Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thirty Days

imo It's bound to be a disappointment. It will never live up to its hype.

It's been in development for ten years. In that time, Skyrim has been developed, released, and then even rereleased.

SE is trying to be "innovative" and I fear that with this game their failure to stick with what they know how to do well will bite them in the end.

I just want to see FFXVI already

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nothing could live up to it's hype except a flawless game. 10 years is just too much pressure to put on any one product.

However, I do think it will be good if judged by normal game standards. It may even innovate in several ways. It will be difficult if not impossible to judge FFXV based on the actual product and not the series' legacy or the development leading up to it, so it will be interesting to see how it is reviewed.

I think the fact that people are still hanging around for FFXV after 10 years shows that this series is far from dead. And FFXV clearly has a lot of thought put into it. Hopefully SE learns from all this and takes it into consideration when deciding the future of the franchise.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I'm going to echo Yar and Del's sentiment that XV will always have a bit of a black spot on its rep thanks to it's atrocious development time and bad timing. So it's most likely going to review well by professional reviewers but I foresee the fanbase crucifying it for all of the above reasons only to look back on it years later a bit more fondly.

With all that said, now that I've had a chance to play both demos, I'm happy this game is picking up where FFXII left off in terms of design direction and we can forget the backstep that was XIII. Still not sure about the gameplay as I enjoyed Duscae's battle mechanics more than the Platinum demo, but I think the final product will be closer to Platinum's version. I do feel they have the main four down pat though. Regardless of the controversy about the "boys club" party, I do feel SE has done a great job so far of making them feel like a strong group of friends.

I don't feel like it will be a bad game but I'm sure many fans will be disappointed in some way or other if they haven't already but let's face it, FF fans are the Trekkies of the video game world and SE has no chance of ever pleasing everyone. Of anything, I'll be happy when XV is released so we can finally move out of the shadow that is the Fabula Nova Crystallis clustersmurf, and finally have a fresh start with the series again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't wait for that surprise reveal when they tell us they've actually been working on FFXVI for years and it's an Ito game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I can't wait for that surprise reveal when they tell us they've actually been working on FFXVI for years and it's an Ito game.
    I can't wait for the disappointment when the game is revealed to be a Toriyama game starring a character named Thunder.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh man... I forgot Toriyama wasn't fired for the XIII trilogy... must have been a dream I had

Why should we have a Thunder when Thunder is a character in FFXIII-2 already as a part of a troop whose names were inspired by Lightning.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

It's the final countdown! Dun, dun dun dun.

I'm optimistic, I've been staying away from media for the past couple months as to not spoil myself but I've seen the headlines from the big sites, IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot etc ... saying the first 15 hours are amazing.

I'm slightly wary of trusting them as XIII reviewed very well and was absolute garbage in my opinion. I saw the first hour of gameplay before my media blackout and it looks like it's at the very least going to be the best Square 'Enix' final fantasy game. That's all i can really ask for at this point.

I've never been a die hard fan of the actual gameplay of FF (far more interested in the story, characters and world and the anime and movie were great ways to introduce that)

My 3 days off work have been booked! PS4 Pro is preordered. 4K TV is in my theatre room. Just 26 days to go!

Ten years of hype and it's finally almost here. It's like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    And here I was hoping for a XV-2 announcement. :P

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

People are still looking forward to this thing? *yawn* Wake me when Persona 5 is released.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    People are still looking forward to this thing? *yawn* Wake me when Persona 5 is released.
    rude

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In all seriousness though, after 10 years, 3 FFXIII titles, and a few gameplay trailers that did nothing to wow me, I doubt I'll be picking this one up any time soon. If it reviews well with some people I trust then maybe I'll get it on PC someday during a Steam sale. Right now the only thing Square's releasing that I'm remotely interested in is the FFXII remaster. I'm not sure how people have managed to keep their enthusiasm up for this game after all this time. It just isn't for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was in a similar boat to Vivi22 but I'll admit that after I got a chance to play through the demos and watch Brotherhood, I feel Tabata and his team are onto something with this title. Whether it will be great or not is up in the air since ED and Platinum offered two very different battle systems, but I loved how ED gave off a cool FFXII vibe. Like SE ignored XIII looked back on the entry that got a perfect score from Famitsu before the magazine became totally sold out and said, "You know, this game had some really good ideas. Why didn't we follow up on that?" and basically did so.

I'm more excited now than I have ever been for the game, which isn't saying much since I never had much interest even when this was still Versus XIII, but I'm willing to give it a fair shake and it has been seven years since I got to play a new numbered entry. This one at least looks like it's trying to be good whereas the last one I played looked like it was trying too hard. I'm still expecting some leftover of the original Nojima script that was saved over for the re-brand to come along and screw up the story, but at least it might be fun until I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    If it were up to me, I'd let you stay in your cryogenic slumber.

This is like going to a bar, and telling everybody there that they're wasting their money and time getting drunk.

Really logical, bud.