Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Let's share our first (spoiler free!) impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    blows my mind how people are already done when there is so much to see and do in this game (they must have skipped 90% of the game)
    Indeed I did! I love these games for their stories. So the fact that 90% of the game is something other than story content is a) why I finished it so quickly and b) why I don't like it very much.

I am 100% done and have already played through the game 2 1/2 times so no, not skipped. 100% as long as we do not have the DLC for story and all, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
    My struggle was getting them hooked in the first place. I can get the red bar to appear (ie they are alert) but it disappears after a few seconds.
    the red bar is their interest, some fish like fast moving bait, others like it to not move at all, while others like slow moving bait, the faster the bar fills the more their interested... jig it around a bit too see which fills the bar faster and recast (Circle Button) to the same spot using what you learned from observing the red bar... also try changing the Lure, different fish like different bait, you can check each Lures description to find out which bait are for which fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I am 100% done and have already played through the game 2 1/2 times so no, not skipped. 100% as long as we do not have the DLC for story and all, that is.
    lol, i should have expected that from you though, you remind me of this guy i knew with eidetic memory that would play through games in under a weekend, he'd buy/rent them and be done by time i'd come back over the next day, it always amazed me...

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Indeed I did! I love these games for their stories. So the fact that 90% of the game is something other than story content is a) why I finished it so quickly and b) why I don't like it very much.
    but there is still story in those side-quests, the one with Dave and the Dog Tags is a really good example of one that further develops the boys character...
    Last edited by Elly; 12-12-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

blows my mind how people are already done when there is so much to see and do in this game (they must have skipped 90% of the game)
    Looking at people's opinions on reddit, I kind of noticed this trend that people who took the time to actually go and explore everything actually have a much greater appreciation of the story because the way the world builds it in subtle ways is really effective. And people who rushed through it are incredibly disappointed for the very same reason

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Looking at people's opinions on reddit, I kind of noticed this trend that people who took the time to actually go and explore everything actually have a much greater appreciation of the story because the way the world builds it in subtle ways is really effective. And people who rushed through it are incredibly disappointed for the very same reason
    To be fair, I did some exploration while going through the story. And even doing as much as possible would not help erasing my complaints because I complain about what is not in the game. Which I hope is mostly covered in DLC.

My struggle was getting them hooked in the first place. I can get the red bar to appear (ie they are alert) but it disappears after a few seconds.
    the red bar is their interest, some fish like fast moving bait, others like it to not move at all, while others like slow moving bait, the faster the bar fills the more their interested... jig it around a bit too see which fills the bar faster and recast (Circle Button) to the same spot using what you learned from observing the red bar... also try changing the Lure, different fish like different bait, you can check each Lures description to find out which bait are for which fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    i should have expected that from you though, you remind me of this guy i knew with eidetic memory that would play through games in under a weekend, he'd buy/rent them and be done by time i'd come back over the next day, it always amazed me...
    Funnily enough I did finish Final Fantasy XV over the course of one weekend. Friday Night, Oct 25th 2016-Sunday Night, Oct 27th 2016. Not 100% though, of course.

but there is still story in those side-quests, the one with Dave and the Dog Tags is a really good example of one that further develops the boys character...
    FFVII had story in the side quests too. The difference is, if you ignore the sidequests you still get a satisfying story.

Also for every "Dave and the Dog Tags" quest there's half a dozen "Fetch me a mushroom" quests, which don't advance plot/characters in any meaningful way. And it's tedious going through them just on the off chance there are a couple of nice ones. It's not like I did absolutely 0 side content, I did experience a reasonable chunk if only to get to the recommended levels for the main missions...

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn

It's also likely that the people who took the time to go and explore every nook and cranny were happy to play a game that forces them to do that. I'm not one of those people. I would like to point out though that FFXII was a game that did exactly the same but also gave you sufficient detail on the linear path to be satisfying. It's not either/or. Plus, what are we defining as 'subtle' ways here? I hope that doesn't count turning on all the radios so that you don't miss really important plot details, 'cause that infuriates me!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVII had story in the side quests too. The difference is, if you ignore the sidequests you still get a satisfying story.

Also for every "Dave and the Dog Tags" quest there's half a dozen "Fetch me a mushroom" quests, which don't advance plot/characters in any meaningful way. And it's tedious going through them just on the off chance there are a couple of nice ones. It's not like I did absolutely 0 side content, I did experience a reasonable chunk if only to get to the recommended levels for the main missions...

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn

It's also likely that the people who took the time to go and explore every nook and cranny were happy to play a game that forces them to do that. I'm not one of those people. I would like to point out though that FFXII was a game that did exactly the same but also gave you sufficient detail on the linear path to be satisfying. It's not either/or. Plus, what are we defining as 'subtle' ways here? I hope that doesn't count turning on all the radios so that you don't miss really important plot details, 'cause that infuriates me!
    I haven't played it yet, so I can't say what it is, just going off what I heard other people say. Tbh, though, I still like that approach on paper, and I figure I'll like it in the game as well, considering how much XIII has killed any desire to ever see forced, ham-fisted melodrama as the epitome of being "human" ever again. I like a more laid back narrative now, where I get to fill in the gaps myself, and maybe catch up on some things more organically, like, idk, by listening to the radio as the characters would in the game.

Of course it's all subjective. Everybody likes different things. But everything I hear about XV so far makes it look like exactly
    the kind of FF I've been waiting for all my life.

4 or 5 hours is nothing! What Chapter were you on?
    I'm guessing I was still on Chapter 1.

I still feel burned the the FF XIII "oh if you put up with it for twenty hours then it gets good!" bulltrout. No thank you. Why can't the game be good now?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Yar View Post
    4 or 5 hours is nothing! What Chapter were you on?
    I'm guessing I was still on Chapter 1.

I still feel burned the the FF XIII "oh if you put up with it for twenty hours then it gets good!" bulltrout. No thank you. Why can't the game be good now?
    Yeah, I figure that if you don't want to continue it at this point, it probably isn't your cup of tea

Probably not want you want to hear, but I'd stick with it until at least Chapter 3 or 4. I had grievances with the game and then it sort of clicked once the map opened up and the quests got a bit more interesting.

There's always going to be a certain amount of investment with a game of FFXV's size

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I played both ways back to back (35 hours on first playthru and nearly 100 hours on second) and came away with the same opinion. If anything, going through the game with a fine-toothed comb hurts the experience because it exposes how shallow and rushed everything is.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do feel there are certain story moments between the characters that just "randomly" show up. I'm sure there is a checkpoint in the code for when these events play out but it's definitely not a scripted in the sense it plays immediately after a certain moment but instead just triggers when you make camp/stay at an inn. Which frankly has been kind of nice for me. Of anything, I'm appreciating the fact the game is a bit more interactive with it's story content, dialogue choices, funny non-consequential mini-game activities with the party members. I like the fact Tabata and his team are hearkening back to the V-IX era and pushing the fact that story scenes shouldn't just be me sitting there listening to characters drone on for fifteen minutes. There is also just the various conversations your characters will do together while just walking around.

Gameplay-wise, my beefs with the game so far are mostly my issues with Open-World games in general, so it's a bit harder to nail XV for anything new problem-wise that hasn't been heard before when discussing things like Skyrim, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Fallout.

Pros:
    • I'm enjoying some of the subtle things in the game, such as having the car need to stop to let a herd of monsters cross the road.
    • I found the original Crow's Nest, though the Kenny "Special" is a bit too expensive for my taste at the moment.
    • I'm really enjoying the variety techniques bring to combat, not just by breaking up the simple monotony of ARPG combat in general but because several of them do either offer some tactical advantage or some interesting gameplay addition that requires you to do some more stuff than just press the circle button.
    • The game kind of keeps the XC thing where anything ten levels higher than you will most likely murder you outright. As it stands there is still one Daemon at night I have to avoid.

Cons:
    • Wow, while I can appreciate returning the Couelir enemy back to it's "Nope *hit run command*" status, I feel the team may have gone too far with them in this one. Three of them were a handful but I did a hunt that had me fight eight of them and in addition to burning through my Phoenix Downs, I had to resort to having Ramuh deal with them. Speaking of which...
    • I have the boon of two Astrals already, but I've only seen one of them so far in combat. How the hell do they work? Does the newest Astral just replace the old one so I missed out on the chance to see Titan, or is it just random and the game for me seems to favor Ramuh more?
    • I'm torn between finishing exploring the area and advancing the story, especially since the story mission says up front that I may not be back in the area for some time. I keep feeling there is another Lucian artifact or two for me to pick up in the area. On the other hand I get to roll with Iris in the story mission...
    • Okay game... it's "Eye-Ris" not Ee-Ris" that's starting to get on my nerves.

My review of the game:

I vaguely remember the original trailer for Final Fantasy versus XIII. It was a long time ago and seemingly right around the time I was playing Final Fantasy XII.

For years, I always thought the trailer was for Kingdom Hearts 3 for some reason, as terrible as that sounds.

It never mattered to me that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was delayed, forgotten and put aside. Final Fantasy XII was lackluster and XIII, the successor, was bland and mediocre.
    I never finished either game.

When it was announced that Final Fantasy XV, the game Versus XIII eventually became, was being released in 2016, I could care less. My love affair with the Final Fantasy series was over.
    After years of believing in Square Enix and the series, I was done. I was done with Final Fantasy and I was done with Japanese Role Playing Games (JRPG).

However, with each new trailer I became curious about this new game. Four friends on a journey across a fantasy world. Ok.
    The return of summon monsters. Ok.
    Gorgeous graphics. Meh.

Then it was announced at E3 2015 that Final Fantasy VII was being remade for the PS4. Suddenly my interested in the series was rekindled.
    More information was revealed about XV as well, but I could care less about the four metro-sexual dudes on their journey to come out the closet. Final Fantasy VII was being remade. The game that seduced me to the series. The game that I completed 100 percent. The game I beat 20 times in one summer. smurf Final Fantasy XV, give me VII!

Then the hype for the remake died down. I played a bit of the FF VII PS4 game and was satiated for a bit.
    This was when I started paying attention to XV. Square announced a tie in movie and YouTube series for the game.
    Square showed what a summon looked like in the game – Ramuh. That’s when I got the bug. In older Final Fantasy games, summons were cool. They were allies you’d call into battle who would unleash devastating damage on your enemies. Awesome.
    The same principle applies in XV, except now the summons are smurfing huge in scale and cinematic glory.

This is when I decided that if reviewed favorably, I would pick the game up.
    I’ve played the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3, role playing games set in an open world with dynamic stories and interesting characters.
    I’ve played what I consider to be the best modern RPG series in the world, Mass Effect. My tastes have matured over the years. JRPGs are stuck in the past. That’s my issue with the majority of them. Some teeny bopper had the fate of the world placed on his shoulders. Also some big breasted nymph would accompany our hero to show her titts – I mean save the world.

The Witcher 3 and the Mass Effect series blew that crap out the water. Not simply because sex and violence were introduced, but because of the emotional weight placed on the player.
    Could XV deliver?
    No. But that’s ok.

I started playing FF XV the day it was released last month and I love it. It’s definitely a game for fans and new comers, as the title screen in the game reads. It’s also quite fun.
    While everything is not perfect, like the poor controls and camera in dungeons, the game does have some redeeming qualities.
    Riding Chocobos is awesome. Driving the Regalia is awesome. Killing giant beasts – awesome. Being murdered by Quetzalcoatl only to be saved by that badass Ramuh summon – smurfing awesome.

I couldn’t tell you what the smurf the story is. Your dad is murdered and some imperials want to hunt you down and some other imperials don’t. You’re supposed to be marrying this oracle to bring peace to the world. I don’t smurfing know. Kill trout and don’t think too much. Camp and eat luxury food in the woods.

Also, save yourself the trouble and don’t watch the movie Kingsglaive – it’s the worst movie I’ve seen in 2016. Aaron Paul, Sean Bean and Lena Heady should be given Oscars for trying to save that piece of trout.
    The YouTube series, brotherhood, is better. It’s shorter, and offers insight into XV’s characters.
    Other than that, stock up on elixirs and prepare to be weirded out by all that bro love.

----

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Nice; 08-11-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    • Wow, while I can appreciate returning the Couelir enemy back to it's "Nope *hit run command*" status, I feel the team may have gone too far with them in this one. Three of them were a handful but I did a hunt that had me fight eight of them and in addition to burning through my Phoenix Downs, I had to resort to having Ramuh deal with them. Speaking of which...
    • I have the boon of two Astrals already, but I've only seen one of them so far in combat. How the hell do they work? Does the newest Astral just replace the old one so I missed out on the chance to see Titan, or is it just random and the game for me seems to favor Ramuh more?
    My understanding is that each summon has a certain set of conditions that have to be met before getting the summon command like being in danger for a certain amount of time. I don't know the conditions or anything, but I believe I've read that ramuh is the easiest to trigger.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm torn between finishing exploring the area and advancing the story, especially since the story mission says up front that I may not be back in the area for some time. I keep feeling there is another Lucian artifact or two for me to pick up in the area. On the other hand I get to roll with Iris in the story mission...
    Without spoiling too much, you get given a way of traveling back fairly quickly, so even if you feel there's stuff you missed but really want to carry on with the story - feel free to carry on, you'll have multiple chances before the end of the game to go back when you desire. Most of the Armiger Weapons are tied directly to the story, there's only a few that come from optional stuff.