Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Let's share our first (spoiler free!) impressions!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Since I started playing the game, I've decided to wait to watch the movie until I beat it. Will that in any way make the movie less enjoyable, or would the movie make the game more enjoyable? I don't mind picking up what's going on or who is who from context in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I was a bit startled by the first Southern accent that blared at me, but since then I've really grown fonder and fonder of them. It just takes time to settle in.

As for "but they aren't nailing that Southern accent right" - dude it's not actually America. xD They don't *have* to nail a Southern accent. It's like when people criticised that one girl for her Aussie accent in FFXIII. It's technically a fictional accent, guys, they can talk as incorrectly as they like.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's just a bit jarring when you first get there is all, and I've never really cared for the accent since it always feels a bit overused in our media. With that said, it's a minor gripe, not a "IT'S RUINED FOR ME!" I was just trying to figure out things to whine about but I'm only two hours into the game and it was one of the few things that made me roll my eyes. I'm sure our British members roll their eyes when they have to listen to a Cockney stereotype every time something takes place in place modeled after "good ole merry England guv".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I was a bit startled by the first Southern accent that blared at me, but since then I've really grown fonder and fonder of them. It just takes time to settle in.

As for "but they aren't nailing that Southern accent right" - dude it's not actually America. xD They don't *have* to nail a Southern accent. It's like when people criticised that one girl for her Aussie accent in FFXIII. It's technically a fictional accent, guys, they can talk as incorrectly as they like.
    To be fair, Georgia actually was an Australian, so it was so weird how people said she was fake

Gang was totally fake, though, and get people liked her accent more. Go figure.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, that always amused me. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I dunno why Cindy gets so much judgment. I like her so far, she's adorable. Could probably use a more reasonable wardrobe for her job, but that's about it.

full body coveralls in that heat would be brutal, i've seen gearhead girls wear less... the way i see it if a guy can work on his car with his shirt off what's wrong with Cindy's cloths, it's more than one would wear to the beach... though it is funny to hear how jelly the girls in the diner are of her...

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    I dunno why Cindy gets so much judgment. I like her so far, she's adorable. Could probably use a more reasonable wardrobe for her job, but that's about it.
    I don't think it's her character that is generally judged, everyone seems to like her for the most part. It's her visual design that tends to be criticised and it is totally legitimate to like one aspect of her character and dislike another.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Still haven't been to Lestallum... nearly Level 30 now and nearing 17 hours played...
    And I thought I was farting about xD
    Just arrived in Lestallum.

screenshot hidden, it's for Pyschotic mostly!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Is there a way to skip some hours of time? There was a hunt I wanted to do, but it was only available at night. I tried camping, and it just skipped me to the next day. Can I skip half a day somehow instead of wasting time running around waiting for night? It felt like such a waste of time, and there was so little to do during that time since the next part of the story said I'd be away from that area for a while. Where on earth are all the monsters to beat on?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Play the Sun's Song, Momiji!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You're just makin' me want to go play Zelda again.

I met that Dino dude Paul was talking about earlier. He's such a hilariously bad stereotype. I like how I tried to turn him down, but Ignis made me go through with his request anyway. What an illusion of choice!

Time to go fishing before moving on.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm just into chapter 2, and my impressions to date have been overwhelmingly positive. The charcters and world feel real and organic, with self-evident layers of history and back-story beyond what the game's showing us. Material from Kingsglaive has been well-incorporated thus far, though I can see why it'd be more difficult to make sense of this game without having seen the film.

The gameplay and storytelling offer some pretty big departures from earlier Final Fantasies, and I'm actually grateful for that. It's a new way to approach the world and interact with it. Gameplay mechanics like driving, combat and levelling are quite different from other games, but again I like that there's a new way of doing this in this game, instead of just a repeat of what's already been done elsewhere.

The game's a downright visual marvel, too. I don't think I've ever played something that came so close to photo-realism, with the possible exception of Uncharted 4.

While I'm still getting used to FFXV's combat and side-quests, I'm looking forward to continuing the journey and continuing to learn.

I LOVE single player MMOs. This game feels like that right off the bat and I'm adoring it.

My favorite aspect so far is the character interactions with one another. I love their jabs and dialogue. Prompto's photographs are amaaaazing! I thought it was a little corny AT FIRST, but I was hooked immediately. I wish I knew more about them buuuut I know there's like story episodes I could watch. If I can bring myself away from running around stabbing things I'll have to give those a watch.

The combat system makes me feel like a total badass. I like games that make me earn my wins, and I get the impression that this game isn't going to let me just roll over entire areas of baddies. Then again - challenge accepted! I am a grind machine! Over leveling is my thing.

Cindy's boobs bother me so much. So much. Gravity doesn't work like that. At all.

Also, I LOVE that I camped out in a trailer. Abandoned, dirty south wasn't something I expected at all, but I'm kinda digging it.

Some Text Here.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just got to Chapter 3, going a bit slow since I'm trying to explore and do optional quests over story missions first.

The Good:
    • Did I mention how much I like the Technique system? Ignis especially wins for having some super useful abilities.
    • I love the fact that Prompto's Flare Gun move will actually stun the nocturnal daemons. Saved my ass a few times on hunts.
    • Much like the demo, Goblins are a freaking pain in the ass with a bent on screwing with your party. I love it.
    • My first Guest Party member didn't disappoint.
    • I like that equipping a party member with one of their secondary weapons will have them switch up their combos like Noctis.
    • Magic was starting to lose it's pep when I encountered the Flan's and I smiled because the game brought back memories of FFIV.
    • I just had my first heart-to-heart with Prompto and was surprised to see it actually featured a dialogue tree akin to Mass Effect.
    • While it's a bit on rails, I'm digging the Regalia and traveling by it.
    • Having played the Duscae Demo, it's really interesting to get back there and see how much has changed.
    • The Javelin/Spear is my favorite weapon so far. The perfect balance of speed and power.
    • Cid upgrades my weapons? Hell yeah!
    • The fishing mini-game is easily my favorite mini-game so far, brings back fond memories of Breath of Fire.
    • Collecting recipes is pretty fun.

The Bad
    • While there are very few of them, the load times in this game are pretty annoying.
    • What does a prince have to do to get his hands on new weapons for his entourage?
    • I'm hoping we can get more clothing options besides the four you start with.
    • Quick Travel my ass, you're almost always better off just driving the Regalia instead of relying on QT.
    • Party banter conversations are starting to repeat.
    • Gladious has my least favorite skill, scavenging items I can get pretty easily isn't quite as engaging as Fishing, photography and cooking.
    • While I appreciate the scale of the areas, there is a real sense that 90% of my play time is just trying to get to somewhere interesting.
    • Why yes FFXV, I totally love it when I'm fighting a Mark Hunt and you spawn a monster encounter and a Magitek Soldier encounter at the same time. That was totally fun in the demo as well...