Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Biggest Tear Jerkers?

What it says on the tin. I don't think I need to explain this, but here's how TV Tropes puts it.

For whatever reason, some games manage to cross that border that many people used to think was impossible to pass, and one of the reasons why video games can't be art. It's usually an intense cathartic feeling, not necessarily sadness (though this is often the case), that just makes us cry, be it at the end of a game or in certain moments.

Not really talking about tears of frustration, though

So what games have you cried at? Which tugged at your heartstrings the most? Let's share all those embarassingly beautiful moments that video games made us go through!

Provide titles without any spoiler tags, but if you want to go into detail, please tag them. Most of these moments are really what make or break the game to some, and in the vast majority of cases they need to be experienced blind for maximum effect. So let's not be dicks.

For me, there's a couple. It's surprising how even though FF is my main fandom, I've never really cried because of one of these games. However, a series closely related to it has made me cry (or at least get a little misty) is Kingdom Hearts. Mainly 358/2 Days and Birth by Sleep. 358/2 Days SpoilersI don't think I even need to go into detail about how incredibly devastating the ending was, especially thanks to how effectively the friendship between Roxas, Axel and Xion was. And then this makes the prologue of KHII even more heartrending in hindsight.BbS Spoilers The same pretty much goes for this game. Damn, Aqua, you've gone through so much

Then we have Undertale. A game that made me feel something intensely even though I was long past the point where I thought no media could make me feel anything substantial at all. Undertale SpoilersThat hug. THAT HUG. Just. Reduced me to a crying wreck, let me tell you.

Silent Hill 2 is another intensely emotional game, which you might think is an odd thing for a horror game to do, but this really works amazingly well, and I wish more horror games and horror stories in general. Silent Hill 2 SpoilersBeing in a loving relationship especially makes you appreciate the deeply personal story of this game. Mary's full letter at the end was particularly effective, thanks in no small part to the fantastic delivery by the actress.

I think there's more where that came from, but the last I can mention off the top of my head is Persona 3. Persona 3 SpoilersThe way the whole game build up this theme of death, valuing life and making peace with the fact you won't be here forever is built up so well throughout the whole game, both through the main story and all the social links that I really can't put into words how deeply moving this game was. It truly changed the way I view life in many ways.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

The only game that has made me cry is pokemon mystery dungeon explorers.

probably just nostalgia. But I guess it counts.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

In .Hack//G.U. (SPOILER) when Alkaid got put in a coma about halfway though Disk 2. It was the middle of the day and I didn't have work or school or anything, but I just stopped playing there. And then at the end of Disk 3 when she came back, it was the other kind of tear jerker.

The Conquest Ending of Neptunia 2. (SPOILER)Hey you know this lighthearted game about personified consoles fighting piracy and DDoS attacks? Here's an ending where you kill them all with no jokes. It starts with you killing your two best friends. Then you kill the Lowee Trio two of which are actual little girls. And there's Vert who wouldn't give up and got ambushed and beat half to death by someone who was played for laughs earlier. And finally it ends with you killing your own sister. And to add salt to the wound, the final boss doesn't put up a fight. After seeing the sword and knowing what it took to get it, it claims that it has already won after the "fight." "Do you feel like a hero yet?"

And on that note, Spec Ops: The Line. The whole damn game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Key visual novels are notorious for this. I think Little Busters! had me crying for the majority of Refrain. CLANNAD and Tomoyo After also have pretty tearjerking moments. And it hasn't gotten aaaany lighter on rereads.

Besides Key, there's G-senjou no Maou which hits you out of smurfing nowhere with some of the heaviest emotional jackhammers I've ever been hit by.

And then of course there's Umineko... which isn't really a tearjerker at all but I've gotten so damn attached to it that every scene where (SPOILER)lol I'm not gonna spoil Umineko are you crazy brings me to tears.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Last of Us is the most emotional gaming experience I've ever had. It combined the story telling and characterisation of a truly amazing movie, with the investment and immersion that can only come from gaming.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    The Last of Us is the most emotional gaming experience I've ever had. It combined the story telling and characterisation of a truly amazing movie, with the investment and immersion that can only come from gaming.
    Absolutely this.

Though, it didn't get me the first time round. Or even the second.

The intro to TLOU seems to intensify every watch/play. It is... beautiful, heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, stunning and horrifying. My third playthrough I blubbed more than I have for any film.

I also cried when (SPOILER)Aeris died

Agree with Pheesh. I didn't cry, but I've never felt like I did with The Last of Us. It's probably the most emotional gaming experience I've ever had. From start to finish.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

"Does this unit have a soul?"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

You know. There are so, so many games that I have loved and that have captured my imagination and heart, but I can only think of three that made me cry.

The first was the ending of Ocarina of Time. I was like 14 or 15 or however old I was when that game came out. I teared up.

The second was the ending of Pokemon X/Y. Wasn't even particularly emotional but I realized how much the series meant to me and, well, I teared up.

The third one I didn't tear up, I straight up cried. And it was Undertale. Go figure.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh my gosh, I cry at all of the things.

Most recently, Among the Sleep when you find out what's really going on... man did I cry. I guess I can relate because of personal experience and seeing a little two-year old go through that. There was much cry.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I thought the scene with Jecht & Tidus at the end of FFX was very emotional the first time I played it.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Agree with MGS3. What a sad situation.

Also, when Donkey Kong lost all of his bananas.

Blog Entries

Basically, if a director wants me to cry, I will cry.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I generally pride myself on a complete lack of tearing.

But when I finally beat Persona 3 a few weeks back and it got to graduation day there may have been a bit of salt water leakage.