Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replaying this

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Pahahaha, I actually haven't been playing it because I've been TOO BUSY ON POKEMON.

I also started a job this week so have been doing that.

Blog Entries

I never refined cards. I just did a low level challenge and waited until I got cactuar GF to raise my stats for each character. Turning two in your group to stone helps. Really what I did was got all the cards, didn't level up for most the game. When I got cactuar GF I went to Ultima Weapons/Bahamut lair where there was almost an endless supply of barriers and cursed spikes. I turned the cursed spikes into dark matter I believe cause those refine into luck-J abilityx4 etc. Barriers turn into status defx4. You can't do much without Eden but stock up and level up there and you'll do yourself a favor. Also I only learned Angelo search so I could confused a closed up tripod and let Angelo come in every 10 minutes or so. Pressing triangle helps him appear. The only thing I gave up on was collecting enough silver mails to make elemental def x4. You need 1000s of them.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I need to play this again. I need to see Biggs and Wedge, man. Best soldiers 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    I've been trying to run this playthrough with as minimal summoning as possible. So far, I've used Jinx twice in the fire cavern, and Shauna once against XATM in Dollet.
    The Tonberry are going to love you.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    I've been trying to run this playthrough with as minimal summoning as possible. So far, I've used Jinx twice in the fire cavern, and Shauna once against XATM in Dollet.
    The Tonberry are going to love you.

I think on my last playthrough I made it through the Tonberry trial by just attacking everything with triple demi.

I think on my last playthrough I made it through the Tonberry trial by just attacking everything with triple demi.
    Not a bad strategy. Although with your current killing method, "Everyone's Grudge" is bound to do 9999 damage to your characters most used.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

How do you try to balance the battle system every time you play it? As we all know VIII's many aspects are its easy to break combat system.

I need to replay 8. It's hard to describe my exact feelings on this game; there are many things about it I find very unlike any other Final Fantasy .. some of which I like, others I don't.

I never draw magic in this game. When I was a kid, this annoyed me to no end. It seems like pointless and unnecessary repetitive button mashing to me. It wasn't until I got older and learned my way around the interwebz that I really learned refining. That's more my style. I usually play cards for 10 or so hours right after the SeeD exam just collecting and refining spells. Triple Triad is easily my favorite mini game of the series.

The plot is pretty 'meh', IMO. I don't have much positive opinion on any of the characters, except Quisty. Squall is ok. Sometimes I find the equipment system (or lack thereof) very restrictive, other times I appreciate not having to be on my toes constantly in order not to miss something.

I guess all in all, this is probably my least favorite of the PlayStation games. However I still feel it gets a bad rap and is obviously a very very good game. I just have to be in the mood for its style.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I'm actually almost done with VII in my marathon and I honestly can't wait to be done with it and get on with this game! For all it's failings, I'm pretty sure this game actually has a consistent level of narrative throughout (as opposed to VII where disc 1 is really good and disc 2 is pretty bad, and then disc 3 is just the final dungeon), but that might just be the nostalgia talking. We'll see!

So consistent that fans had to make at least two theories to try and make sense of it all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Considering FFVIII was what it was.

It was vastly underestimated

A great game following a JRPG classic

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

YOU ARE ALL TO BLAME

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    I'm actually almost done with VII in my marathon and I honestly can't wait to be done with it and get on with this game! For all it's failings, I'm pretty sure this game actually has a consistent level of narrative throughout (as opposed to VII where disc 1 is really good and disc 2 is pretty bad, and then disc 3 is just the final dungeon), but that might just be the nostalgia talking. We'll see!

So consistent that fans had to make at least two theories to try and make sense of it all.
    A FF game with a plot that doesn't make total sense? Surely not!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, the story isn't that confusing and what I meant by cohesiveness was more the narrative structure than the plot itself. It's executed much better than VII's which had all the fun stuff on disc 1 and then went really weird on disc 2, while discs one, two, and three of FFVIII have a much more clean structure.

Honestly, the story isn't that confusing and what I meant by cohesiveness was more the narrative structure than the plot itself. It's executed much better than VII's which had all the fun stuff on disc 1 and then went really weird on disc 2, while discs one, two, and three of FFVIII have a much more clean structure.
    And I would still argue that, the orphanage plot twist coming completely out of left field being a prime (but far from the only) example why.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Was never bothered by it, to be honest. While it's handled relatively poorly, especially in comparison to games like Persona 2 that had a similar twist but executed much more intelligently, it was still subtly foreshadowed and didn't impact the overall narrative that still managed to consistently retain its focus on Squall's development throughout the game (which I think is great and one of the best parts of the game since it's so rare to see an actual first-person narrative in a game). This is still way more cohesive and digestible than the mind-numbing KH stupid huge materia stuff.