Thread: EoFF interviews Ray Chase, the voice of Noctis Lucis Caelum in Final Fantasy XV!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default EoFF interviews Ray Chase, the voice of Noctis Lucis Caelum in Final Fantasy XV!

This past week, Eyes on Final Fantasy had the wonderful pleasure of getting to talk to Ray Chase, the voice of Noctis Lucis Caelum in Final Fantasy XV!

With the release of Final Fantasy XV being just around the corner, we decided to ask Ray questions that you've been sending in to us from around the web. We asked about his thoughts on the upcoming game, his experience with the project, as well as his past exposure to the Final Fantasy series as a whole.

-What has been the most challenging thing about voicing Noctis?
    The hardest part was definitely the transition between the voice I used for Duscae and his voice as it is now. We had to go through many iterations and auditions to make sure it was right! My anxiety levels were very high that month....
    -Has Square Enix approached you to voice Noctis in any sequels or side games?
    As far as I can tell, they are only focusing on FFXV for now! Perhaps in the future a Dissidia game...?
    -What was the most fun part of the Final Fantasy XV project?
    Everything about working on this was immensely fun. The people behind the mixing board, the localization team, the director Keythe Farley - all incredible people and really easy to spend a couple years with in the studio day after day! Also, the story of this game is incredible - simple, yet powerful. Lots of "act-able" moments, which I always get a kick out of doing.
    -How did you react when you heard you'd be getting the role?
    Hehe - I called Max Mittelman first! He's a great friend of mine from way back, and I had been filling him in on the audition! Then, I called my mom....!
    -Did you have previous exposure to the FF series, either as a gamer or an actor?
    As a gamer, yes! I started with the game boy non-canon FF Adventure and Legend 1-3, then found out later that they didn't count!
    I was too young to audition for any other FF....
    -What do you have in common with Noctis, can you relate to him?
    This question comes up a lot, and honestly I don't have much in common with him! To me, acting is all about finding cool and interesting ways to get into someone else's head and state of mind, which means I get more excited about characters who aren't like me.
    -A lot has been said about the relationship of the game's main characters. What is your relationship like with the actors of the other 3 main characters?
    We all only met about a year ago. Adam [Ignis] I got to meet a couple times during production, Chris only once. I got to know Chris [Gladio] a lot better this past week at the Gamestop conference where we both went. Robbie [Prompto] however...that guy I see ALL the time. We're in a TON of things together. It's creepy. I'm kinda sick of him. We even go to a ton of cons together.... maybe one near you someday!
    -Is there anything you do to get in character, emotionally or vocally?
    I always listened to the FFXV soundtrack and the Distant Worlds concerts on my way to every session! Those always get me feeling really passionate about games!
    -Who's your favorite character besides Noctis?
    Ah man. You gotta love/hate Ardyn.
    -And finally, is there anything you'd like to say to the Eyes on Final Fantasy audience?
    I really appreciate your love of the games! I see your articles on reddit all the time, so it's how I get my news too, sometimes! Thank you for the questions.
    Big thanks again to Ray for taking the time to answer our questions! If you'd like to contact Ray yourself, you can find him at Raychase.com or send him a tweet @RayChase. Eyes on Final Fantasy would like to continue asking voice actors questions from you in the future, so if there's anyone you would like us to reach out to, please let us know in the comments!

"Non-canon FF Adventure and Legend"? Not canonical to what? Lol.

If anything, they are just called FF out of convenience without being actual FFs, being Saga and Densetsu games, et cetera. And even Adventure is "somewhat" an FF, even in Japan.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Ray seems like a pretty cool guy and obviously has some real knowledge of the FF franchise. Respect to that man!

Thanks EoFF for being able to do the interview with Ray Chase. I really like that the English cast are enjoying themselves while working on FFXV.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dude seems cool! Really enjoyed this. Now I'm just looking by forward to the release date!

Articles
    Blog Entries

What a great article. I find it impressive he gets in character by listening to FF music on the way to recording sessions.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Nice interview! Thanks for asking my question. It was good of Ray to take time to answer these questions for us, and I'm looking forward to hearing how all his (and the other VA's) hard work will come together in the full game.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

my question wasn't asked
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)