Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

So, I wrote up a list of things I would like to see the console do.

https://basedgamer.com/article/224/t...ntendo-switch-

tl;dr version:

Long batter life for portable
    More indie support
    A steam-like refund policy on digital games
    Compatible with all Wii U Virtual console titles
    More then the Wii U 32 GB storage.
    You are working with square, make another Legend of the Seven Stars dammit!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looks super neat to me! I often wish I could play my handhelds on the big screen.

But dude needs to pay more attention to his dog

Blog Entries

It looks neato!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I got verklempt watching this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    My wife's the first person I heard that was completely unimpressed by this XD
    It's a neat idea (actually neat, not the crap we got with the Wii and WiiU), but I'm not going to run out and buy one as soon as they're released. Games are what matters and until we see some, especially from third parties, I won't be sold on it.Not even a list of third parties does it for me since I'm sure most, if not all, of those companies made games for Wii and WiiU (and Gamecube for that matter) and those never drew me in.

I'm intrigued, but after more than a decade of being disappointed by Nintendo consoles and the games on them they've got a long way to go still before I'll buy one. But on the plus side, they've managed to get me more interested than anything they did since the N64 or their handhelds (smurf 3d though) so they're off to a good start just so I don't sound too unimpressed. If this was being released after a console with a surprisingly great library like the N64 and not after three consoles that were flops for me I'd be downright excited.
    Well, we have an NBA game and Skyrim. So... That's two third party titles right there. And two that don't usually come to Nintendo consoles.

Hopefully we'll here of more in the coming months.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've notice Konami's name shown as 3rd party support. I hope they know this isn't a pachinko machine.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    So, I wrote up a list of things I would like to see the console do.

https://basedgamer.com/article/224/t...ntendo-switch-

tl;dr version:

Long batter life for portable
    More indie support
    A steam-like refund policy on digital games
    Compatible with all Wii U Virtual console titles
    More then the Wii U 32 GB storage.
    You are working with square, make another Legend of the Seven Stars dammit!

I'm concerned about the battery life and I'm with you on a Seven Stars sequel.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I want to see this in their next video:

Angry Dad: Boy! Go get me a switch.
    *kid returns with Nintendo console*
    *shows them playing games together*

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It looks interesting, but like Vivi22 mentioned, it will come down to the games. Nintendo will be good for their own properties but the footage of what looks like Skyrim makes me fear it will suffer the curse of the last two Nintendo consoles and most of it's third party support will be lousy ports of already existing games. The concept is interesting to say the least.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    My wife's the first person I heard that was completely unimpressed by this XD
    It's a neat idea (actually neat, not the crap we got with the Wii and WiiU), but I'm not going to run out and buy one as soon as they're released. Games are what matters and until we see some, especially from third parties, I won't be sold on it.Not even a list of third parties does it for me since I'm sure most, if not all, of those companies made games for Wii and WiiU (and Gamecube for that matter) and those never drew me in.

I'm intrigued, but after more than a decade of being disappointed by Nintendo consoles and the games on them they've got a long way to go still before I'll buy one. But on the plus side, they've managed to get me more interested than anything they did since the N64 or their handhelds (smurf 3d though) so they're off to a good start just so I don't sound too unimpressed. If this was being released after a console with a surprisingly great library like the N64 and not after three consoles that were flops for me I'd be downright excited.
    Well, we have an NBA game and Skyrim. So... That's two third party titles right there. And two that don't usually come to Nintendo consoles.

Hopefully we'll here of more in the coming months.
    Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. They've got me curious enough to get me to keep my eye on things and see what games show up. That's more than I could say about the WiiU.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It looks interesting, but like Vivi22 mentioned, it will come down to the games. Nintendo will be good for their own properties but the footage of what looks like Skyrim makes me fear it will suffer the curse of the last two Nintendo consoles and most of it's third party support will be lousy ports of already existing games. The concept is interesting to say the least.
    Actually, it looked like Skyrim Special Edition, the HD port that is releasing in one week. So, while it is still an old game, it's been visually remastered, at least, and still looks quite spiffy on the Switch.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

GameXplain released an 11 minute video about the 6 sec Mario footage. trout got me hype. They can get a lot out of a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    GameXplain released an 11 minute video about the 6 sec Mario footage. trout got me hype. They can get a lot out of a little bit.

They actually missed something pretty huge.

Namely, that the girl's room is themed around the game in question. With the number of ornamental vases, brightly colored woven throws, and other art, you could infer quite a bit more about the game's inspiration than just "vaguely Mexican". Nintendo's been using little details and culture additions with a great deal of thought in their recent titles, as the incredible Alola region looks to be highlighting. I would expect that to continue.

If titles like Harvest Moon and Fire Emblem are going Switch, then count me in .

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It will be interesting to see if this is intended to replace the 3DS. It seems like they are going that way. I think I'm fine with that as long as it retains some of the features that made the DS/3DS such great systems. It doesn't have a dual screen, but I'm not very bothered by that since the second screen has been mainly used as an immediate pause menu or minimap which could easily be done on Switch games using intuitive touch controls.

Another feature it needs is the ability to suspend games in a sleep mode to preserve battery and prevent you from having to boot everything up each time you want to play. This is standard these days but I mention it because WiiU absurdly doesn't have this feature.

The other issue is the games. Obviously any system will be rated based on its games but in particular Switch needs to continue the legacy of great portable games that Nintendo has consistently held up over the years if it is going to replace its latest successful portable system. Series like Fire Emblem, Professor Layton, Pokemon, various Square-Enix ports and handheld titles, and the Zelda handheld series need to be able to continue to thrive on Switch as true next iterations of those series. For that to happen Switch needs to prove itself as the next generation of handheld gaming and not just the next generation of console/handheld hybrid gaming.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum