Thread: Define Final Fantasy

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo Define Final Fantasy

Some people talk about how the series has lost it's mojo, others feel it's getting better and better, and some are wondering what these two camps are smoking. So how would you define Final Fantasy right now?

Articles
    Blog Entries

My image of what makes a Final Fantasy game has become more vague over the years. A simple description might be 'Stories of a small group of people saving the world from a big bad with some pretty crazy plot elements in them that are quite a lot of fun to go through with awesome music playing all the while'. But also, Final Fantasy in particular has always has its recognizable elements in its story, gameplay and characters. Like how you can find themes of nature vs technology in pretty much every instalment.

I can at least say that I don't think any of the recent instalments have 'betrayed' what Final Fantasy really is / used to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Focusing on the main series and ignore spinoff games (including sequels)...

JRPG in which you take control of a character and guide them through their story, generally involving the saving of the world in some manner. An innovative series, each game showcases new features/systems as opposed to just re-using existing systems. Each game is also set in it's own world. As for the MO, it would involve chocobos, crystals, fantasy races, fantasy worlds. Like with everything else in the series, the technology also sees consistent change between traditional fantasy, steampunk and science-fiction, although it should be noted that magic exists in all worlds, and melee weapons are utilized in every game. All battle systems are turn-based to some extent, with more recent games using time and action speed to dictate turns.

I don't think many feel the series is getting better and better. I do think some feel it is getting worse. I feel the majority simply like different games in the series, and the chronology of release matters little in their minds when establishing such things.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Banned

When I hear "Final Fantasy" I pretty much think of Final Fantasy 4 - I always thought that game had one of the strongest atmospheres of all the FF games, and it also contained tons of elements that I consider "classic Final Fantasy", like for example knights, dragoons, wizards, castles, Cid, chocobos, moogles and dragons.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Final fantasy- pronounce: " Fie-nal Fan-ta-see"

A video game RPG series from the company Square.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

SWORDS.