Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Why did he keep remaking the old man? Who would want to help that guy live forever? Also if you were going to make yourself into a robot, why not make yourself look younger?

This episode was interesting, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me.
    The appearance thing I thought too! I'd so much rather go back to when I was young and hot than have to live as I am now, or as an older version of me from the future, FOREVER.

He kept remaking him because 1. he was paid and 2. it was interesting and groundbreaking work, I assume. Wouldn't you keep trying just because you could, if you were that close?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I think the rationalization for the appearance thing is that they didn't want the robot version to know it was a robot until they revealed that fact to him (though the TV reason being that they didn't want the audience to know at first either). William mentioned that there were issues with the mind or body rejecting itself (they weren't sure exactly why), and maybe being in a body exactly how you remembered your body being was supposed to help that. And once they mastered that sort of consciousness-transfer, I assume they could create other, younger or entirely different bodies ad infinitum.

As far as William's motivation, it was basically the old man's reason to leave the company to him. And even beyond that, I'm sure William considered it an interesting experiment with far-reaching consequences if they succeeded.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I also got the impression that there was a fondness for Delos from William. At least until he became Ed Harris.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think Raistlin has the best justification, and there's perhaps also the fact that should things work out and he become a "real person" and be released to own the park as an immortal ghost-in-the-shell, then the public - notably grandchildren etc - would probably be more likely to accept him if he looked the way he did when they last saw him. As for Delos opting for this in his own mind, I can understand it... so long as I were fit and healthy and capable of quick movement (which a robot body would provide and he was demonstrating with the exercise bike), I don't think I'd care if I had my greys etc. I have grey hairs now and I embrace them as part of who I am. Delos strikes me as that kind of guy - someone who has no interest in being a young kid, but rather has pride in who he is and how he got there.

As for nobody to root for, I'm rooting for the following: Teddy, Laurence, William. Somewhat Maeve but we'll see. I still have an interest in Elsie and Stubbs, and hope to see more of them and for them to do well, and as for a "bad guy" type, I'm still interested in how things roll with Hale.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm rooting for the Asian character they hopefully pick up in Samurai world rather than just killing them all as extras.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Getting a bit bored now tbh

Articles

I'm noticing a lot of people peeling away from Westworld this season, yeah. It used to be the hot office topic when season 1 was out, but people have stopped watching or slowly getting bored. That's what a loss of Anthony Hopkins will do for a show!

I liked Shogunworld though tbh and Sizemore was as always a delight.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't think it's so much about Anthony Hopkins popping out, it's more what people have said earlier - the lack of people to root for. I was rarely rooting for Ford. But many of us enjoyed rooting for young William, waiting to find out who the man in black was, seeing the behind-the-scenes factory areas being utilised, the romance offered by Dolores, the whodunnit-ness of things... this season has been lacking in most of these areas. Maeve is awake now but the fascination of her becoming self-aware is gone and we won't get that back too soon. Instead we have her chasing off after her daughter, but it seems to have too many distractions with little progress so we end up having "bit part" episodes like the one just now featuring Sakura. Dolores going badass also leaves too little of interest for many as we no longer have the wonder, just the war. I think the enjoyment in the first season was mostly surrounding the birthing of the situation, but now that we have reached that point we're not sure if they can give us anything that will match it. I almost wish that the final season ended in a reboot of the systems and then we start over.

I'm still really enjoying the William + Laurence episodes and have hope Maeve will get somewhere soon. I have a lot of interest in what will come next but I'm not sure I'll have as much interest at the end of the season. This will likely not be a Game of Thrones, but it could still hold me as long as Lost (watched the whole thing). Let's just hope it won't be another Heroes (gave up on second season).

I feel like I'll enjoy things a lot more if we can get a bit more innocence back into the show. We had good guys before, just trying to make their way through. It seems everyone is a badass these days and it can be tiring.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not sure they quite know which direction to take the show. Sophie said last night and I agree, that it feels like they've just thrown a load of different ideas at the show and are hoping it works. It just seems very messy at the minute with the multiple story arcs. There isn't a strong central story keeping everything together like season 1. I think the introduction of 'Eastworld' could have worked but I ended up not caring about it. The Eastern version of Paint it Black was great though.

I'll stick with it, I'm still intrigued enough to find out what happens. The same can't be said for The Walking Dead. I'm literally an entire season behind and I don't care

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm okay with this season going slower, because I know everything's going to fit together like a puzzle rather than a linear narrative. Even less so than last year's season.

I'm still enjoying the trout out of myself, but smurf Dolores/Wyatt. Both despicable and boring.

I think what people are truly unhappy about is there's less mystery to be solved this season. Oh, I'm sure there's so much we don't know that they'll reveal, but the story is much more straightforward. Even Bernard's stuff, with its timeskips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Loved the Paint it Black remix. Other than that, I was also disappointed with Shogun World being too much of a Westworld copy. I hope Akane sticks with the group and develops her own personality independent of being Maeve rerun. Some of those seeds were planted.

Maeve was awesome in this episode and has somewhat become the hero of this story. It's just too bad that her storyline is weak.

I'm starting to care less and less about Delores/Wyatt. Not cool what she did to Teddy. Preaching free will then not allowing him to have it himself? Bad move, Delores.

Articles

On the subject of Shogunworld being a CTRL+C CTRL+V Westworld, I think Sizemore said that SW was a more extreme version of WW and I got the impression it was for people who were a little bored of WW. But surely as a product that's going to be the death of it. Oh look, it's the same trout you already got bored of but with a samurai flair. I get from a narrative perspective the point was to show the hosts their lives and stories really are meaningless, but the dork in me couldn't help but think it was a shoddy business practice.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also, weren't there towns in Westworld that were already more hardcore than Sweetwater? Also also, you can make it so that host bullets can't kill guests but how do you make it so that some host swinging a sword at you doesn't cut your head off?

Articles

I've always wondered that when people used knives in WW too and the Ghost Nation and their melee weapons are another good example. Also, how do you have untrained guests able to slice through the flesh, blood and machine hosts using katanas and stuff? I mean, having them win a gun battle is one thing, but an actual honest to god sword duel? They'd be more likely to slice their own thumbs off. Though I guess you have to sign a troutload of waivers before being able to enter these parks.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm not enjoying this season as much as I thought I would be. But I have still liked every episode so far, so I guess that's kind of a lame complaint.