Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk about the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    But the people at Enix had nothing to do with any of that.
    of course they didn't, but there are those that draw the correlation that since the merger with Enix some of their most hated/reviled games have come out, and therefore must be the fault of Enix... for example, FFX-2, the Compilation of FFVII, or the FFXIII FNC saga... personally i like all those games i listed, but i can not deny that those are the sentiments i have been hearing from others since the Square-Enix merger and the release of FFX-2...
    i may not agree but there are those out there that truly believe it's Enix fault Square has "gone downhill"... i myself prefer to see the company progress and try new things even if they aren't amazing ground breaking works... i loved Crisis Core and Advent Children, i loved FFX-2, and the FNC Saga, despite all the hate those titles get, they tried something new, they dared to be different, and i loved every bit of it... but there are those that hated it and trace it back to the merger...

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    of course they didn't, but there are those that draw the correlation that since the merger with Enix some of their most hated/reviled games have come out, and therefore must be the fault of Enix... for example, FFX-2, the Compilation of FFVII, or the FFXIII FNC saga... personally i like all those games i listed, but i can not deny that those are the sentiments i have been hearing from others since the Square-Enix merger and the release of FFX-2...
    i may not agree but there are those out there that truly believe it's Enix fault Square has "gone downhill"... i myself prefer to see the company progress and try new things even if they aren't amazing ground breaking works... i loved Crisis Core and Advent Children, i loved FFX-2, and the FNC Saga, despite all the hate those titles get, they tried something new, they dared to be different, and i loved every bit of it... but there are those that hated it and trace it back to the merger...
    And considering how the merger had nothing to do with X-2 I hate how people always use that argument. After all X-2 in Japan still has "Squaresoft" written on it. No wonder of course. After all X-2 also needed a bit of development time.

So: X-2 was not made after the fusion.

And about one of the TSW comments: Square did not go bankrupt. Just almost.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 11-12-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    This.
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair to Enix, the real issue concerning the merger is that Square lost some key employees and restructured their development into several studios which largely took the really talented people who made all the games loved in the pre-merger and place them in positions where they are somewhat out of their element. Granted, much of this was happening before the merger even happened so it's very likely had the merger not happened, we would still be feeling the same way now. The main thing to focus on is that while many prominent designers still work there, most of them are doing upper management BS instead of all the stuff they were good at. While I consider some of his contributions to the franchise a bit overrated, I would still love to see Kitase step back into the director's chair for a new title but he's pretty much stuck as Executive Producer for the brand, which gives him some creative control but it feels like he hardly uses it.

The other issue here is the combination of factors which was Spirits Within failure (bankrupted the company), Yoichi Wada being promoted to SE President (Not a game designer, he's more of a financial expert) and the success of X-2 (proved that SE could easily make back their money by taking advantage of the FF Brand and seriously expanding the franchise) which all accumulated into a scenario where SE needed money and took the most logical avenue to gain it. While many fans (myself included) have not said many nice things about the direction Wada took the company when he took over, you can't argue that his policies of placing all of SE's financial burden on the successful marketing and branching out of its three pillar flagship titles (FF, DQ, and KH) were able to turn the company around from financial ruin to one of the more prominent Japanese developers still relevant today.

The success of X-2 and the merger was kind of the beginning of the end of Square as a creative game design studio and in turned fueled its transformation into a powerful financial gaming company, yet I feel it's safe to say Square was probably heading into this direction regardless. It was just the fact the financial pitfall the Spirits Within placed on the company rushed what would have likely been a slow process into something more tangible and quick. Yet I feel the bigger issue here is still many of Square's top talent were already making plans to leave the company to start their own creative ventures before the merger. Of anything, it's more of an annoying coincidence a lot of these factors came into play around the same time.