View Poll Results: Vote for the winner in each matchup.

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crusader

3 27.27%
  • Asura

7 63.64%
  • Eden

6 54.55%
  • Midgardsormr

4 36.36%
  • Phoenix

10 90.91%
  • Pandemona

0 0%
  • Chocobo

5 45.45%
  • Ark

5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: EoFF Summon Tourney: Red Wings Bracket R1

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default EoFF Summon Tourney: Red Wings Bracket R1

The fourth bracket begins in the tourney, have your favorites appeared yet? Our competitors battling this round are:

ff6esper21.gif
    Crusader
    The final prize for felling all Eight Legendary Dragons, and the first "ultimate" summon in the series. This summon literally summons forth a frozen moment of time in from the War of the Magi as all hell breaks loose and destroys friend and foe alike. Crusader also taught the dangerous Meltdown spell which hit friend and foe alike but could be used as a cheap heal/damage spell if your party wore fire protecting. It's special attack, Cleansing was the most powerful attack the player could acquire in the original game, though it came at great cost.

VS.

Amano_Asura.jpg
    Asura
    Queen of the summoned beast and consort to Leviathan in FFIV, Asura would challenge Cecil and his party for the right to have an audience with the king of the summoned beast. Her serene face will use heal, her happy face will bestow life, and her angry face wishes to protect. Savvy players would turn her own magic against her by casting reflect on her, benefiting from her power. Though she has only appeared once in the series proper, she has made minor cameos in spin-off titles like Dissidia.

Our next round is...

Eden_FFVIII_Art.png
    Eden
    The ultimate summon from Final Fantasy VIII, acquired by braving the depths of the Deep Sea Research Station and battling the fearsome Ultima Weapon, Eden is... well I still don't really know what it is but, I do know it has some great Junction abilities and the rare Devour and Luck+50% ability. Eden also has the distinction of being the first summon to be able to break the 9999 damage cap with it's Eternal Breath ability and has one of the longest summon animations in the series.

VS.

Midgardsormr_FFVI_Nomura_Art.jpg
    Midgardsormr
    Starting it's life out as a powerful enemy faced in the World of Darkness in FFIII, this Nordic myth became a true summon in FFVI as the earth elemental stand in for Titan. Obtained from Umaro's after a fierce battle with the Yeti, Midgardsrmr taught the destructive Quake and Tornado spell along with Graviga. He returned as an enemy only summon in FFTactics used by Elidibus and has made countless appearances as an enemy in later FFs and even Seiken Densetsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon. His most famous appearance was in FFVII, where players needed to catch and ride a Chocobo through the marshes to avoid this Beta flinging monster.

Our next round is...

FFIX_Phoenix.png
    Phoenix
    Debuting in FFV, Phoenix has been a welcome sight for any player about to face a total party wipe out. Phoenix blazes the enemy with fire magic before reviving all dead party members and in later games will summon itself if the party is nearly wiped out. Phoenix's most famous appearances include helping stop Bahamut during the Calamity of FFXIV, the prize for saving the Condor's egg after a brutal fight at the Mako Factory, allowing Rachael to say her final farewell to Locke, and the Wind Drake transforming into the Phoenix to aid Lenna and her friends in FFV.

VS.

Pandemona_FFVIII_Art.png
    Pandemona
    A wind based Guardian Force obtained by drawing him from Fujin in the battle to retake Balamb, Pandemona continues Square's love of never sticking to one summon for Wind Elements. He teaches a lot of speed based support skills and Initiative which is useful against Malboros. The real question here: what exactly is it?

The final round is...

8-chicobo-a.jpg
    Chocobo
    A summon dating back to FFIII, the little fella was retired after FFVIII but FFXI was kind enough to have a fun shout out to its legacy as a summon for the summoner class. Chocobo usually dealt non-elemental damage with its powerful Chocobo Kick but sometimes had the ability to help the party escape battles (FFIII), summon a Fat Chocobo to squash the enemy (V and VII), and even summon a Meteor to crush them (FFVIII). The Chocobos most powerful form is when he let Mog ride him that one time...

VS.

Ark_FFIX_Art_1.jpg
    Ark
    It only too nine games to do it, but Final Fantasy finally got a summon that was an airship, a sweet one that transforms into a giant robot. One of the rare Dark element summons in the series, Ark was first fought as a boss in FFIX before the party acquired a Pumice/Floating Stone to summon him themselves. Ark has one of the longest animations in the series, topping around the two minute mark. He is theorized to be Terra's equivalent to Gaia's Alexander. He hasn't made any major appearances since IX but XIV has a shout out to him with a battle against a transforming mecha airship that shares Ark's production name Blassty!

Who will reign supreme?!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Ark has the best music in XIV.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went Crusader, Midgardsomrmr, Phoenix, and Ark.

I have a serious soft spot for Crusader, and Midgardsormr is actually my favorite earth elemental summon in the series. Phoenix is a no-brainer, especially since it's usually attached to some of the best story moments in the series. Ark is another one I have a soft spot for, though like Crusader, I have a feeling it's going to lose this round.

Asura, Eden, Phoenix and Ark.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Was never a big fan of those fancy ultimate summons from VIII onwards. Heck, Crusader in FFVI was pushing it, imo.

In general, this tournament makes me think that VIII had some of the worst summon designs in the series. Aside from Ifrit. That one is still my favorite.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Crusadar, Eden, Phoenix and Chocobo.

Laughing at y'all backing Ark.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Was never a big fan of those fancy ultimate summons from VIII onwards. Heck, Crusader in FFVI was pushing it, imo.

In general, this tournament makes me think that VIII had some of the worst summon designs in the series. Aside from Ifrit. That one is still my favorite.
    I feel Eden and Pandemona are the worst offenders but the rest are not actually so bad. Hell two of the more popular ones will be popping up soon.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Guys, I have a tie breaker going on here for the battle between Chocobo and Ark, if I can get someone to break it for me, I would appreciate it. There is less than six hours left for the poll.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And we have a tie, I'll count the next post to vote on the grounds you haven't already voted yet. Thanks ahead of time.