View Poll Results: What should I play in celebration of Halloween?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silent Hill 3

2 25.00%
  • Silent Hill 4: The Room

0 0%
  • Fatal Frame

3 37.50%
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent

0 0%
  • May I make a suggestion (see post)

2 25.00%
  • Reaganomics!

1 12.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Halloween Gaming 2016 Edition

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Undertale has the advantage of being really short compared to many games listed, like Silent Hill (the game time counter counts minutes, just to give you a sense of how long you're expected to beat it in), so you could technically get a couple of games in.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to say right now that Undertale is probably a non-starter for me for this event. I know very little about it, and I certainly plan to play it in the future, but I'm really looking for something that will be more "fun playing in the dark" if you know what I mean. I want to actually be scared, and I just don't really believe Undertale is going to be able to scratch that itch for me. I'm hoping to recreate my experience going through Silent Hill 2, where my mind actually started to play tricks on me cause the game got into my head.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't really think many games can really recreate that Silent Hill 2 feel, though. It's kind of that incredibly subtle type of horror that just fills you slowly but thoroughly with a feeling of existential dread and hopelessness and ends with an incredibly poignant type of catharsis. I mean, yeah, there's a lot of games that are dark, have jump scares and play tricks on you, but I don't think there's a single game that can replicate that type of horror. Heck, even the other Silent Hills can't scratch that. SH3 is more overtly scary, but underneath it's just kind of a coming of age story, and while Silent Hill 4 is as chilling and creepy as any other entry in the series, at its core it's just a guy dealing with a cripling rat infestation that turns out to actually be caused by a murder mystery.

I don't think I've actually been freaked out by a game since Silent Hill 1 and 2, really. Heck, Parasite Eve didn't do anything for me, honestly. Many games may have an unsettling atmosphere or enemies giving you a hear attack, but if you're looking for something to recreate a feeling you had, especially if the game you had it with is Silent Hill 2, it's probably not gonna happen. What "helps" with this is that the more you expose yourself to horror, the more desensitized to it you are, which really can't be helped.

That said, from the more horror-themed games, I say go with Silent Hill. Either one is fine. They're both really good games in their own right, though SH4 has a very special place in my heart for probably being the most fun I've ever had with a horror game. It gets a bad rao which is an incredible shame because I think it's an amazing game. I also love how connected to Silent Hill 2 it is.

SH4 might actually the better choice for you, now that I think about it. As one Internet reviewer once said, it's much like SH2 in that it's more gray than dark, unlike SH1 and 3. As I said, SH3 goes the more overt route to give you scares (which is a bit less effective, in my opinion), while SH4 uses the little things to keep you on edge.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah, Undertale isn't a horror game. A spooky game with skeletons? Aw yeah.

But yeah have a look at Outlast on Steam too.

Alien Isolation is tense and terrifying, but not on a psychological level. Had me afraid to go downstairs at night in the dark though. And I love that feeling

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Alien Isolation is tense and terrifying, but not on a psychological level. Had me afraid to go downstairs at night in the dark though. And I love that feeling
    Yeah, I've been meaning to pick it up. I love Alien.

Sorry I have not been talking about this much. I made the terrible mistake of finally picking up FF TheatRythm: Curtain Call, and it's become a mini obsession. I've also just had more times for handhelds than console/PC at the moment.

The PSP remake of Corpse Party is available digitally on Vita and is still a really good psychological thriller If you need to mix handheld and horror. There's also a way to get the first and second games together at a discount buying it digitally through Amazon. Or at least there used to be. That's how I own them

But I mean, don't fight your gaming desires and feel obligated to do anything in particular. If you just want to play Theatrythm all the time, then just have at it. No stressing over some obligation to play certain games based on the time of year

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I chose to ignore the Vita this console cycle. I got more use out of my PSP as a portable PS1 than I did as a next-gen platform and I could already see Vita was probably going to end up being a redo. So sadly, I can't pick up Corpse Party for handheld.

Oh I still want to play my spooky games, my issues at the moment is that I'll play Curtain Call in anticipation of getting home to console game and next thing I know, I spent the last four hours trying to get perfect SSS ranks on all difficulties for my favorite songs, and I need to go to bed. The other issue I'm having is the game is getting me all nostalgic and wanting to play through various games in the FF series as well and that desire will certainly eat into my console time.

I just need to sit down and start, and I'll be fine with starting my Halloween gaming. I'm just having gaming cravings if you know what I mean.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Oh right, Halloween. I have Dead Space now so I think I'll start a playthrough of that around the holiday.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If I remember correctly there's a game called 'Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem' which, you guessed it, has a sanity mechanic. Basically, the more stressed your character gets, they start to hallucinate, which can include the character, but also the screen as well, like it going black.

I don't know that much about it, but it has a weird-ass plot apparently. And monsters. Have a look I guess.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Having seen an LP of Corpse Party... Yeah, I don't get the hype. It's as subtle as a brick, gratuitous as all hell, and in general just seems unpleasant with all the wrong ways. To me, of course, since horror is subjective. I just don't think extreme gore and panty shots are a tasteful combination.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    If I remember correctly there's a game called 'Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem' which, you guessed it, has a sanity mechanic. Basically, the more stressed your character gets, they start to hallucinate, which can include the character, but also the screen as well, like it going black.

I don't know that much about it, but it has a weird-ass plot apparently. And monsters. Have a look I guess.
    I always wanted to play ED, especially since its based on Lovecraft and I love that stuff. I like how the game's sanity meter would smurf with you the player, like pretending to crash or pretending it erased your save data. Some real Hideo Kojima type stuff.

Still one of my favorite Game Cube experiences. I should try to get it running again. Last time I tried Eternal Darkness, it didn't get very far before completely taking a crap in the opening cut scene. Couldn't tell if it was my Game Cube or the game disc. I can't imagine why it would be the disc unless it underwent data bleed or something, because I take good care of my games. But my Game Cube plays everything else as far as I remember, so eh..

It is a good one though. And if I remember correctly, there's like four endings to it. One play through was enough for me though. I'm not the completionist type. The interesting thing other than the sanity mechanic is that it takes place over like 8 different stories with their own protagonists, and the timelines aren't chronological and it takes a while to piece the narrative together, so there's a mystery aspect to piece together as well which was interesting and fairly well done. Not a lot of games pull off unconventional narrative like that

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Play project zero. Sorry I mean fatal frame. Because it is the scariest game ive ever not played but saw my sister play.

eternal darkness did have 1 creepy monster in it though that got me as a kid.