View Poll Results: Choose the winners of the Onion Knight 1st round.

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leviathan

11 84.62%
  • Quetzalli

0 0%
  • Alexander

9 69.23%
  • Quezacotl

3 23.08%
  • Valefor

7 53.85%
  • Catoblepas

4 30.77%
  • Cactuar

9 69.23%
  • Zalera The Death Sereph

3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: EoFF Summoner Tourney: Onion Knight Bracket Round 1

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default EoFF Summoner Tourney: Onion Knight Bracket Round 1

We're now entering the third Bracket, Onion Knight! Our competitors today are...

8-leviathan-a.jpg
    Leviathan
    Debuting as a dungeon of all things way back in Final Fantasy II, he finally became a boss and Summon in the follow up FFIII. Ever since, Leviathan has been a go to summon and one of Square's favorite subjects to show off the 3D graphics engine since this baby has been the first one designed for both FFVII and VIII's original demos and more recently in the rebranding trailer for FFXV. Leviathan's most noteworthy appearances have been as King of the Summoned Beast in FFIV who attacked Cecil's boat to get to Rydia, as a sealed beast from FFV who laid waste to one of ExDeath's fiends before challenging Bartz and company to a battle, and as the sealed Eidolon Garnet acquires to try and protect her mother from Kuja.

VS.

QuetzalliFF6.PNG
    Quetzalli
    A summon obtained on the Solitary Island in a ruined world, Quetzalli (Palidor in the original Woosely script) taught the party useful time magic like Haste, Slow, and their upgraded Hastega and Slowga. In battle, this summon would swoop down and carry the party high in the sky, protecting them from enemy attacks before letting the party swoop down dragoon style to lay the hurt on their foes.

Our next competitors are...

8-alexander-a.jpg
    Alexander
    Debuting in FFVI, and based off an early Amano design for the Bab-il Tower, Alexander quickly rose up in popularity and has appeared in most FFs since it's debut. Whether it's firing a Macross Missile swarm of Holy energy, or laying everything to waste with it's Holy Judgment attack, Alexander is the premier Holy based summon in the series. He was recently the star of an event in FFXIV, where he served as a dungeon and Primal for the Goblin races, waged a war long ago in XI's Van'diel, and most famously, battled Bahamut to a standstill while protecting the city of Alexandra in IX.

VS.

8-quezacotl-a.jpg
    Quezacotl
    Debuting in FFVIII as the stand in for Ramuh, Quezacotl was one of the first summons most players got to see in VIII, belonging to Squall and used to help him pass his SeeD qualification test by felling Ifirit. He has only made minor appearances since then in trading card games, Record Keeper, Mobius Final Fantasy, and Revenant Wings. His Thunderstorm attack was pretty awesome to see as well.

Our next competitors are...

Valefor-FFX.png
    Valefor
    Debuting in FFX as Yuna's signature Aeon, Valefor works as a sort of mini-Bahamut for the game utilizing a strong non-elemental breath attack called Energy Ray or even it's souped up version you can acquire called Energy Blast. Valefor reappeared in FFX-2 as a boss for the Gullwings to deal with, briefly appeared in the Nautilus play about the War of Transgressions in FFXIII, and has made appearances in Dissidia Duodecim, Record Keeper and a brief mention in FXIV.

VS.

01_ff5.jpg
    Catoblepas
    Debuting as a regular enemy as far back as FFIII, Catoblepas made the jump to being a summon in FFV, where he can be found in Galuf's homewarld, wandering the forests and turning people to stone with it's Demon Eye. He appeared again in FFVI as an esper that taught Bio, Break, and Death making him invaluable as being the second half of the Vanish/Doom trick. He has not appeared much since then, returning to his roots as a regualr monster in the series, including the upcoming FFXV, where he appears as an almost Admantoise size enemy on the field.

Our final battle for this bracket is...

final-fantasy-xiii-20091204092415361_640w.jpg
    Cactuar
    Debuting in FFVI as a desert dwelling enemy, the little mascot worthy enemy jumped up into the summoners league in VIII, where Squall has to defeat a Jumbo Cactuar to earn this critter. Cactuar has appeared as a summon in retro for FFVI and as a special move Zack Fair can use in Crisis Core. Pelting enemies with it's powerful 10,000 Needles, the critter has been a fun addition to the series.

VS.

ZaleraUOmega.jpg
    Zalera
    Debuting in FFTactics as the Lucavi of Elmdore, Zalera made his summoning debut in FFXII where he tests people in the depths of the Baraheim Passage to defeat him and his army of the undead within five minutes. His signature move is Condmenation which uses the scream of the captive shaman he holds to instantly kills weak enemies and do non-elemental damage to stronger one. He makes other appearances in the Ivalice series as a scion in FFTactics A2 and as a tier three summon in Revenant Wings who teaches Basch his Apocalypse Shield ability.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Leviathan
    quezacotl
    valefor
    zalera

really the only deal with the last one is that cactuars annoy me. And are too choppy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm sorry, but if you can't even spell your own damn name right, Quetzalcoatl, I don't intend to support you in the slightest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Alexander vs Quezacotl
    Whyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you can't even spell your own damn name right, Quetzalcoatl, I don't intend to support you in the slightest.
    To be fair, I think that has more to do with a character limit restriction issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Alexander vs Quezacotl
    Whyyyyy
    Yeah, the way things are going, the next round of this bracket will be a mean one.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

This was somewhat hard. Not Leviathan and Alexander, but the other two. I went with Catoblepas because I like status effects and Cactuar because of the Attack on Cactuar picture. That and I seem to remember absolutely hating the Zalera fight. If I'm thinking of the right fight, the one I'm thinking of was optional and in the mines and he'd cast doom right off the bat.

Leviathan, Alexander, Valefor and Cactuar.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    To be fair, I think that has more to do with a character limit restriction issue.
    I know. That still doesn't make it acceptable

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Less than 24 hours to vote.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Leviathan, Alexander, Catoblepas and Cactuar