Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: FL Plays the Persona Series

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Also I should mention I know Sudo is The Joker in EP.I'm not sure how big of a spoiler that is going into the game. I'm kinda hoping to keep things interesting and surprising so the climax feels more...climactic than IS did. Sudo being the Joker is all I know about EP.

And fair enough about IS Hitler always being Nyarly but I wonder about how deep that rabbit hole goes. Like, rumors make people go crazy and act differently but can they actually create all new life or is it just Nyarly? Were all the knights and Nazis just it, as well? The last group of Longinus Knights definitely seemed to know what was going on and made me think they might be Nya, too.

Also those weird Mayan Aliens who have your powers feel like we were being trolled. Again, another reason I'm wondering if rumors can actually create thinking lifeforms or if they are just it in different forms.
    A little of both actually... It's hard to say sometimes but generally the figures moving the plot along are usually accepted to be Nyarly, but there are also cases where he does seem to have more autonomous figures. He kind of brings someone back from the dead in EP, but it's shown that said figure is actually separate from Nyarly and well aware of his presence unlike when he assumed Jun's father's form. He's confirmed to be Jun's dad, Maya's dad, Joker's Persona, and Hitler in IS. He also has a fourth form that actually helps you cause he'e the ultimate troll. He obviously takes a few new forms in EP but I won't spoil any of that since two of you are playing it right now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

One thing's for sure though.

Eternal Punishment is hard

I can already tell it's going to take me like, three times as long as IS to beat if only because I actually have to think about the party composition this time around, rather than just relying on hand-out Personas.

So I had a theory that Persona games with punchy girls are the best Persona games hence why I love Innocent Sin and Persona 4. (for me it goes P4G > P2IS > P3FES > P5)

But apparently Makoto was the punchy one in P5. I never used her. Oh well.

Theory destroyed but Ulala is still the best character in Eternal Punishment so far.

Also people love to compare P5 and P2 but I see some P4 in P2. Sumaru City and Inaba both have way more life and character to them than Tokyo ever did.

If I was smarter or a better writer I would like to do some sort of Persona meets Nocturne story where the Reason people are actual characters you care about instead of unlikable jerks. The fact they are all uninteresting and unlikable really undermines the whole idea, which is a great concept.

First half of the game would be making Social Links with them and then the second half is them setting out to remake the world according to their ideals.

Imagine your various Persona buddies trying to think up how a new world should be run.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    So I had a theory that Persona games with punchy girls are the best Persona games hence why I love Innocent Sin and Persona 4. (for me it goes P4G > P2IS > P3FES > P5)

But apparently Makoto was the punchy one in P5. I never used her. Oh well.

Theory destroyed but Ulala is still the best character in Eternal Punishment so far.

Also people love to compare P5 and P2 but I see some P4 in P2. Sumaru City and Inaba both have way more life and character to them than Tokyo ever did.
    I feel P4 borrowed a lot from P2 than P5 did. P5 mostly has the conspiracy plot element, that one villain type deal in the plot, and the story eventually focuses on more adult things.

I find it amusing that in the course of six entries, only two of them have male fisticuff characters. Course I feel the fisticuff characters in general are usually some of the more likable characters.

I've also never met an Emperor Arcana playable character I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I feel P4 borrowed a lot from P2 than P5 did. P5 mostly has the conspiracy plot element, that one villain type deal in the plot, and the story eventually focuses on more adult things.
    You're the first person I've seen who says P4 was like P2. P5 was the one I see praised for its "return" to older ideas and tone and blah blah blah.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well I mean both stories begin with characters investigating whether a rumor is true, both stories have a theme of making the cast explore their less pleasant sides and what not. Chie borrows a few traits from Lisa from her love of kung fu to the fact she speaks a bit of Cantonese as well, Yukiko retains a part of Ekichie's story of being expected to take over the family business they have no interest in, and once again we have a police affiliated character whose storyline involves investigating a cold case involving a family member.

Granted P5 borrows just as much: The whole plot is kicked off by (SPOILER) a bet, real world people are aware of the supernatural element going on in world and have built a conspiracy around it, Ann also takes elements from Lisa, Yusuke takes a few design elements from Jun, the Nijima sister's story with each other is a reversed age version of the Suou brother's story, and both stories involve battling corrupt and perverted versions of people's psyche.

Both plots also involve the parties facing off with a manipulative human villain who is ultimately shown to be simply a pawn of a greater supernatural force born from mankind's darker personality traits. So yeah, both games borrow elements from the second entry. Persona 3 borrows a lot of it's ideas from Persona 1 as well.

I can't believe they've already killed off Sudou again. I remember when I first played Innocent Sin i seriously didn't think he died on the blimp. It felt so anticlimactic. Well, it's even worse this time around. What the hell game. He had a great voice, too.

It was nice that an OP Tatsuya joined the party for a bit, I guess but I'm still not happy.

On the other hand, I'm relieved the Sky Museum was so much easier this time. Unless I just left some kids to die, the last floor, the one with demons on it, had a couple different sets of children to rescue in IS. Here, I just saved one and it let me go up the stairs.

Of course I told that cheating piece of garbage that Ulala wasn't a bad person. What kind of monster would agree with hi??

Tony: I'm a smuggler in a Sicilian Mafia. By the way, what's a "Sicilian Mafia?" I don't know but that's what I am.

If any quote could encapsulate how insane Sumaru City is, it's this one.

So I haven't even been bothering leveling up Maya's Strength. I made Tatsuya good at pretty much everything but with Maya I figure leveling up Strength is a waste of time. I am giving her Vitality though. She won't be as squishy as in IS.

Weren't Spell/Skill Cards not even in the original versions of P3 and P4 but later additions to P4G and P3P? Yet here they are, all he way back in Eternal Punishment. What nitwit decided to get rid of them? I love having these. The gameplay really is so much better in EP it's quite startling.

Playing through P2 is kinda like playing through a more repetitive and dull Final Fantasy III where you get a neww Job/Persona and just spend forever grinding it back up to the level of your previous Job/Persona. I'm just grateful EP is a lot faster than IS was and I've already found Personas with Trafuri and Estoma.

trout there's a lot more to do in this game than there was in IS. I just got "Ellen" in my party and I can fill out maps and get stuff for that. That is awesome and something I see no problem doing. But there's also collecting materials to make new equipment and the Jewelry place sells a ton of very expensive stuff that I have no idea what it could be used for. Also I can try to locate people for the one lady. That seems really boring though so I dunno if I'll ever do that.

Well I love Ellen and I just got done with Sumaru TV. Plot is interesting now and I assume that was the Persona 1 MC being imitated by the Shiki Cat. But you knowk, none of that matters because I'm smurfing pissed off. I spent hours in that trout hole trying to complete the map. I went back and re fought the boss after combing over every floor a second time. Still not complete, still no Card. smurf. You.

Gameplay really does ruin the plot of video games. Maybe I should just play Persona 1. Ellie is ny new fave character anyway.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now that you said Ulala is a good person, you can actually get Maia to mutate into Maia Custom! It's not as easy as in IS though and you actually have to try and trigger a mutation this time around. But Maia CUstom is decent enough. Would recommend.

So you've kind of outrun me but that's fine since I won't be able to play as often as I did for a while. I went the Nanjo route though. As much as I like Elly, I felt a much greater connection with Nanjo in my P1 run and felt his cameo in IS was much too small compared to Elly's prety crucial role in the plot. The LAboratory is... pretty interesting, to say the least.

See, that's kinda what I was talking about when I played IS. There's no real way to tell what effect some of your decisions will have. How in the world was I supposed to know that being nice to Ulala was how you trigger a mutation in Maya's original Persona? That's kind of annoying. Still, good to know. Thank you.

But yeah, I was told to go with Ellie because I like Ulala. I dunno why but it was strongly recommended to me by multiple people. I don't really care for Nanjo from what I've seen but maybe I'll warm up to him when I play P1.

And thanks again for the tip.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Idk, to me all the choices were logical.

Ginko, Eikichi and Maya - all three were dealing with issues and they had the opportunity to overcome them on their own. In their cases, the right choices were the ones where you decied to trust them and let them take that opportunity to grow.

Yukino - she wasn't making a conscious choice to face her problem. She was shaken with grief. Like Wolf said before, breaking down like that goes against everything Yukino stands for. SO you give her the same kind of pep talk she would give you, because that's the attitude she values. Your "get a grip on yourself" at that moment gives her the strength to move on.

Ulala - a sleazy-ass dude is trying to absolve himself of his sins by putting all the blame on Ulala, who really only did the thing because she didnt know any better and even though part of that was her actual resentment speaking, overall she really loves Maya and wouldnt want to hurt her. Not only does she need to hear words of enocuragement at this moment since she's kinda hating herself already, the dude can't think he can just shift the blame like that. Ulala calling the Joker wasn't cool. But him trying to make himself look good by comparison despite the stuff he's done is just disgusting. Which is why the right choice is to tell him to shut up because Ulala is a good person.

BTW, I doubt you'd like Nanjo, since he's of the "lovable asshole" type

I disagree with that first bit about the characters in IS but I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the effect of your choices. As I said, how on Earth would you know that saying this thing to Ulala will make Maia's Persona Mutate?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's really just kind of a secret reward for being a decent person.

It's the only mid-upgrade in the game, though. So don't worry.

I always try to get at least 3 new Personas before a new dungeon as not only a means of security (more offense and defense options can never hurt) but as a way to make the horrible dungeons less tedious. But, really, thank smurfing God Persona 3 and onward made it so only you get new Personas. Having to get everyone new Personas and having to Rank each of them up is just...ugh.

Also did you ever notice how the Personas are built weird? Personas with way higher Strength will have no physical skills or mostly have magical skills. They really are just smurfing with you.

This game is very nice to you with Megido. First on Pixie and then on Agripa. There's really no reason not to spam it too since, while exploiting enemy weaknesses is good, it hits everyone for really good damage. Unlike the later games where Almighty attacks really aren't always the best because you have Boost or Amp actually making elemental spells stronger, here Almighty spells reign supreme. And there are A TON of them. I'm glad P3 and onward simplified it. You just need the Megi spells and that's it.

The game also really wants you to use weapons. It put so much effort into making weapons unique with various effects or critical rates but why would you ever use anything but Persona abilities?

Spoilering the rest of this for Fynn's sake...

(SPOILER)
    Just completed Smile...again. You know, P2's dungeons are even better the second time you play through them in short order. Poor Ginji, though. He never can catch a break whatever the reality. On the bright side, I actually completed this map and got a pretty bitchin' reward for it so that made me happy.

Also had a nice moment with Katsuya and his old police chief who is now dead. Sumaru City is a flying spaceship in this reality too. How neat. But I kinda get the feeling at least some of what he was saying will turn out to be bunk. Why would such a low level flunky know the full plan? Also they still haven't really established why only certain people are being gathered. Our heroes frequently ponder this and it is one of the more intriguing mysteries in the otherwise rather generic "destroy the world" plot.

Ellie: Don't positive people claim that good people an accentuate their abilities? Hmm, I still don't understand this country....

I have no idea what this could mean.

Also I was looking at Reddit and dummy me I glanced at the thread about hardest SMT bosses. I thought it would be hardest SMT bosses but it included Pesona talk, too.
    (SPOILER)I fight Philemon? And Maya? The smurf? I guess these are spoilers but hell if I understand how they'll work. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Maya's gonna drive a boat? The music kicked in and everything! I'm so exci-

Ulala: Oh no you don't!

-music abruptly cuts off-

....oh poopy.

Filling out the maps is tedious nearly beyond endurance but the rewards are un-smurfing-believable, to quote Christopher Walken. It's worth the pain.

(SPOILER)What was even the point of this Guido guy being around?

And thee goes Ellie...NOOOOOO. This Tatsuya is no proper replacement. On the bright side though I now have access to more Personas than I know what to do with. I also have so many amazing Cards from killing brain cells by completing all these maps.

I wonder if the next dungeon is the final one. Kinda eager to see this thing wrap up.