Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Thread: FL Plays the Persona Series

Articles
    Blog Entries

I mean, it makes thematic sense to leave Chidori and Shinji to their fate. But I can't abide by such tragedy.

As for romancing both, I mean, I certainly didn't intend to romance Shinjiro, and the dialogue didn't seem to indicate romance on his S.Link. Eh, I don't know. The important thing is, I saved him, and that's what counts!

You can tell I prefer P4 in the P3/P4 battle.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

People nowadays really misuse the word "tragedy"

what is tragic, imo, is that in spite of being fans of this game, people still can't really apply its message to themselves. They can't let go and accept death for what it is and want to "save" the characters from it, despite the fact that they'll die sooner or later anyway. And the fact that, you know, they're fictional, so it should be easier to accept and you should use this opportunity to learn how to deal with the emotional impact of people dying around you? Because you know, you can't just hit certain flags and "save" people from ever dying irl.

That's the reason I like P3 so much more in this case - it's just so much more than blind, feel-good escapism(even though it offers that as well).

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    what is tragic, imo, is that in spite of being fans of this game, people still can't really apply its message to themselves. They can't let go and accept death for what it is and want to "save" the characters from it, despite the fact that they'll die sooner or later anyway. And the fact that, you know, they're fictional, so it should be easier to accept and you should use this opportunity to learn how to deal with the emotional impact of people dying around you? Because you know, you can't just hit certain flags and "save" people from ever dying irl.
    You mean I can't save my terminally ill grandmother by maxing out her Social Link?
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 01-25-2017 at 03:14 PM.

I knew  i was right to love Aigis. The best scene in like the whole game was her finally returning to the group. Her voice-actress hit it out of the park. They all did, really. This game has come a long way since the start when I felt everyone was a bit soulless. I also have to wonder if Ryoji's voice being the same as the protagonist's is intentional. (it's clearly Yuri Lowenthal doing all those grunts in battle. I'm onto you, Sasuke)

The new music for the Dorm is also fantastic and provides a great atmosphere.

Overall, the start of January has really revitalized me. As I said, I was getting kinda sick of the game because it was just dragging. But now things feel alive and they are coming to a head.

So I had some real heartbreaks with getting BS game overs right b efore I got to the last guardian. smurfing bug things killed me with Akasha Arts or whatever when I tried to escape.  I should have just used Trafuri but I don't like to waste SP. But well, I learned my lesson and just Trafuri's my way right back to the top. I lost out on a rare new staff but I guess I'll live. I barely attack any more anyway. I let Mitsuru do everything and just heal.

Poor Aigis seems obsolete. She just has Fatal End and Heat Wave. What the smurf.

Fight with Death Round 1 ended with failure because I'm a smurfing moron. I  should have switched over to Abaddon to keep me safe from all his physical attacks but no, I accidentally just ended my turn and he promptly killed me with Vorpal Blade. smurf. I was so close to, had him down to maybe 25% HP.  But I'm not resting until this SOB is dead. He's plagued my entire game.

Also Aigis has the revive with full HP spell. She is awesome. I take back what I said.

Round 2 ends in failure, was even less close to winning than 1.

Ya know it's also really annoying having to wait around for the asshole to show up, even though I do othe rthings while waiting.

Had him down to a sliver of HP in my fourth or fifth attempt when, guess what, his Attack reverted and he immediately used Megidolaon. It didn't help the fight was taking forever because I had to nerf Mitsuru's damage output in order to keep her alive.

The weakness system in this game is so smurfed up because there's nothing you can do about it except stack equipment on the person and then pray. I had to put two pieces of equipment on Mitsuru so she could actually dodge his fire attacks. Otherwise he just used her as a punching bag all match and kept getting extra turn after extra turn.

Abaddon is a great help in this fight, especially since I have Null Light on him but we just can't do any real damage to the bastard. It's all just slowly chipping away at him because, as I said, I had to nerf Mitsuru in order to keep her alive. But that just drags out the battle which gives him ample opportunities to wipe us all out with bulltrout Almighty spells.

What's also bulltrout is how buffs wear off in this game. It makes your teammates waste turns and it makes me incredibly frustrated when my turn comes around and it says "Defense Down" and I know this means that defense will be down for all my teammates too but I can't do shi tabout it except let it all fade away and give the enemy a free turn to take a shot at my weakened party members.

I dunno, I was determined to beat the boss but what's the point when it can literally all fall apart in a second through no fault of your own?

I miss Nocturne. And Strange Journey even. I was so excited about the endgame with its great new music and atmosphere but now I'm just irritated.

IMO, Persona 3 easily has the worst combat of any SMT game I've played.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Your teammates are definitely the weak link in this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not really the teammates, just the fact that status buffs run out so quickly. Usually MegaTen games have them last until the end of the battle or until someone dispels them.

That, and I think the Once More/All-Out attack is a flashier yet mechanically weaker and less interesting version of the press-turn system.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the buffs are plenty weaker in Persona games, and I do agree with you about the mechanical weakness of the Once More system. Having said that, Persona 5 is meant to improve it in places, so I'm excited to see what happens with that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the fact that everyone gets both guns and swords again, two elements are coming back from previous installments and there's demon negotiation again, I think it's safe to say P5 is already shaping up to be more interesting mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Not really the teammates, just the fact that status buffs run out so quickly. Usually MegaTen games have them last until the end of the battle or until someone dispels them.

That, and I think the Once More/All-Out attack is a flashier yet mechanically weaker and less interesting version of the press-turn system.
    I actually think that both are, overall, positive additions.

Buffs lasting indefinitely greatly overpowers them in any long fight. Adding in Dispels just tends to make them less useful overall, because any boss who can Dispel will mean you just wasted your turns/SP.

While I don't particularly care for the way the buff system runs out in P3 (as said, being forced to wait a turn without them because you can't renew the duration and they drop off each character one at a time), I think it's generally better practice than "cast this spell once and be objectively better for the next thirty turns of a boss fight". You could also tweak how long they lasted, but I overall think that the duration system added more mechanically, and precisely manipulating buffs and thinking through how they affect your team offered a huge degree of strategy to some fights.

Also, I'm having trouble remembering the mechanics of Persona 3 versus Persona 4 here, so I'm not sure which game the following paragraph is accurate for (or if it's for one of the remakes): I think that All-Out-Attacks were almost inherently better than the base Press/Turn system, the problem is they were overpowered. The mechanical merit is because of a mechanic which a lot of people don't even realize is there: If you strike an enemy with their weakness a second time, they have to waste a turn getting back up (which I believe was a part of the original Press/Turn system). Thus, you had a choice: You could choose to stun enemies, dealing less damage overall, but keeping them from attacking you, or you could deal heavier damage, but allow them to follow up. The problem was, All-Out-Attacks did such heavy damage that it was almost always better to use them over stunning the enemy. While this could help end trash fights quicker, it did steal away some of the mechanical depth, and the option to stun was frequently forgotten about on the higher-health threats (or they had no weakness that could be reliably exploited).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If I remember correctly: In Persona 4 could you extend buffs by reapplying them? I'm sure I remember applying buffs and having it said it lasts longer.

So what exactly is the point of "Monad"? I got so many Game Overs here. I made it up to 10F once and got a completely unsatisfactory amount of Yen and that was it.

In happier news, I love Mitsuru's S Link. She has the most adorable "sad face" ever. Don't worry my love, I will rescue you from that creepy old Japanese guy you are betrothed to. Pay no mind to Chihiro, that's long over. And Elizabeth, well, no one even knows about what happened with Elizabeth I guess. (man, what an unexpected scene that was)

Ya know, I wouldn't have to worry about maxing any S Link if you and your fellows interacted like human beings. I know it's been a long time since I was in school but I seem to recall having the ability to spedn tieme with people outside of school. Like, maybe during a winter break? Okay, enough being coy or clever or whatever. It's smurfing stupid I can't spend time with Mitsuru or Aigis on these no school days. It makes no sense, just like how Mitsuru or Yukari will give you a phone call to ask to hang out on Sundays. WE LIVE IN THE SAME DAMN BUILDING.

Stupid me, I thought this game could be fun in terms of gameplay. I had ONE piece left to form Beelzebub. Just smurfing ONE. Lilith. That's all I need. But no, this game won't let me fuse her no matter what I try. I grind and I grind and I grind, I get up to Level 84, can form the ultimate Empress Persona, but no Lilith. I've made every high-level monster I can and still nothing.

Tch, I'm not looking it up either. If I can't make it on my own, it's not worth having and this game is stupid. I just thought, given I have every other monster to fuse into Beelzebub, it would be cool. But I guess not.

And now I'm probably overleveled for the final boss. I look forward to the unbeatable Nyx being entirely beatable tomorrow.

I should have just finished up the Mitsuru and Aigis SL's and ended this dumb game. I mean, I did finish Mitsuru's and it was every bit as swee tas I had hoped, but I could have probably beaten the game in the time I spent fruitlessly grinding. I just don't like setting a goal for myself and then failing miserably.

Oh and the new school music blows.

I really just need to finish this game because I'm growing more and more sour on it as I fail to finish it.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 01-30-2017 at 05:51 AM.

To make Lilith, you need a Cross Spread special fusion, and to unlock it, you need to have completed Mission 48 for Elizabeth.

Also, the point of Monad is the gear that shows up in the golden chests, and the optional superboss available from the final mission who rests at the bottom of the block.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Monad is definitely endgame content. Some enemies there can be brutal.