View Poll Results: Vote for each set up only one summon please.

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mist Dragon

9 75.00%
  • Kirin

2 16.67%
  • Ramuh

7 58.33%
  • Zodiark

5 41.67%
  • Bismarck

6 50.00%
  • Ragnarok

5 41.67%
  • Phantom

1 8.33%
  • Gilgamesh

10 83.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: EoFF Summon Tournament: Warrior of Light Bracket

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo EoFF Summon Tournament: Warrior of Light Bracket

Welcome to the first bracket for the tournament. Please vote for your four favorite summons in the poll based on who they are challenging.

Our battles today are:

FF4PSP_Mist_Dragon_Battle.png
    The Mist Dragon
    The symbol of Rydia's mother, the first boss of FFIV, and the summon who totally kicked Golbez's ass in the Dwarf Kingdom's Crystal room. It uses the powerful Mist Breath and has the ability to dodge physical damage by transforming into Mists itself. The summon was a powerful foe and ally to Cecil and his friends as they fought to stop Golbez's schemes.

VS.

Kirin_-_FF6_iOS.png
    Kirin
    Debuting in FFVI as one of the escapees from the Magitek Research facility along with Ramuh, Kirin could not survive the ordeal and his friend carries him as a memento until the day he bestows it upon the Returners to help Terra and the other imprisoned Espers. Kirin taugh the party healing magic like Regen and Cura and when summoned into battle, it bequeathed Regen on the whole party. Kirin would return in the FFTactics Advance titles as a summon for the Viera that also cast regen on its target.

Our second battle is:

5-ramuh-a.jpg
    Ramuh
    The first and original Lightning Summon. Ramuh has been a staple of the series since Final Fantasy III when the summon class was introduced. His most notable appearances over the course of the series are in VI, where he hides in the city of Zozo and takes care of the comatose Terra as he explains the horrors of what the Empire is doing to his kind. He also confronted Princess Garnet, a summoner by birthright and told her the story of Josef and the rebels to test her and see if she was truly worthy of his might. He most recently returned in full glory as the summon for Noctis in the original FFVX demo brandishing his signature Judgement Bolt attack.

VS.

Zodiark-ffxii-battle.png
    Zodiark
    Debuting as the ultimate summon in Final Fantasy Tactics, Zodiark made his proper entrance into the numbered series in Final Fantasy XII as he hid in the Henne Mines. Originally conceived by the gods of Ivalice with the power to bend reality to it's will, the gods feared him enough to chain it for all eternity and keep it in a childlike form, and even this is not enough to stop it. Eventually it was banished to the physical world where it waits. Though largely showing up in the Ivalice titles, FFXIV has made a few sly references to this Les Enfants Terribles.

Battle three for the day:

ff606.PNG
    Bismarck
    A whale often associated with water and the sky. Bismarck debuted in FFVI as the stand in for Leviathan as a water based summon. He taught Fire, Blizzard, and Lightning at very quick levels along with Raise. He reappeared as an enemy in XI, and made a minor cameo in XIII as a fal'Cie of Pulse. He has recently gained some more notoriety in XIV as a Primal worshiped by the Vanu Vanu, where he's become a sky whale.

VS.

FFVI_Ragnarok_Esper.png
    Ragnarok
    In the cold dead city of Narshe, Locke can meet one of the few survivors of the city in the Ruined World. He possesses a damaged piece of Magicite which he can either give to the party or forge into a powerful sword. As a summon, Ragnarok has the power to morph enemies into items the party used to battle Kefka, as a sword it raised the characters stats and occasionally cast Flare after striking an opponent. Ragnarok was also one of only two ways to teach Ultima to party members.

Our final battle for this bracket...

Phantom_-_Summon.png
    Phantom
    An often important if overlooked Esper from Final Fantasy VI. Phantom taught the party spells like Gravity, Berserk, and most importantly Vanish. The last being the first half of the infamous Vanish/Doom trick. Phantom had the power to make the entire party invisible making them immune to physical attacks but vulnerable to magic. A risky strategy indeed but one that could have great benefits.

VS.

Gilgamesh-ffviii.png
    GILGAMESH!!!
    After swooping into to "hold onto" Zantetsuken for Odin who had just received the beating of a lifetime. This swarthy traveler of the Interdimensional Rift would occasional help (or not) Squall and company in battle by showing off the other cool swords he is... "holding" for their original owners. Debuting in FFV as ExDeaths quirky bumbling minion, Gilgamesh has been making appearances across the franchise through remakes and spin-offs. VIII debuts his entrance as a summon but he's also been a summon in FFVI, Revenant Wings, and Dissidia. His signature weapon is the poor knockoff legendary sword Excalipoor, which boasts having maxed attack power, but can only do one damage.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Mist Dragon, Zodiark, Bismarck, and Greg. Ramuh vs Zodiark was the hardest. That glorious beard.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    Ramuh vs Zodiark was the hardest. That glorious beard.
    I love how in the picture it almost looks like it's flexing its muscle.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Mist dragon.
    Zodiark
    ragnarok
    and ofcourse gilgamesh. Poor phantom.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I know, right? Nobody cares about ghosts when girugamesh is about.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Gilgamesh to sweep entire tournament

Mist Dragon, Ramuh, Ragnarok and Gilgamesh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wow poor Phantom. Up against THE Gilgamesh in the first round.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mist dragon to spam Mist and not take single hit throughout the whole tournament.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, the way some of the brackets came into place, it was pretty easy to figure out who is probably going to dominate each grouping, there is like two that will be interesting cause one set has a bunch of nobodies and the other I think had like three popular ones all crammed together. Poor Phantom, I was originally not even going to bother giving Gilgamesh a description because I knew he wouldn't need it.

This wasn't easy.

Mist Dragon because I only have a few memories of Kirin from FFTA. And it wasn't that good. While I remember the beginning of FFIV rather fondly.

Ramuh over Zodiark. Mostly because I remember him very fondly from FFVII. I never reached Zodiark, but the animation for his special attack was one of the weakest ultimate summon moves in the franchise, in my opinion. Plus, while I like the thematic idea of having the extra 13th summon... Yeah, getting tacked on when he wasn't in FFT or FFTA pushed Ramuh ahead. Though, ideally, Quetzacoatl would win for Lightning summon, just for that awesome animation. Should have maybe sabotaged Ramuh just to give Quetzacoatl a better chance. But oh well, already voted.

Bismark over Ragnarok. This one was really tough, mostly because I didn't care about either and they both had negative points. Mainly, Bismark was a replacement for Leviathan that didn't look as cool, and Ragnarok is literally just a sword. Not a fan of either, never got either in game. Voted for the one who had the fewest votes.

Phantom. I don't know what the heck you guys are all smoking, because however little you may think of Phantom, Gilgamesh is one of the worst summons in the series. His appearance in FFVIII involves removing one of the most useful and frequent GF summons in the game, and he then shows up maybe once or twice if you 100% everything and you're lucky. In Dissidia, he's a terrible Assist because he's unreliable. And Revenant Wings is basically broken to the point that you'd even be lucky to get to him. He may be a fantastic character in the series, but he is a seriously godawful summon. And he took Odin from us.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Not gonna lie. I probably was unfair with gilgamesh. Judging mostly of his character.

but. I forgot phantom even existed. And I just finished vi no long ago.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There is less than a day left for the poll. Expect the next bracket up in a bit for it's round 1 battle.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hey, Wolf Kanno--fun fact: Kirin actually shows up in FFXIV as a mount if you get all of the primal ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Re: usefulness of summons. I don't ever actually use them in game so I'm only gonna go by character and appearance and if I can fight them how interesting or memorable that fight was. x3