Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

If it turns out to be region free I will be all over this like a... person who is all over something.

In order to practice my Japanese I have a Japanese 3DS and a few Japanese 3DS games; all of which is a massive pain because of course the system/store accounts are entirely in Japanese and it takes forever to get anything done. If I can just buy the damn game to play on an English system... I will be super happy.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    But dude needs to pay more attention to his dog
    That is literally all I took away from this video. Play with your smurfing dog you dead beat dog-parent!!! Oh man, that got me so mad.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

This trailer got 11 million views in one day. THAT IS INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    It will be interesting to see if this is intended to replace the 3DS. It seems like they are going that way. I think I'm fine with that as long as it retains some of the features that made the DS/3DS such great systems. It doesn't have a dual screen, but I'm not very bothered by that since the second screen has been mainly used as an immediate pause menu or minimap which could easily be done on Switch games using intuitive touch controls.
    Unfortunately, there was no stylus or indication of touch controls in the Switch ad. It's hard to imagine they would abandon touch controls, especially with how well they've been worked into so many games, and how strongly titles like Mario Maker use touch controls. But we have no evidence of it as yet.

Another feature it needs is the ability to suspend games in a sleep mode to preserve battery and prevent you from having to boot everything up each time you want to play. This is standard these days but I mention it because WiiU absurdly doesn't have this feature.
    Well, I'm positive the handheld aspect of it will include that feature, at least. Saving the battery life is mostly a handheld feature, so maybe that's why they felt it wasn't necessary on the Wii U?

The other issue is the games. Obviously any system will be rated based on its games but in particular Switch needs to continue the legacy of great portable games that Nintendo has consistently held up over the years if it is going to replace its latest successful portable system. Series like Fire Emblem, Professor Layton, Pokemon, various Square-Enix ports and handheld titles, and the Zelda handheld series need to be able to continue to thrive on Switch as true next iterations of those series. For that to happen Switch needs to prove itself as the next generation of handheld gaming and not just the next generation of console/handheld hybrid gaming.
    This is true, and this is one of the big worries of the device.

With Nintendo merging development of console and handheld gaming, they have to make sure not to lose either.

Part of what I believe has made the Switch appealing to developers (every developer I've heard speak about it has been overwhelming popular) is the ease of development. Being both a handheld and a console, neither target game is out of bounds. Handheld titles are usually simpler and with fewer mechanics or less extensive graphics, which makes them easier to develop.

Nintendo can't lose sight of this either. If they start pushing everything in the console style, it is going to cost them, and cost them a LOT. They need to remember what makes each game popular, and not push past the strengths of that title or series. We've seen console Pokémon games before, and console Fire Emblem games. And they weren't as popular as their handheld iterations. Granted, Pokémon Coloseum did away with a lot of the traditions of the series (like random encounters), but it was still a darn fine game. And the Tellius Fire Emblem games were quite good, though not as good as most of their handheld iterations, in my opinion. I think they suffered from a style transition to 3D that the developers weren't really prepared to handle, and the battle field graphics looked odd and clunky a lot of the time because of this (while the sprites for that game were AMAZING).

This is something that Nintendo cannot afford to do. They can't afford to push games to use the new power of the system when those games aren't prepared for that power, or don't necessarily use it well. They have to understand that this is their ultimate platform for ALL of their games, and let it flourish as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If it turns out to be region free I will be all over this like a... person who is all over something.

In order to practice my Japanese I have a Japanese 3DS and a few Japanese 3DS games; all of which is a massive pain because of course the system/store accounts are entirely in Japanese and it takes forever to get anything done. If I can just buy the damn game to play on an English system... I will be super happy.
    Leaked tech details include a 50/60 Hertz AC adapter, which means that the plug would be compatable with both US and EU power systems. So, region free seems more likely.

Only a few days until the first big event revealing details, though.

As someone who despises Nintendo for being incompetent and stuck in the past, I have no hope for this. They are the most incompetent game developers. Also, they need to get their hands off of Monolith Soft. Xeno games need to come to the PS4 and PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Leaked tech details include a 50/60 Hertz AC adapter, which means that the plug would be compatable with both US and EU power systems. So, region free seems more likely.

Only a few days until the first big event revealing details, though.
    Leaks also suggest a price point of under Ł200, or abut USD$250. Which as far as I'm concerned is a license for Nintendo to print their own money, that's a fantastic price.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    As someone who despises Nintendo for being incompetent and stuck in the past, I have no hope for this. They are the most incompetent game developers. Also, they need to get their hands off of Monolith Soft. Xeno games need to come to the PS4 and PC.
    If yo really believe that you must not have tried game development yourself.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly. Nintendo has produced some of the most flawlessly designed games, whether you're into the games themselves or not. Super Mario Run alone is one of the most polished mobile games I've ever played.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Honestly. Nintendo has produced some of the most flawlessly designed games, whether you're into the games themselves or not. Super Mario Run alone is one of the most polished mobile games I've ever played.
    This is very true. It is hard to find many bugs in a Nintendo game. They take their time putting it out there. Nothing gets rushed.

Really? Nintendo is one of the few consistent and high-quality game developers in the industry right now. Every first party title they put out is excellent.

Nintendo the console developer, however, is nowhere near as good. I do agree that I wish the Xeno games would come to PS4; I have no interest in buying a Nintendo console for its third party games or RPGs. That's what my Playstation systems are for.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair, it shouldn't be that hard to maintain a consistent level of quality when, at least in the console space, they've spent the last 20 years or so making the same few games over and over.

Honestly the new Zelda and the switch as a piece of hardware are the first really interesting looking things to me that I've seen from them since the N64 was the console du jour.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Really? Nintendo is one of the few consistent and high-quality game developers in the industry right now. Every first party title they put out is excellent.

Nintendo the console developer, however, is nowhere near as good. I do agree that I wish the Xeno games would come to PS4; I have no interest in buying a Nintendo console for its third party games or RPGs. That's what my Playstation systems are for.
    Their consoles are what I was referring to but even the games lack substance. Barely evolved from the past. Only good games on the Wii U, in my eyes, are Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and heck even Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Mario has barely changed. All their other IPs are just... eh. Nintendo doesn't really offer me much. And the lack of features on the Wii U are unbearable. The console feels like 10 year old hardware. My friend owns a Wii U and honestly the best use he gets out of it is being a dust collector. He despises the bare-bones features and lack of games.

Nintendo can speak about all the third party developers helping them all and whatnot but it's all lies. They did the same thing with the Wii U. Show all the list of developers, third party games barely sell, and then the first party games take forever to develop.

I want Nintendo to succeed but as of now my eyes can't. It's too hard for me to see them succeeding in the industry. They refuse to change/modernize and that is why we have so many people who find the Wii U as one epic fail of a console.

I'll buy the Switch if it means having all those Japanese 3DS games and such. However, I'll be cautiously waiting to see what Nintendo can offer. I followed the Wii U's failing so close for someone who hates the console, and Nintendo's actions proved to me how shady they are.
    Last edited by Squall Leonhart Loire; 01-09-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Their consoles are what I was referring to but even the games lack substance. Barely evolved from the past. Only good games on the Wii U, in my eyes, are Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and heck even Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Mario has barely changed.
    Completely disagree. Zelda and the mainline Mario series are incredibly different with each installment. Both series have similar tropes and gameplay in every title, but each game is different enough from its predecessor to feel fresh and exciting. Even the leap from Galaxy to Galaxy 2 was incredible.

At least with those two series, Nintendo takes the approach of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The formula of these games are excellent and don't need to change whatsoever.

All their other IPs are just... eh. Nintendo doesn't really offer me much. And the lack of features on the Wii U are unbearable. The console feels like 10 year old hardware. My friend owns a Wii U and honestly the best use he gets out of it is being a dust collector. He despises the bare-bones features and lack of games.
    I disagree about their other IPs, but that's a matter of opinion. I do agree that the Wii U is a pretty bad console. I sincerely hope that Nintendo implements a better UI, an actual consistent Nintendo account system, and modern online features like Achievements and easily accessible friend lists.

Nintendo can speak about all the third party developers helping them all and whatnot but it's all lies. They did the same thing with the Wii U. Show all the list of developers, third party games barely sell, and then the first party games take forever to develop.
    I don't really buy a Nintendo system for the third party games. I buy it for the core first party titles. If I want multiplatform titles or RPGs I will always play them on PS4 if they're available.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

The thing is if you only buy a Nintendo console for the first party titles that just goes to show Nintendo systems are nothing but for those type of games. Back in the NES-SNES days, Nintendo was for every type of gamer. Now the consoles have degraded into something that gamers find as childish, under-powered boxes made entirely out of kiddy IP's with few exceptions. Of course, it's subjective. However, in my opinion, the only thing Nintendo can pull out that's good is a handheld system. Everything else is a handicap for them.