View Poll Results: Will you/do you agree with telling kids the truth about Santa?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kids should believe in the magic of Santa!

15 83.33%
  • Kids should not be lied to!

3 16.67%
  • I'm gonna tell ALL the kids and bathe in their tears!

0 0%
  • I hate Christmas and I hate this poll

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Santa Claus

Team Nope here ! We teach our children not to lie, create and fabricate stories, be honest, and be truthful and then we turn around and share stories to them about a overweight old man who only works one day a year and has a reindeer with a red glowy nose. Seems so hypocritical.

I don't know how harmful it can be though, because over here Santa in the mall is Samoan one year, Hawaiian the next, then European, then British. Worked it out it was all fake when I was about seven because of this.

Blog Entries

Well it is a bit hypocritical, deceiving your kids to induce good behaviour? But what happens when we cast our kids out with other kids, whom do believe in Santa? It may be that the concept and idea of parenting is something a lot of kids really don't understand (and parents to be honest). You don't own your child, that's something a lot of mother's don't understand.
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’
    “Fix the cause, not the symptom.” – Steve Maguire

I'm not sure whether I would actually TELL a child that Santa was real - lies to children should be kept to a minimum, I feel -, but then I would never tell them that Santa wasn't real, either. They'll work it out for themselves when they're ready.

Blog Entries

Above is probably the best way to go about it.
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'll be telling my kids about Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

They're only kids once and having magic in their lives is... well, magical. I grew up this way and I don't resent my parents for lying to me or anything like that. I thank them for making the holidays special.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Is lying to children immoral? Pfft, Santa is only going to be the start of the web of deception I weave. I'm telling my kids I'm a retired astronaut and have been to the moon, that doing chores brings you good luck and that 99% of chocolate is only made for dads so I couldn't possibly share.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Is lying to children immoral? Pfft, Santa is only going to be the start of the web of deception I weave. I'm telling my kids I'm a retired astronaut and have been to the moon, that doing chores brings you good luck and that 99% of chocolate is only made for dads so I couldn't possibly share.
    You should also drop tiny hints that you're actually a secret millionnaire and disappoint them when they grow up and it turns out you're not

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post

They're only kids once and having magic in their lives is... well, magical. I grew up this way and I don't resent my parents for lying to me or anything like that. I thank them for making the holidays special.
    This! Being a kid is magical, once that innocence is lost it's just not the same. Why not let them have a belief that the world is special while they can

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

We'll do Santa, but we want to incorporate him into a greater meaning of giving during the holidays. We plan to have them pick out toys that will be given to less fortunate children so that they understand the concept of giving. As part of the overall giving process, Santa will visit them and give them some stuff too. So Santa will be someone who encourages giving by giving a lot himself instead of just some magic red guy who gives them free stuff regardless of how they behave (because let's face it that 'be good all year or Santa won't come' is a total bluff).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I'm not sure whether I would actually TELL a child that Santa was real - lies to children should be kept to a minimum, I feel -, but then I would never tell them that Santa wasn't real, either. They'll work it out for themselves when they're ready.
    I feel like this is how my art professors handle every question ever asked.

Me: "Is Santa real?"
    Professor: "Do YOU think Santa is real?"
    Me: "I don't know... that's why I asked you."
    Professor: "Yeah, but.... Is it important if Santa is or isn't real?"
    Me: "..."
    Professor: "..."
    Me: "I don't want to know anymore."
    Professor: "Excellent."

Some Text Here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastGrilledCheese View Post

I feel like this is how my art professors handle every question ever asked.

Me: "Is Santa real?"
    Professor: "Do YOU think Santa is real?"
    Me: "I don't know... that's why I asked you."
    Professor: "Yeah, but.... Is it important if Santa is or isn't real?"
    Me: "..."
    Professor: "..."
    Me: "I don't want to know anymore."
    Professor: "Excellent."
    Ahahahahaha, that seems more like the response a professor would give on a more complex existential problem.

Although I think I may start to apply this technique.

Lying to young kids about Santa isn't that big of a deal, as long as you don't over-do it. You don't have to lie to them per se, like religion is used in a bunch of good ways; as far as we know that could be a lie.

These are little kids, so use your discretion.
    Last edited by jenovajunkie; 11-22-2016 at 04:25 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post

This! Being a kid is magical, once that innocence is lost it's just not the same. Why not let them have a belief that the world is special while they can
    To be honest my kids are going to be sick of me after a few Christmases because I'm going to be that Mom who makes them make loads of Christmas crafts that get hung around the house and then kept forever. I'll be making them watch all the classic Christmas movies and everything

They're gonna hit 10 and be like "I'M NOT MAKING ANOTHER TOILET ROLL TUBE WREATH MOM!"

ahhh kids!

I'm going to do santa for my kids. my auntie doesn't do it for her kids, they don't do the tooth fairy or the easter bunny either. All those two kids do is go around telling ALL the other kids that believe in santa that he isn't real, it makes a lot of other parents mad. I think its important that children believe in something that they cant see so they learn to have faith in something that isnt physical, even though im not one bit religious. it is an essential part of childhood IMO
    When the war of the beasts brings about the world's end
    The goddess descends from the sky
    Wings of light and dark spread afar
    She guides us to bliss,
    her gift everlasting

Blog Entries

Let the chaos begin. I wonder if your aunts kids will listen to NWA when they're older, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I actually smurfing love this idea. So clever.