Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)Yeah, what Mirage said for the most part. A lot of those questions were answered either directly or hinted at in the show. Especially hosts not being able to harm humans. And Dolores definitely has some things happening with her program. It's been heavily implied that the problems that affected her father have passed to her, and it seems she might have passed it to the one running the brothel. I'm not convinced it's actually a matter of faulty code though. I think the update either included code to secretly awaken them to what's been going on, or there's a flaw that has started to awaken them and she's simply processing it all better than her father was able to.

As for how there are enough people who have the money to go there, I'd imagine it's a pretty massive attraction. The sort of thing that many middle class families and individuals might be willing to spend years saving for. Not to mention there are a lot of people in the world who, while probably not mega rich, have earnings into the millions per year. A quick google search tells me that even in 2009 it was more than 230,000 in the US alone. There's a lot of potential customers is what I'm getting at. And even still, they basically all but said in the last episode that the park is one part of the business but that there's a bigger picture beyond that. Likely the park isn't even the most lucrative facet of this technology.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This show does require you to suspend your disbelief more than most, but smurf it, it's about wild west robots. Just enjoy the ride.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

So latest episode (SPOILER)I found myself getting invested in the Wyatt storyline but then sort of stopped myself as I realised it wasn't real and scripted. And then I remembered the entire show isn't real and scripted so what the hell, may as well carry on the ride.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    So latest episode (SPOILER)I found myself getting invested in the Wyatt storyline but then sort of stopped myself as I realised it wasn't real and scripted. And then I remembered the entire show isn't real and scripted so what the hell, may as well carry on the ride.
    (SPOILER)Seemed to me they were bullet proof too so poor Teddy is never getting his revenge since it's people joining up with Wyatt and butchering him as usual.

Articles

I hadn't even considered that. Nice thinking.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's hard for me to get into the host storylines even though it is exactly as you say, Psy.

I guess it's the same for me with video games. Take the obvious parallel, Red Dead Redemption. The NPCs are programmed to play out their roles and engage in certain behaviors whether you interact with them or not, but I never really cared about anything that happened with them and I barely interact with the background. I only cared about John Marston's storyline since that was the real story that I was a part of.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Considering the hosts stories help inform who they are and they're very clearly starting to (SPOILER)go way off script and learn what's been happening to them I couldn't be more interested honestly. Who these hosts are matters, whether their stories are made up or not.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well.. thats the entire core of the show, isnt it? (SPOILER) Robots that become aware of what they are and what has been done to them
    maybe i misunderstood but am i feeling a starting dislike for this show? D:

(SPOILER) i was already a bit 'angry' that the guests couldnt get shot and that they didnt even feel a thing like the old man in the first 2 episodes.. so i was glad when the new guest ( i dont know his name) did feel a shot.. wouldnt be realistic if they didnt feel anything at all. i'm guessing he is used to it after 30 years?

p.s i dislike that obvious badguy English prick :l he's gonna mess stuff up with his new storylines.
    just like Elsie..

Articles

I just call "the new guest" Liam McPoyle.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I find the show super interesting so far and there's so many great actors in it. But every episode I've watched, I keep having this thought in my head of, "How are they going to sustain this?"

I can absolutely see this running as a mini series, but the whole concept is just so singular that I can't imagine unpacking it for multiple seasons, which I think is the intent of the showrunners? They've mentioned already having plotted out 4-5 seasons but I'm pretty dubious.

I can already see how they're trying to expand the mythology of the show, but ultimately I think we all know the basic outline of the show. Robots are human play things. Robots gain sentience. Robot revenge. Right? I could see them spreading out the scope of the show to include the corporate interests, religious angles and whatnot, but still, I wonder about the sustainability of the show. And it's not like Abrams has a good track record with creating mythologies and sustaining them. A lot of his projects just unravel in unpleasant ways as it chugs along.

Anyway, putting all that aside, I gotta say that I really really appreciate the fact that the show doesn't *actually* depict the rape scenes in gratuitous ways like some other HBO shows (looking at you GOT!). It's implied and it's horrific and the consequences of the trauma are already apparent (although I assume it will become even more of an issue as the characters gain more sentience) but it's not shown with the typical male gaze in mind and I appreciate that.

Also, I love James Marsden in almost everything he does and I hope he can survive a full episode soon. We've only gotten snippets of them together but I hope Teddy and Dolores make it together in the end (though Marsden almost never gets the girl!!). I'm already invested in those two and want them to kill all the rapists and live happily ever after. I honestly don't care for the human overlords that much, and I smurfing hate most of the guests.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd normally be worried about anything Abrams is involved in but he doesn't seem to be writing, directing, or otherwise doing anything day to day I can find and most of the other people involved are more talented than him so I'll ignore his involvement for now.

Blog Entries

i dont understand how they can fix the entire masacred saloon in 1 day/night without any guests noticing.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who says the guests don't? They're in on it so just tell them it's closed for the evening.

Articles

I'm still not sure on what the cycle is for the park - sometimes it seems like things are reset daily but then you have camping out for longer adventures and things like Hector being broken out in 3 days time. Not a huge deal to me anyway.

Anyway, everything Ed Harris touches in this show turns to smurfing gold.

Blog Entries

i believe every character has its own cycle. some have 1 day, others 3 days etc depending on theire storyline.

but the park is all about a realistic experience in the west... it wouldnt be realistic if you see the cleanup crew every night.

Ed Harris is epic. i thought he was going to be the one to hate but i really love him now