Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: FL Plays the Persona Series

Well I'm not going to be playing it anyway since it's for the 3DS. Oh well.

I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts on the game, though. Like, favorite characters or music? Do you agree with my asessment these games' meh plots are saved by great characters?

Also most important question, best clothing for everyone? I wore a Bath Towel and nothing else for the last few dungeons. It's how I saved the world!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't necessarily think the plot is weak - I just think that its crafted around the characters by design. I liked the mystery of P4, to be honest, and it did leave me wondering throughout the game. Also, as unintuitive as it was, I liked how the end part really did require you to push through to really get to the core of the mystery. That said, I do feel P4's narrative is a tad more disjointed than P3's.

With that in mind, both games do a really good job with maintaining their themes both in the main story and in the social links. While I enjoyed P3's "death comes for us all so instead of giving into despair through false hope or something, just embrace the fact that life is short and live it" more than P4's "be true to yourself and don't give into lies", I still think they're both excellently executed.

From P3, my favorite characters were Junpei and Yukari, as well as Aigis, with Jumpei being pretty much my favorite game character of all time. I feel that the characters you meet first get the most time to really show all the intricate layers to their character, and I don't think I've ever seen another character who struggled with issues of confidence, resentment, and pride and how that influences your relationships in such a human, relatable way - to me, of course (also, his social link on the female path is just painfully adorable). Similar with Yukari - she may not be the nicest, but she also doesn't go overboard with it, and the reasons for it are completely justified. And then Aigis is just a big fat woobie, especially if you max her link on the female path since that adds an additional layer of gayngst to the mix.

The cast of P4 is designed to be easier to like, which kind of has its drawbacks, imo. For example, the second time I played P4 I noticed how much Yosuke annoyed me, and not just because he was a homophobe - I can legitimately see how he was written as a sort of "anti-Junpei" - you yourself noticed that, FL (incidentally, did you know that he was planned as a gay option? And it was so far in development that there's actually lines provided by Yuri Lowenthall from that path hidden in the disk?) I mean, it's nice that he tries hard and that he's really reliable, but so much from his social link was like "omg we're such good bros!"

I still liked him, though. There's not a single character in either of these games that I dislike. My faves in 4 were Kanji and Rise. Kanji because I heavily related with his struggle with the social expectations of masculinity and how apparently liking "girly" stuff makes you a worse person for some reason? And then Rise shows that just because people associate your bubbliness with some shallow image you're maintaining, you should still be you and do what you love. There is no real me - everything you and other people see about you is still you, with none of the being more true than the other. So just keep being that multifaceted you that you are! Love here theme.

Since you're an SMT fan what did you think of my assessment that Yu is Neutral just like the P3 Protag? Both games have a pretty solid smurf the gods/go humanity message.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Like I said before, I think the alignments are more represented by the heroes who (always tend to be on the neutral end of the spectrum).

It's also important to remember that both Nyx and Izanami were manifestations of specific aspects of the human psyche - the longing for death and for an escape from truth and pain respectively. So it's less "screw gods" and more "damn, people, we need to get a grip!"

I didn't know Nyx was part of the human consciousness. And Izanami is the one who went on about being a god.

Thanks for the response though. Another question!

Anyone here a Harry Potter fan? What Houses would the heroes best fit in? Mainly thinking of the Investigation Team but SEES works too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ooh, never thought about it! As a devoted Ravenclaw, I will deliberate on that

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yukiko and Naoto are probably Ravenclaw. Maybe Yu could be Gryffindor and Chie is Hufflepuff?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chie is Gryffindor af. So is Yukiko, IMO

Heck, most of the cast is Gryffindor simply because of how much courage facing yourself takes

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have no experience of Harry Potter to be honest, so that was a stab in the dark.

Trying to go back to DDS after Persona 4 was a bad idea. It is so incredibly sluggish, Serph runs with the speed of an old man out for an easy jog, and the encounter rate is every bit as terible as I remember. Also that is some really lazy final dungeon music.

Gonna be without Internet for a couple weeks. I need something to do but I don't think completing DDS will be it. Maybe I'll try Raidou 2. Or, hell, since I'm going back to JRPG's I bought but never really played, I could maybe give Tales of Symphonia HD a try.

I've also got P2 Eternal Punishment but I lost my IS save data so what's even the point.

I was told not to because its combat sucks. As such I only bought the second one off PSN.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not the best, but it doesn't suck. And it's a direct sequel, so you might miss out on stuff. Plus, it has Rasputin in it.

Well I can just play Symphonia and then get Raidou 1 next month.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Glad to see you've plunged into the MegaTen fandom with the rest of us. Mad props for taking down Nocturne as well since it may be my favorite game in the franchise.

547698.jpg