"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looks neat! Though I can see that screen scratching easily.

Does that mean the DS/3DS line of handhelds won't be continued? Because I'd be really sad if that's the case

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Damn, this thing is coming out fast. March of next year? I still haven't got to experience the Wii U I own. I only have one game for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Looks like Square Enix will be having a game on this within a year or two and Tokyo RPG Factory too. I doubt a Setsuna port considering it didn't sell well, likely something original.

Excellent concept. I predicted this is what they'd come out with more than a year ago, along with many other people, so there's some minor smugness on my part as well xD

I fully expect this to kill off the 3DS assuming the price point is right (which I expect it will be). Why would you need a 3DS when you have a handheld and home console in one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Excellent concept. I predicted this is what they'd come out with more than a year ago, along with many other people, so there's some minor smugness on my part as well xD

I fully expect this to kill off the 3DS assuming the price point is right (which I expect it will be). Why would you need a 3DS when you have a handheld and home console in one.
    Because handheld and console gaming are still entirely different experiences. I'm guessing it's incredibly difficult to design a game that's equally satisfying as a handheld experience and a console experience.

Idk, I just like to have a dedicated handheld system, is all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't really see the difference in some of these handheld games from consoles. I've been playing a lot of stuff from the DS and GBA this year and I don't see how they would be any different on a home console.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

Because handheld and console gaming are still entirely different experiences. I'm guessing it's incredibly difficult to design a game that's equally satisfying as a handheld experience and a console experience.

Well, Nintendo collapsed handheld and console gaming development into a single organization about a year, year and a half ago? Something like that. I'm bad with time scales.

Anyway, I disagree with your premise. I play most of my games handheld, and I frequently think "oh, I wish this game was on a handheld system". There are undoubtedly games that work better, that are better suited to shorter play times. But I don't think there are any that inherently work better with one style or the other. I prefer playing without having to stay oriented and seated towards a single viewing screen. I lie on my back, sit in a chair, walk around... Even when I have huge, multi-hour game sessions, I prefer a handheld system. Most of my Wii U was spent on the GamePad.

The ability to transition is just great. As they showed, what if you're in the middle of a huge console game session, and have to walk your dog? You can pick it up and go, and finish off where you were, without any trouble. Versus saving at an awkward moment or potentially losing progress.

Also... ATLUS CO LTD. Announce Persona 5 for NX now, please. Please?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Atlus is one of the partners, so it's possible. Not sure what else Atlus could be putting on it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Guys, don't get me wrong. I like what I see. I would just like for the 3DS to get a separate successor, is all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

We haven't seen Dragon Quest XI since it was revealed. It was supposed to be Wii U only I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it got switched to Switch now. That's likely Square's game. I doubt we will see Final Fantasy XV for it. Kingdom Hearts III maybe.

Pretty neat concept and we already knew that Square Enix would be there because cough Dragon Quest XI cough.
    The One and Only KeybasH.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    We haven't seen Dragon Quest XI since it was revealed. It was supposed to be Wii U only I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it got switched to Switch now.
    From what I remember, it was announced for PS4, 3DS and NX (now Switch). No Wii U release was ever planned. The only main DQ game on Wii U was X but that's an MMO that will probably never make it here.

Still, if this ends up succeeding both the Wii U and 3DS, we might get an SMTV for it! Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

I only think this has been an issue because of differences between tech and control methods. Once you standardise those... there's no need to have any real difference between handheld and console gaming. I see this as a handheld device primarily that you can plug into an adaptor to play at home, so more a successor to the 3DS than to the the WiiU.

As long as the price point is right (which I expect it will be in order to be viable in the handheld market) I'm very excited for it.

Speaking of 3rd party developers - I work for Codemasters. Codemasters is on that list. Nobody has told me we're developing Switch games?!?!