent side.

Instead the game wants us to care about some two-dimensional characters as much as we did for the characters in the main series, who we managed to get to know and bond organically through a school year we pretty much attended, not to mention the social links. PQ just doesn't have the character build-up that could make that end part work.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I see what you mean. I don't know, I think I managed to like Rei & Zen enough to connect with the (admittedly) mood whiplashed final chapter.

They could've transitioned from fun cross-over to serious story a bit better, that's true.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

See, I like mood whiplash. FFVI is one of my favorites, and that game perfected it.

But yeah, the problem here is that the narrative expects me to care about characters that are just way too bland to work.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I guess we'll have to disagree, because I think Rei & Zen weren't two-dimensional!

I should probably play another SMT game at some point down the road, come to think of it. Maybe Strange Journey?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I kinda want a break from the IV-verse, to be honest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But... you played that like, ages ago?

Go with any of the games FL played, then. Nocturne is widely praised, but trust me, it is hard. So is Strange Journey. Probably the most accessible would be Digital Devil Saga, but it's far from a traditional MegaTen, since you don't summon demons. But it has a really good story.

Another recommendation would be Soul Hackers, or any of the PS2 Raidou Kuzunoha games. The Devil Summoner series in general is a lighter take on the SMT formula, being more urban-fantasy than post-apocalyptic (also, takes place in the Persona continuity). The Raidou games are Action RPGs though, so keep that in mind!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I only finished it in December

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

WAT

Anyway, if you want to play on a handheld, definitely go for Soul Hackers.

And then there's also Devil Survivor which... Eh. It's definitely a better SMTxFire Emblem than the actual crossover we got, but then it's got the most annoying characters I've ever had to suffer through so

So I'm tired. I wanna get this done with and go take a nap.

A lot of the time playing P3 and 4, I was reminded a bit of a BioWare game. Not precisely of course but I would not a tall be surprised if there is a lot of overlap. The comparison especially occurred to me when reflecting on the plot of Persona 4. It is an often-stated pro/con assessment of BioWare that they can make great characters but write bad plots. Well, the plot of P4 is certainly nothing special. The Gas Station Attendant was the root of it all? Really? I have no problem with who the killer was. I think that worked. But overall, the story feels merely like it's a vehicleto move the characters along because they are the real focu. The plot of P4 is also not even remotely subtle if that bothers people. Then again, none of the Persona games have been subtle in their messages from what I've seen. It's not a drawback for me but a lot of people get annoyed when something "preaches at you" or whatever.

I recall discussing what alignments the Persona cast would be. Yu is just as Neutral as the P3 Protag in my book. I mean, this game, just like the last one, has you throw off the tyranny of gods or destiny and say man will stand on his own.

Now, as I just stated, the draw of these games is hanging out with your buddies. So who were my faves? Well a big improvement in this game as compared to 3 - at least the version of 3 I played - was having S Links with the guys. I feel bad I neglected Kanji but I had to make some sacrifices. Still, there's no doubt my favorite characters ended up being Yosuke, Chie and Marie. Chie really surprised me because she sounds nothing like the other role I've heard from Ms. Fitzgerald and indeed, Chie's character is pretty different as well. But she's just so infectiously enthusiastic and lovable. "KABOOM!" Yosuke is of course Bro #1 and while I definitely understand the dislike for him or at least some of the things he does, I don't think his negative aspects drag him down. They are few and far between. Mostly he's just a lovable goofball who is always there for you and everyone else. Is he a bit too "forced" in terms of his constant obsession with the opposite sex and his rudeness towards Kanji's alleged homosexuality? Absolutely. Because he's a teenage guy. I remember how it was. And Marie is just lovely. I adore her design, voice and storyteline. Is it BS Mary Sue stuff that she's actually this all powerful goddess that all the other all powerful beings are from? Probably. But oh well. As I said, the plot of this game is not its draw. Marie's Valentine's scene makes up for all that plot stuff. Still, while I had favorites, I loved ev eryone in this game. Because they are all your family.

On a similar note, amazing OST overall but I still had stand-out tracks I adore. I think the best songs in the game are "Corner of Memories" the title screen theme,, Marie's dungeon theme, SMILE, the somber S Link music that I could listen to forever and part of why every S Link is amazing (along with the added voice-acting. Voicing the last two S Link scenes was genius), Your Affection,Snowflake and Mitsuo's version of Face Myself, which is apparently a Golden addition. I was told to hold off on playing 4 until I could get Golden. Thank God I did that. Looking up all the additions to P4G, It's a whole different game in a lot of ways.

But yeah, I mentioned BioWare earlier. I haven't felt this satisfied with a game since Mass Effect 2. Persona 4 was pretty much perfect as I think it accomplished everything the developers wanted to accomplish. I have never really sat down and compiled a list of my favorite video games ever but rest assured that if I did, Persona 4 Golden would be on it. I look forward to replaying it on Very Easy and with all my attributes maxed so I can actually see all the S Links.

Now...in spinoff news, what the heck is Persona Q? I've heard mixed things about it, to put it lightly. What kind of game is it? When is it set? So much is already happening to the Persona crew with the Arena games and all.

Speaking of which, I love Mitsuru's outfit. She makes me think of a Captain from Bleach. Remember Bleach? No? Well that's probably for the best. In any event I only loaded it up to try it out a bit because I haven't played a fighting game in years. I can't even use Mtsuru in Story Mode. Also I am Yu now and I can actually talk. It's weird.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Persona Q basically takes place in the middle of both games and the characters are all transported to this pocket dimension outside of time. Which is why they can meet.

Gameplay wise, it kind of has elements of Strange Journey and old Persona games. It has you explore dungeons in first person (you can even draw your own map!) and every party member can switch personas, but it works a little differently - everyone has their main persona that can't be changed, but they can also each equip a sub persona for more skills. The game is really fun and has a lot of great moments, but the main drawbacks are that characters are mere caricatures of themselves - Akihiko's basically just a manchild that won't shut up about protein, for example - and that the story is really at its weakest when it tries to be serious.