Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Those who are playing today: Was it worth the wait?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It was so you wouldn't get a 27GB patch
    It lessens the sting, but it is still a 9 GB patch. It's the best of a uncomfortable situation, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The worst thing about it is I'm pretty sure Tabata made a big deal about not wanting a Day 1 patch when he explained why they pushed back the launch two months. Bloody hell.
    It wasn't about not wanting a day 1 patch - that much was inevitable. It was to ensure that if you didn't/couldn't get the day 1 patch, you still had an experience that met a minimum level of quality. From what I gathered from the patch notes, most of the 9GB is CG cutscenes from Kingsglaive/trailers that they're cutting in to flesh out certain plot events.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Like Fix said the majority of the data for the Crown Update is the KG and Omen scenes. The rest is mostly QoL and some bug fixing.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Seems a wee bit late to be adding story scenes but hey ho.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

They were too big to add to disc apparently.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I picked up my copy. My expectations are not as high as my standards (then again, I have been known to play some really dumb stuff anyway), but my viewpoint is if it's as hilariously bad as I've been hearing, then I'll get some great laughs out of it-- and if it isn't and I find things in it that I genuinely enjoy, then it's a net win either way.

I sound really mean about it, and I really don't mean to, but FFXV has looked less and less appealing as time went on in its development that I just was not impressed at all (much like how I've felt with pretty much every new FF since FFXII). I'm still playing it in the hopes that I'll unironically be impressed with it.

I do plan on streaming it; is there a rule or policy against posting links to streams and such here?

It's really fun and the production value/scale of the game is gorgeous. The story, I'm not feeling it and the overall "FF" feel isn't there.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Current;y sitting in chapter 10 and having played 76 hours so far, I can say I throughly enjoy the game, the combat imo is outstanding, with wait mode turned on and the quick switches between what weapons and magic you get to play about with I find it very entertaining.

I would have most definitely had bought it day one but I got lucky and won it in a twitch givaway, so not only did I get it for free, I also highly rate the game, the camaraderie between your 4 guys is excellent and they all gel well together. I do have a few minor gripes with the story, but other then that I am loving the experience.

Worth a 10 year wait? Hell no. It would have to be the greatest game ever to justify a wait that long, and it's far from that.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Worth a 10 year wait? No.

Worth (realistically) a 3 year wait since it was re-branded and most likely entered full-scale production? Yes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I never really consider how long I've waited when evaluating a game.

FFXV is a great game. I'm gonna Platinum it. I think I have 3-4 trophies left to go.... fishing, cooking, and the L99 hunt. Honestly the trophies are kinda simple considering how much content there is in the game that could have trophies for it (eg. Menaces Below Lucis). There is a lot for people who like endgame in this thing. I have goals I want to reach beyond the Platinum trophy such as getting the best gear, fighting the toughest fights, getting all L99 characters (92 so far) and... maybe... maybe (probably not) max out Ascension. The grind for that is absurd, though.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As someone who never believed Versus XIII ever made it past the concept stage, I feel it's better to assume that XV's development really began when Tabata took over and the title became a numbered entry. At which point it's only been in development for four to five years, and the results make more sense.

As of right now, it's a hell of a lot better than FFXIII which was pretty much the only bar of quality I placed on this game.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

It's weird to say, but I honestly can't help escaping the feeling that the main game could've done with a little more time in the oven, maybe just another 3-6 months or so. The post-end stuff is great, the side stuff is generally good. But the later stages of the main story really feel under-cooked compared to the earlier parts. If the later parts had reached the bar set by the earlier parts, this would've easily have hit legendary status and gone from an 8/10 to a 10/10.

Like when you get a pizza, a tad undercooked but it's still nice enough, but you know in the back of your mind that with just a few more minutes in the oven and it would've been perfect.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    It's weird to say, but I honestly can't help escaping the feeling that the main game could've done with a little more time in the oven, maybe just another 3-6 months or so. The post-end stuff is great, the side stuff is generally good. But the later stages of the main story really feel under-cooked compared to the earlier parts. If the later parts had reached the bar set by the earlier parts, this would've easily have hit legendary status and gone from an 8/10 to a 10/10.

Like when you get a pizza, a tad undercooked but it's still nice enough, but you know in the back of your mind that with just a few more minutes in the oven and it would've been perfect.
    While I am nowhere near the end of XV (still Chapter 3) and thus I can't say anything on the matter regarding it, I feel this comment can honestly apply to most of the FF series. There are very few entries where I feel the endgame is as engaging as the beginning. Even FFs I adore like IX and XII, I often felt the final few hours are some of the worst parts of the game for me.

A Japanese person on another forum had supposedly revealed the true story of Versus XIII. I am not sure if he's accurate whatsoever but I have to say....

Here's the link to the thread - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/93298...sy-xv/74675878

If this person is true than it makes me even more dissapointed in XV. The game is lovely but it has a very unpolished feel to it. As if they rushed it out to get it out there as soon as possible.

Yeah, it's a solid game but the 10 year wait wasn't worth it.

(I wanted that Versus XIII plot.)