Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviews for World of Final Fantasy

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Reviews for World of Final Fantasy

A bunch of gaming websites have their reviews out for World of Final Fantasy and here are some quotes from a few.

Earlier this year I said World of Final Fantasy is the fall’s most exciting Final Fantasy game. Having played the game for nearly 40 hours, I stand by that. While I still look forward the action-packed road tripping bros of Final Fantasy XV, I’m the sort of fan whose love for the franchise is firmly rooted in the turn-based days of I through X, and that’s exactly where World of Final Fantasy takes me.
    Kotaku

In a fall filled to the brim with Final Fantasy media — A movie! An anime! A new mainline entry! — World of Final Fantasy is a cutesy, cameo-filled spinoff that tries to be greater than the sum of its troubled parts. It tries to live up to the Final Fantasy name, even as it gets bogged down in annoying throwbacks that the series has long since grown out of.
    Polygon

Similar to my experience playing Final Fantasy XIII-2, I eventually just had to tune out the plot to enjoy the gameplay. That’s a shame, but it doesn’t erase the entertaining battle system, the satisfaction of building an unstoppable monster collection, or the thrill of seeing your favorite characters back in action. The barrage of references might be lost on casual followers who don’t have the nostalgia to draw from, but that’s okay. World of Final Fantasy is aimed directly at fans with fond memories of the series’ first 15 years.
    Gameinformer

Ours will be up whenever we get to it.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I played for a couple hours, went through the first dungeon and...I'm pleasantly surprised!

It's a lot of fun! I didn't think I'd be able to swallow the kawaii cutesy chibiness of the whole thing, but after awhile you get good and used to it. Also oh man, if you're an FF veteran then holy wow...it's a nostalgiabomb. Everything from the music, to the characters you run into, to the monsters, to the names of things, to the first town you visit, will make you feel all sorts of warm and fuzzy.

I had to stop because it was getting late, but I'm jonesing to play more, so much so that I almost wish I had a Vita.

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

One of my favorite little extras is the ability to change the battle music every time you unlock a new champion summon

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoyed the demo enough to pick this up eventually. Right now I'm keeping my calendar clear for FFXV but I'll see if I can get it by Christmas along with The Last Guardian.

I'm excited to play this... but I need money T_T

I probably won't be picking it up until the new year. But glad to see it's being fairly well received! Played a bit of the demo and it was really cute and really fun. I am all about that.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Picked it up today. Only got to play a little bit, but it seems like it will be pretty fun. I could see myself losing interest after time though since its supposed to be pretty long and the story is supposedly not very good at all.

Most reviews seem to be about 6/10- 7/10, and that it starts off fun and cute, but get tedious about 15 hours into the game. Though after watching a playthrough of it on Twitch for a couple of days ( mostly in bed ;p ) I don't see where this is coming from. I plan to get this game soon, so maybe, it's different when you play it personally. But it just looks like a normal, ATB JRPG.

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

12 hours in and loving it

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Most reviews seem to be about 6/10- 7/10, and that it starts off fun and cute, but get tedious about 15 hours into the game. Though after watching a playthrough of it on Twitch for a couple of days ( mostly in bed ;p ) I don't see where this is coming from. I plan to get this game soon, so maybe, it's different when you play it personally. But it just looks like a normal, ATB JRPG.
    The average review is closer to 8 actually - metacritic currently has 8.2 for users and 7.8 for critics.

I'm really loving it. So far I'd give it an 8 or 9. It's thoroughly enjoyable in the kind of way that FFV is - the plot for me in FFV was kind of secondary to the simply immensely fun gameplay and amusing dialogue.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

It's a silly little game. I'd give it a 7/10, worth the purchase.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't think this is important enough for a thread so I'll ask here.

Does anyone know where this is from?
    http://truongasm.com/post/1523846414...longer-version

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I don't think this is important enough for a thread so I'll ask here.

Does anyone know where this is from?
    http://truongasm.com/post/1523846414...longer-version
    I have a feeling it's from the game's ending credits.

Really want to get this game. Hopefully before Christmas.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

It's worth it. I've dumped about 50 hours into it so far and I'm still not to the end yet. It's a very fun game.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Picked it up tonight after my dissatisfaction with FFXV got the better of me (I honestly don't feel like playing it at all until the updates come)... and I'm very pleasantly surprised!

I was kind of put off by the combat (very little combat animation and attacks not even making contact is kind of poor in an FF game in this day and age, especially since that was being done all the way back in smurfin' FFVII) from watching gameplay footage, but after playing a bit, I don't mind that much. Playing with the JP voiceover also got rid of my other nitpick, which was that I found Lann's catchphrases and Tama's the-tic to be immensely annoying. But all of that aside, I adore the cutesy aesthetic and puns and wordplay and fourth-wall-breaking, because I'm a sucker for all of that when done well, and the game has got some genuine laughs out of me, which I'm really happy about. I even found myself talking to Tama and Serafie multiple times in the Plaza just to hear what funny things they had to say. The comedy is a little over-exaggerated and forced sometimes though, but I still find myself appreciating most of it.

The plot is, so far, pretty overused and not very deep, but I don't really mind super much because I feel like I can set that aside, since I'm enjoying everything else. The Mirage system, while very Pokemon-like, is intriguing and the Stack system is functionally strategic and cute as smurf at the same time. And even if the plot isn't that deep, I'm immersed enough that the characters intrigue me and I want to know more about them.

I'm getting roughly what I expected, now that I was able to fix the biggest turn-off the game offered (being the annoying voice acting). A super cute RPG nostalgia trip that makes me want to come back and keep playing (and I would have, had I not had to set it aside and get ready to sleep as I have work in the morning). It's endearing and it makes me happy.