Thread: "I Swear, the Sorceress from the future Made me do it!"

Default "I Swear, the Sorceress from the future Made me do it!"

I'm watching an LP of FFVIII where the hosts are mercilessly mocking this ridiculousgame. They are absolutely refusing to let go of Edea as the villain and who can blame them?

Basically all that happens is you beat her up and then she's like "no, it wasn't me doing all these things! I swear! IT WAS THE SORCERESS FROM THE FUTURE CONTROLLING MY MIND!!!"

And our heroes just nod and say "makes sense to me" instead of, I 'unno, stabbing the crazy evil woman who tried to murder them all.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Er...but it is someone making her do it. So what's the issue? A character like Beatrix in FFIX is far more culpable than Edea is (and helps kill a lot more people), so are you also suggesting it's ridiculous that her change of heart is accepted by the other characters?

And I never understand this mocking of FFVIII for its plot points, which are no more outlandish than what gets offered up by every other FF game.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I think what he means is that they dont know that ultimecia is controlling her. For all they know it could be a last trick to lower the partys guard and then strike unexpectedly.

They remembered Edea as lovable mama. Of course it was easy for them to believe what she said. Both logically, as well as emotionally.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Well then ultimecia is an idiot because she coulda used that to her advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Well then ultimecia is an idiot because she coulda used that to her advantage
    Use what? Ultimecia is a sorceress full of hatred that comes from her future self being slain and that being pre-determined through the bootstrap paradox. She cannot feel anything but hatred and cannot act other than how she did otherwise the bootstrap paradox would not work out the way it does. Her hate is her own doom. Bootstrap paradox aside you can still call that stupid if you want but as most she is just a slave to her own emotions. They might have added to the bootstrap paradox story that after CD2 Edea was still under her spell, true and that she just fooled them but it might not have fit that blind hatred of hers or not allowed enough room for the entire part where Rinoa was under her spell or be too complicated for a twist ... et cetera. It could have been interesting but I see it as okay the way it is. And as said for such blind hatred that dooms her anyway I see it as very okay.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 09-29-2016 at 06:25 PM.

"Im sorry occifer, i was being made to do it."

edeas grandfather fell out of a guard tower probably

Articles
    Blog Entries

I see you haven't changed.

I don't know. Seems to me that after you've time traveled into other people, believing that could happen to someone else doesn't seem like much of a stretch. Especially when you're already trying to reconcile the person you see with the one you knew in the past.

Ultimecia is basically a Scooby-Doo villain.