Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Moomba Westworld

Is anyone else watching this show? It's both enthralling and deeply unsettling at the same time. Ed smurfing Harris, son. Paint it Black and No Surprises too. Hot damn.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

This has definitely been worth watching so far - feels like a novel enough concept (yes I know it's based on a movie and I haven't seen it so it's novel to me). I'm so far much more interested in the awakening of Dolores et al than the scavenger hunt Ed Harris is doing. I reckon in episode 2that was a "real" gun she found, ie. one with the potential to harm humans. Next person who tries to rape her is gonna get deaded!

Articles

Ooooooh! (SPOILER)And she whacked that fly on her so we know she has the capacity to do it now! Also do you think that little boy with Doctor Anthony Hopkins is a cyborg younger version of himself?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

JJ Abrams and Jonathan Nolan?

Well. Might just have to add this to the list of things to watch.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    JJ Abrams and Jonathan Nolan?

Well. Might just have to add this to the list of things to watch.
    Do it! It's only just started so get in on the ground floor!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Will do! Drag Race goes into off season tomorrow (WAH) so I'll start it then!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fantastic show so far. And I would bet money on the thing in your spoiler about Hopkins being true Psy.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm really excited to see what Dolores ends up doing with the device she found.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I am enjoying it for what it is. I'm going to treat it like I treat most series I watch and not really spend time predicting what will happen, because it's just damn good couch TV for me.

And yeah, the Paint it Black music was excellent. Loved it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Loved the Paint it Black scene.

I'm sure HBO wants this to be the heir apparent to GoT. So far so good. Some of the things the guests do with the robots is incredibly disturbing though.

I liked the bait and switch they did with the male lead in episodes 1 and 2.

My guess for the overall storyline: (SPOILER)the company running Westworld is using as a testing ground for developing more and more humanlike robots which they will then unleash on the rest of the world and use them to acquire political office and other powerful positions.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

that's what i think they're up to too, del. that, or (SPOILER)political assassinations, undercover operations in foreign countries. these machines would never defect, and if they were captured, no amount of torture or coercion would make them give up any secrets. of course, unless they were hacked, but naturally, like every company making technology, they think their own products won't be hacked because they've hack-proofed their products sufficiently . Of course, they could just be programmed to self-destruct if captured. I'm sure certain governments would pay good money for a perfect agent

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello! Shai here, reporting for duty *salutes*

this show had me hooked imediatly!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    that's what i think they're up to too, del. that, or (SPOILER)political assassinations, undercover operations in foreign countries. these machines would never defect, and if they were captured, no amount of torture or coercion would make them give up any secrets. of course, unless they were hacked, but naturally, like every company making technology, they think their own products won't be hacked because they've hack-proofed their products sufficiently . Of course, they could just be programmed to self-destruct if captured. I'm sure certain governments would pay good money for a perfect agent
    (SPOILER)Never mind governments. If you owned a company that can make these things why not just use them yourself? Any government or agency you want will be in your pocket soon enough. Plus, if any were found out everyone would immediately know who made them. Best to have more in place to be able to cover it up or make it look like the situation is being dealt with when it's not really.

I can't help but think of the Secret Invasion Marvel series when I ponder this actually.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I like all the actors in the show (they're amazing), but what the show is putting forward is so impractical (and sometimes pretentious) that I'm annoyed watching it. I can't adequately articulate how I feel about it, but how the story is presented makes it impossible for me to suspend disbelief and accept its reality -- maybe because of what it chooses to focus on. I dunno. Examples below.

(SPOILER)
    • Why is Westworld a physical location instead of a digital one?
    • The invincibility of humans who visit Westworld -- this is the big one once I realized that Westworld is supposed to be real and not a virtual reality. Maybe I misunderstood, but how could this possibly work? Episode 2 seemed to insinuate that there are special guns that can cause damage (the ones given to humans before they enter Westworld). What happens if a robot takes one of those? What about knives, heavy furniture, and fisticuffs? Ed Harris' character encounters violence from the bots (like James Marsden's character in episode 1 and the lawmen in episode 2) but they use only guns. Are the bots programmed to use only guns assigned to them no matter what? Because it seemed like Dolores found one of the human's guns and will be able to kill humans now, but I don't know if that's a flaw in her programming or what. Also, what happens if a human shoots another human? Are the guns supposed to be smart enough to not fire at a human? I feel like this is a slippery concept, and they'll have trouble writing around this. This is already killing the plot for me.
    • How are there enough rich people who want to rape and murder (including entire families who visit this place and experience horrifying violence, like the shootout in town) to sustain this business?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

(SPOILER)It's possible that virtual reality that looks and feels as real as this hasn't been made yet.

I'm thinking not *all* visitors are there to rape and murder. Kill, sure, but not just gun down indiscriminately. As explained, the world gets more and more violent the further from town you go, so perhaps families just stay close to town if they don't want things to get completely crazy. Of course, there was that shootout with the bandits in town, but that was an extraordinary event that was staged just to cover up the fact that something like a hundred hosts were missing from the world.

The hosts are programmed not to harm humans by any means, even if they got a hold of something like a knife. Of course, accidents happen, and this is actually described in the terms of use that players have to agree to when they enter. There have been deaths there in the past. I think it's using some sort of "smart" bullet that would disintegrate if it hits humans. Of course, they need some time to detect and react to that, which is why that host couldn't fire at the man in black at point blank range. His programming determined that this would probably hurt the human significantly. I also think the gun Dolores found might be something else than just a player's gun. I was thinking it was perhaps planted there, and is in fact a real gun with normal ammo.
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-16-2016 at 10:35 AM.