Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default What happened to Somnus?

So everybody who's been following the development of the game knows what I'm talking about. That beautiful, melancholy song with Latin lyrics. It's one of those things that have pretty much stayed between the Versus XIII/XV rebranding. But having recently watched the 101 trailer, I can't help but wonder

So the 101 trailer ends with a bombastic orchestral arrangement, the footage from the game shows that the theme (albeit with a unique arrangement as well) is used as kind of this "legacy" theme as it's connected to the thing Noctis is looking for throughout his journey, and apparently the original song is used on the title screen. Except it's not because there aren't any vocals anymore - just a violin. And honestly, whenever that original arrangement showed up in a trailer I was anticipating the vocals to kick in, only to hear the violin again.

It's just so weird. Is the vocal version still in the game, I wonder? Are they saving it for some important moment and just didn't want to make us tired of it through trailers?

I don't know... I hope they're saving it for an awesome moment. It's hardly the end of the world if not, but it would be a nice touch. It's so weird how long that theme has been around. I've had it on my iPod for the last decade because it was included on Shimomura-san's Drammatica album.

BTW here's a piano arrangement from Kyle Landry:

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It wouldn't be the first time Squenix ditched tracks from previous builds. Two tracks from the VIII demo never made it into the final game, while most remember the controversy about the change to the Dollet mission music, most forget that Nobuo also composed a really cool remix of Prelude for the demo's menu screen.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still, you know, the theme is there and it is still very prominent. I just kinda miss the vocal version and hope it still gets used

Yeah ! Stand By Me is cool and everything and it's a nice way to start the game, but Somnus was amazing and had that classic FF feel.