Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I really think that maybe, stubbs is a host now. I think they were taking DNA from people and yeah I think Stubbs is a Host! In the last time feature thing it showed him getting taken by those native hosts. Then that was who was dead but he didn't seem to mention that at all. Where has he been!? He's a host, I'm calling it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think what makes me more inclined to still side with the hosts is that the things that have happened to them are utterly barbaric. Remember, they have total recall of everything. They never lose any detail to what they experience, to the point that those who are self-aware (Dolores, Maeve, now Bernard as he becomes independent) struggle to remember when they are.

So that poor girl who has been raped and murdered for 30 years, you know what? She gets a pass, and I get why she's angry. And why it's too late to say sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    You are like a month shy of summer, don't even.
    Are there words there?

It doesn't look like anything to me.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pass a moral judgment on the hosts. They are the products of their environment and they don't know any differently than death and murder But I didn't cheer when they got killed and I'm not cheering when they kill either. I guess it's just sad that once they got their sentience all they want is revenge.

On one hand the Board is an easy enemy to not feel empathy for, those rich corporate assholes! But how much do any of them really know about the hosts? They strike me as just thinking they're fancy cowboy robots who have high level tech in them. I bet very few of them ever go into the park or have any idea what goes on there. How far do you take their culpability for the hell that Ford built?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If you're looking for any "bad guy" in all of this, it's whoever designed them to keep their memories in any shape or form whatsoever. So, in that regard, it's the designers who are at fault for what is going on. Arnold and Ford. If they discovered that hosts were retaining memories or even designed them to, then they should have pulled the plug at that point (by which I mean, on them being treated as robots). If they were stopped from doing so, then the people who stopped them are also at fault. In this case, I wonder how much the board knew about that.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    If you're looking for any "bad guy" in all of this, it's whoever designed them to keep their memories in any shape or form whatsoever. So, in that regard, it's the designers who are at fault for what is going on. Arnold and Ford. If they discovered that hosts were retaining memories or even designed them to, then they should have pulled the plug at that point (by which I mean, on them being treated as robots). If they were stopped from doing so, then the people who stopped them are also at fault. In this case, I wonder how much the board knew about that.

...that's literally what Arnold tried to do. He both tried to convince Ford to shut down the park, and then uploaded the Wyatt narrative to Dolores so she'd massacre all of the hosts AND Arnold--and actual human--to show they were dangerous. Arnold never intended or thought they'd be brought back and the park would still open; he was convinced his death would be enough to ruin them. And it did. Which was why Logan and William came to the park and Delos invested.

Or did you not watch season 1? xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think there's still a bit more to the entire Arnold thing than we've seen, but also feel that Arnold could absolutely (and very easily) have gone about things a different way than he did and he is responsible for the consequences of his dramatic actions over more sensible ones, such as public statements etc.

Blame is definitely primarily with Ford though, and anyone else who may have known.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He was very clear that the reason he chose to do it that way was because the world wouldn't have been able to see their humanity. Maybe he didn't give them the benefit, but like I said earlier--do we believe that video game characters are alive? Or that creepy ass Sophia robot? No, of course we don't. And if someone came to you and said that they had proof they were (regardless of whether or not it's true, and let's for the sake of discussion say in this scenario it is, and they do have proof), you would most likely think they were stark raving mad. I know I would.

It looks like we're getting more Dolores and Arnold flashbacks this season, and possibly we will even get scenes of Arnold alone. But based on everything I've seen, I'm willing to consider Arnold as benevolent. Especially considering why he threw himself into the project--at worst, it was to find a way to bring his son back to life. Flawed, sure, but not evil in any way. He showed he truly came to care for Dolores, knowing she was showing the capability to be alive. She wasn't there yet, but he knew she could, and eventually would be. And same for all of the hosts.

But Ford? Smurf Ford. Even his reasoning for why he did what he did is flawed. They hosts didn't need to experience pain and torment to gain sentience, as is shown that Dolores started achieving it not long after being made.*

*I still love him because Anthony Hopkins, but the smurfer was evil.

Articles

On that note, what was Ford's deal? The first season gave the impression that Arnold had planted a seed of rebellion in the hosts and Ford was trying to suppress it, only for the finale and the season opener with Little Robert to make it quite clear that no, Ford wanted this too. He wanted sentience and he wanted a massacre. Is it just as simple as his final monologue of wanting to be remembered as Beethoven or Mozart with this his finest work? A sort of "Look, I created sentience, aren't I a literal god?" message?

Either way, Little Robert and whatever terraforming he was doing (whether it was this new sea or whether someone else did that, he was clearly making a canyon at the very least for his new narrative) show he had some greater plan for the current turmoil.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some of the characters in Westworld are humans whilst others are actually robots.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

So these dumbasses have been talking in front of delores about all the things. Ha they deserve this.

Maeve being done with Delores trout though was great

Articles

I'm just glad the William/Lawrence bromance/servitude thing is back on. Can't wait 'til Lawrence becomes sentient!

Also, Gus Fring. Huh. Still as creepy as ever.

Also also, Sizemore is the comedic heart and soul of this show. He didn't even have a line this week and he still got a laugh out of me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also laughed at Sizemore. Rob asked why and I rewound it to show him. He was on screen for 2 seconds and I belly laughed at him.

And YAS I was so excited about William and Lawrence meeting up. Lawrence is my favorite secondary character. I'm scared he'll be killed off if he stays with William, though.

So I mentioned it on Reddit and it sparked a discussion sort of: Charlie didn't die before Westworld opened. That changes EVERYTHING about Arnold's motives for creating Westworld, and not only do I want to know Delos' true intentions, but Arnold and Ford's original intention for opening the park. My guess is that Charlie was still sick at the time, and the theories of transferring consciousness into host bodies was the goal. Especially when Daddy Delos tells William that it "won't be done in time for [him]".

EDIT: When I say "opened", I mean that Westworld was already being created before Charlie died. Not the official park opening that came after Wyatt's massacre.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Wait, when was Sizemore on? What happened? I hate it when I miss stuff. xD

Articles