Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Mulan

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...an-gets-934976

Mulan is getting the live action treatment too with a Nov 2018 expected release!

Pretty stoked for this!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, sure, okay. bring it on. I'm not super excited personally, though. The only one of those live action reboots I've seen was Maleficent and it wqas pretty okay, but it didn't really do much to raise my expectations for all these live action reboots. I'm really not sure how I feel about them remaking Beauty and the Beast, but this is cool, I think. For the people who like this, at least.

I'm happy they're casting a Chinese actress. I'm wondering if the entire movie is going to be in Chinese now. That would actually be pretty awesome.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It's obviously not going to be in Chinese. Even Disney would struggle to get audiences to go and watch a subtitled film.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know, it seems Disney are fast running out of original ideas. They're obviously going to make a lot of money from any live action remake. They'll get round to them all eventually.

Confession: I've never seen Mulan!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I don't know, it seems Disney are fast running out of original ideas. They're obviously going to make a lot of money from any live action remake. They'll get round to them all eventually.

Confession: I've never seen Mulan!
    Running out of original ideas? They've made two original animated films this year, and they also made Queen of Katwe this year.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would hardly call their recent releases original.

What do you define as 'original'? Zootopia and Moana aren't sequels or remakes, so I'm calling them original.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    What do you define as 'original'? Zootopia and Moana aren't sequels or remakes, so I'm calling them original.
    I agree that they're original in that sense. I just don't think you can call them truly original when you're just rehashing the same basic story in a different skin.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    I agree that they're original in that sense. I just don't think you can call them truly original when you're just rehashing the same basic story in a different skin.
    Literally every story has been done to death. Every story had been done to death by the time Shakespeare was around--even Romeo and Juliet was a rehash of another story.

This is a silly complaint, Bubba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    This is a silly complaint, Bubba.
    I respectfully disagree.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can sorta see where he's coming from? I remember maybee having a similar complaint about a character archetype being used way too often (the jerk with a heart of gold one, I think) in Disney lately. And in the case of these live-action remakes, I'm both excited and sceptical. Excited, because they appear to be remaking my favourite movies, but sceptical because it seems like a cash grab and implies a lack of creativity, though granted, they do have other projects. Never heard of Queen of Katwe, though.

Like Jinx said though, pretty much every story has been done before in some way or another. Heck, it's why TV Tropes exists. Having said that, what makes new stories fresh is updating it to another setting, giving it a twist, going off-script and surprising us. I don't mind if a story is 'similar' as long as it feels fresh. Plus, it is Disney. If I wanted groundbreaking experimental story-telling I would go elsewhere!

With Disney, you can usually predict a plot twist coming a mile away (which is quite fun to do, actually), and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Mulan's based off of a Chinese legend, but you didn't need to know the legend to guess what happens throughout the film. Despite this, I still loved Mulan. I guess it helps that she's a kickass female. But still.

Having vocalised scepticism, it does makes sense to cash in on the Disney renaissance years of the 1990's. Which'll be good, because I'm not really feeling Moana, to be honest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, completely agreed with Jinx. What stays the same in Disney is what really makes those movies recognizable to us. There is literally nothing that hasn't been done before. It's like saying every FF is the same as the other because they have a common core concept, but they're not.

And damnit, Zootopia is seriously such an important movie that is groundbreaking in many ways, even if at its core it's just another buddy cop comedy. Because when you get right down to it, everything can be summed up as the same as everything else. It's the nuance that makes stuff have its own identity.

Well that sucks, then
    Huh? It's an old Chinese story, but I don't see why it would be better being made in Chinese. If Disney made every film in the language that it's originally based on, they probably wouldn't have so many iconic films. As a child I probably wouldn't have wanted to watch Aladdin in some sort of Arabic language, for example.

I hope this film is more Cinderella than Maleficent though, I hated Maleficent.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Well that sucks, then
    Huh? It's an old Chinese story, but I don't see why it would be better being made in Chinese. If Disney made every film in the language that it's originally based on, they probably wouldn't have so many iconic films. As a child I probably wouldn't have wanted to watch Aladdin in some sort of Arabic language, for example.

I hope this film is more Cinderella than Maleficent though, I hated Maleficent.
    I know, it would have just been cool to see them go that extra mile for once. Not saying it's a necessity, just that it would have been neat.