Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    The thing is if you only buy a Nintendo console for the first party titles that just goes to show Nintendo systems are nothing but for those type of games. Back in the NES-SNES days, Nintendo was for every type of gamer. Now the consoles have degraded into something that gamers find as childish, under-powered boxes made entirely out of kiddy IP's with few exceptions. Of course, it's subjective. However, in my opinion, the only thing Nintendo can pull out that's good is a handheld system. Everything else is a handicap for them.
    Nintendo systems have always been about the first party titles for as long as I've lived. I've always bought their consoles because they've had good games that aren't available on any other platform.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

It's a neat idea but unless I hear about some exclusive game I simply can't survive without playing then I probably won't buy it. If what I've read about the technical specs is true then the thing is obscenely under-powered next to its contemporaries, again, just like the Wii and Wii U. Which, don't get me wrong, as long as the games are good it's fine, but that doesn't bode well at all for third party support.

I paid full price for my Wii U and have played maybe three games on it. I don't want to do that again.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If it turns out to be region free I will be all over this like a... person who is all over something.

In order to practice my Japanese I have a Japanese 3DS and a few Japanese 3DS games; all of which is a massive pain because of course the system/store accounts are entirely in Japanese and it takes forever to get anything done. If I can just buy the damn game to play on an English system... I will be super happy.
    Leaked tech details include a 50/60 Hertz AC adapter, which means that the plug would be compatable with both US and EU power systems. So, region free seems more likely.

Only a few days until the first big event revealing details, though.
    Basically any AC adapter these day can accept any voltage between 100 and 240 volts, at both 50 and 60 hertz, so that doesn't mean much.

Usually, they're just differentiated by the physical plug. Guess it's cheaper to just have one design that works everywhere, rather than one for each region.

source: here's 4 random adapters i had in arms reach.
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-11-2017 at 01:42 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    It's a neat idea but unless I hear about some exclusive game I simply can't survive without playing then I probably won't buy it. If what I've read about the technical specs is true then the thing is obscenely under-powered next to its contemporaries, again, just like the Wii and Wii U. Which, don't get me wrong, as long as the games are good it's fine, but that doesn't bode well at all for third party support.

I paid full price for my Wii U and have played maybe three games on it. I don't want to do that again.
    Well, there are a ton more good games you can get for it, for cheap too now (probably cheaper after the Switch announcement).

Yoshi's Wooly World
    Hyrule Warriors
    Mario Kart 8
    Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater
    Super Smash Bros.
    Super Mario Maker
    Splatoon
    Pokken Tournament
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
    Pikmin 3
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Super Mario 3D World

Not to mention ports like Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.

I usually take the opposite approach to games, though. I'm quite happy to buy a console for one killer game. After all, I own a Vita (most expensive Persona game I've ever bought, but I've gotten hundreds of hours out of it, and eventually got Dancing All Night to go along with it, so it was worth it).

Nintendo keeps quality coming.

And, frankly, most third party companies that push for bleeding edge graphics rarely, if ever, impress me any more. I don't own a 4k TV (and can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p unless I'm doing a side-by-side comparison), so all those lovely extra pixels mean nothing to me. They could be putting that development time into having games that don't need a patch day one to stop the game from crashing.

The Switch isn't a new idea. The Vita tried the idea, but was too expensive to develop for, and was a separate console for people to buy. Ages before that, the SEGA Nomad was a thing. But it was another expensive piece of hardware for fans, and it was designed by someone who thought that the Game Gear didn't chug batteries enough.

The idea of a hybrid console/handheld is one that keeps popping up for a reason: It's a good sell, if you can pull it off right. I think it's honestly the future of the industry. Scorpio and Neo can run their 4K gaming, but where will the next gimmick be, the next console generation? Graphics can only really be pushed so far, and plenty of developers have already commented that they don't like the developmental troubles that Sony and Microsoft's half-generations have pushed on them.

But the ability to play your games anywhere? When graphics can't be pushed further, miniaturization will take center stage. This idea will play out, and will be mainstream. If Nintendo can capture it now, they have the potential to make bank as they take a step that the rest of the industry is going to follow behind them in.

The real question, in my mind, is whether Nintendo hit the right time or whether this idea should have waited longer. For me, personally? I'm sold. It's more powerful than the Wii U, and that's about all I need. That system has some fantastic games and only maybe two of them have ever performed poorly. But is the mainstream market? Or will it take another generation? I genuinely don't know.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly I'm also excited for the Switch because then the WiiU will be cheap and I can get some games I've wanted for it

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Yoshi's Wooly World
    Hyrule Warriors
    Mario Kart 8
    Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater
    Super Smash Bros.
    Super Mario Maker
    Splatoon
    Pokken Tournament
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
    Pikmin 3
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Super Mario 3D World

Not to mention ports like Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.
    Xenoblade Chronicles X is the one game on that list that looks right up my alley that I've not already played, but unfortunately I can't stomach the puketastic kawaii desu ne anime visual style of the characters to allow myself to play it.

The vast majority of that list is the same old ho-hum rehashed for decades characters and settings that just aren't my cup of tea anymore. Which, don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing you if you're into that, but I'm not. I'm sure they're all fine games too, but they simply don't excite me anymore.
    Last edited by DMKA; 01-11-2017 at 10:49 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

The visual direction isn't even the worst part about that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    The visual direction isn't even the worst part about that game.
    * Entire world comes to a standstill
    * Fade to black
    * Offer response

- NOD <
    - SHRUG

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

And don't even get me started on the atrocious music in some of the areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And don't even get me started on the atrocious music in some of the areas.
    Really? I've listened to some of the music from X and it sounds incredible.

It really gives off Attack on Titan vibes.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Well the thing is that the game has like 8 different tracks that you'll hear for 99% of the time, Two of them are so bad that they make me embarrased to play around my brothers, and these two are heard way more than the other 10. The other 8 most commonly heard tracks are either really forgettable, with a few good ones.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Today I saw a video about third party peripherals for the Switch & one of them was an arcade style joystick for a fighting game. There haven't been any specific fighting games announced for the system, but I imagine this means we may see a MK or SF game on the system.

No one watched the presentation?
    Full Presentation

Super Mario Odyssey

Fire Emblem Warriors

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Super Bomberman R

Splatoon 2

Also: Confirmation for Skyrim, Street Fighter, Dragon Quest X, XI, and Heroes, Rayman, a new IP from Square (that looks frelling amazing), and a new Shin Megami Tensei game.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 01-13-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

What a dreadful conference.

Nintendo seems to have learned nothing from the Wii U. Prices for both the system and accessories are awful, poor and restrictive hardware, paid online and a very weak launch lineup outside of Zelda (which is available on the Wii U).

I think I'm going to pass on this system until it goes down in price or gets a bundle.

First time in my life that I don't have interest in being an early adopter of a Nintendo console. I'm disappointed.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Me a few months ago:

- Nice work Nintendo! This is exactly what the market needs! Just don't smurf it up!

Nintendo, this morning:

- We smurfed it up!