Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doctor Strange

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

A lot of the supporting cast in Spiderman are non-Caucasian though. The Ancient One has been a rare misstep for Marvel when it comes to their casts so far. Whitewashing happens because studios want names in their films that people recognise (so Scarlett Johansson is the Major rather than, say, Rinko Kikuchi, the only Japanese actress who has possibly any name recognition in the US). Nobody wants to take punts on unknowns or lesser known actors. So you get a vicious circle where non-Caucasian actors never get a chance to make a name for themselves and studios use that as an excuse to cast another white person people have heard of instead.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I really wish they would've made James Hong the Ancient One, but ironically, he might be too old to play the part.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I just got back from seeing it. It was really, really good, and I really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Casting one black person (the only minority that matters to Hollywood) in a historically white character's role where 90% of the Marvel Universe characters (at least those that get into the movies) are white is not a wash for ignoring one of the few Asian characters they had a chance to cast.
    Says you, and I disagree.

Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass about "white washing" or "race bending" or whatever else you want to call the non-issue that petty racists constantly complain about today. I just find it amusing and retarded that people only complain when it's a traditionally non-white character played by a white person, not the other way around.
    Last edited by DMKA; 11-05-2016 at 03:10 AM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You really think people don't complain about that? Or do you mean non-racists also don't complain about that? Because white people don't have tons of opportunity regardless and most these characters are white to begin for some other reason than the fact that our society has been racist for decades?

The point is not to have the person of the correct historical race of the character in every single role. The point is that, for minorities and Asian Americans in particular, major roles in Hollywood productions are very rare, much more than for whites or blacks. So when the opportunity arises for an Asian character to be cast in one of these movies, it is disappointing when they don't give someone with limited roles available to them a break. They did it with the Mandarin and they did it here. It's not some one off thing because they really like Swinton. It's systematic.
    Last edited by Del Murder; 11-05-2016 at 06:15 AM.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I'm curious as to how many Asian actors the average, Western TV watching person can even name, not counting Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Stephen Chow, Lucy Liu, Zhang Ziyi, Ken Watanabe, Sonny Chiba, George Takei, and Steven Yeun? Try, and then think about how many white American actors you can think of without having to think too hard.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sandra Oh, Gong Li, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim, Bae Doona, Andy Lau and Michelle Yeoh. That's pretty much all I got. But I watch a lot of asian cinema and I did study an asian cinema module at college so I'm probably not the right person to ask.

I can also name a heck of a lot more white actors.

It is a problem and those who say otherwise are part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi
    A lot of the supporting cast in Spiderman are non-Caucasian though.
    I mean, why have a leading role when you can be TOKEN BLACK GUY, or TOKEN ASIAN DUDE and play a stereotype?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Depends what you mean by Asian. In Britain, Asian tends to mean people of Indian or Pakistani origin as they make up significantly more of the population than people from East Asia, and I could name you a few Asian British actors - including Sir Ben Kingsley who fwiw is definitely not white. I don't think that's the point you were making, though, but correct me if I am wrong. As far as East Asians go, you didn't name Ken Leung and Kenneth Choi! I like both of them though they never seem to get lead roles...! Incidentally Kenneth Choi plays an Asian character in a Marvel movie.

Anyway, I agree with most people that casting any minority character as another race is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Sandra Oh, Gong Li, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim, Bae Doona, Andy Lau and Michelle Yeoh. That's pretty much all I got. But I watch a lot of asian cinema and I did study an asian cinema module at college so I'm probably not the right person to ask.

I can also name a heck of a lot more white actors.

It is a problem and those who say otherwise are part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi
    A lot of the supporting cast in Spiderman are non-Caucasian though.
    I mean, why have a leading role when you can be TOKEN BLACK GUY, or TOKEN ASIAN DUDE and play a stereotype?
    You haven't seen the film yet, and you say all these supporting characters (and it's not just one or two) will be token stereotypes. Why not wait and see first? And progress takes time, it won't all happen at once. Better to have some diversity to start with than none at all.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah but saying 'you should be happy to have this' honestly sounds like a massively cop out to me. It's 2016 and we aren't even seeing a true representation on screen. Like how much longer should we wait at this point? :/

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Psy - I only wanted to name ten actors! And yeah, I didn't mention any Indian folks, whoops.

And uh...progress takes time? This isn't gay marriage, this is a movie casting. It has always struck me as ridiculous that audiences will go and suspend their disbelief and accommodate aliens and magic and war, but no, we simply cannot have a person of colour in a leading role, they're only there to help the white lead succeed, or provide comic relief.

Progress still takes time, whatever the issue. You should apply pressure on things and highlight casting controversies but equally you can't expect things to change overnight.

One thing's for sure, Tilda Swinton's presence certainly hasn't affected the film's box office. Marvel are pretty bullet-proof at the moment.