Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the future...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo Let's talk about the future...

So recent world events aside, it seems like long time series Producer and SE marketing guru Shinji Hashimoto was in Italy for the Lucca & Comics 2016 convention and had a bit to say about the future of Square-Enix in the soon to be post FFXV world. While there is no English transcript yet and only a video in Italian, Siliconera has a short write up on his talking points. This is what he had to say:

final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age.jpg
    Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
    The game still doesn't have an exact release date but Hashimoto wants to release it really soon. Especially since this year marks the games 10th Anniversary.

There will be no "2.9" and the next new installment will be KHIII. Aqua's new chapter in the game may sound like it will be short, but it will depend on how the player plays the events. He doesn't consider it short.

final-fantasy-vii-remake.jpg
    Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Hashimoto didn't bring any info to share but said that the game is still being worked on and it's too soon to be talking about a release date and recent rumors about it being released in 2017 are simply rumors because the company hasn't even discussed a release date yet.

Hashimoto understands that the audio drama has given fans certain expectations but any plans on going forward with it will have to wait until Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinori Kitase's schedules clear up, which will likely not happen until KHIII and the VII Remake are finished. Square-Enix is focused on finishing games that have been announced and won't make any announcement concerning a possible third installment of FFX.

FFXIII.jpg
    Final Fantasy XIII
    No plans for the moment as SE is pretty content with how the trilogy wrapped up and did commercially. They do recognize that Lightning is still a very popular character and will try to figure out more ways to expand the brand of the character.

XVI has apparently not even reached the planning stages yet and still has no confirmed director, but Hashimoto was quick to mention that fans who are unhappy with XV's setting and being an Action-RPG should not fret over the next installment following suit. The games setting and battle system are determined by its director and he pointed to how all three installments in the PSX generation were all radically different settings. With that said, he said that when the company chooses to work on a new installment in the flagship series, they do so with the mindset of releasing the ultimate fantasy for each generation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was honestly never worried that XVI would go the action route, as the action/RPG thing was what FFXV was supposed to be from the beginning, even as versus, as simple a totally different take on FF. I'd be happy if XVI had a XII-like system, honestly.

But seriously, people want an X-3? What?!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'd go for a x-3 simply to get rid of the trout show that the official canon technically is. x-2 was fun to play, x had a decent story. if they could combine both into one game, sure why not.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Hell yeah give me X-3! Though I'm fearful that Enix might screw it up. And for the future, please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get rid of the action-rpg gameplay. The reason I enjoyed the gameplay of previous FF's was because of the turn-based combat. Even something like FFXII's I loved, just not anything like I dunno, God of War or something.

Str8 Pimpin'

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

why would enix screw it up?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe they'll be confused, give us a game, the fans will be outraged that it's an MMO expansion, and they'll be like "OH, I thought you meant DQ X-3!"

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

They're also being really vague and non-committal about X-3. Maybe it won't happen.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fans on the message boards are fretting over watching them expand the audio drama because as far as I can tell, no one liked what it did with the continuity since it largely reset everything accomplished in the story thus far.

Mmmm... That's interesting. Honestly though I'm not sure FFXII needed a remaster, I mean to me it was almost perfect the way it was, but maybe this will be a good chance for a lot of players who didn't like the game to give it a second chance. And the idea of soloing the five judges with Ashe still intrigues me....
    As for FFX-3 I'm all in for the hype, however I don't want it to be another game about Tidus and Yuna. Their story is complete and it'd be redundant to keep it going. Hence why a prequel would be a lot better. Maybe something set during the war between Zanarkand and Bevelle with different perspectives on the matter, like the first part with Shuyin and Lenne as main characters and then a second part with Yunalesca and Zaon. Or maybe I'm asking too much lol
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Where's Crono Brake/Break!? Where is it Square!?

Now that I think about it, a good question would be: where is Valkyrie Profile 3?
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Blog Entries

I fancy a return to an FF9 style game.

there was a picture here

They do recognize that Lightning is still a very popular character and will try to figure out more ways to expand the brand of the character.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    why would enix screw it up?
    Because since the merge they haven't made a decent story and we got the mess that was FFXIII. X-2 could have been done so much better. And then there's the audio that hints at a possible sequel. I actually thought it was interesting, but I just don't have any expectations for SE currently.

Str8 Pimpin'