Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: Spoiler and Final Impressions Thread

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I couldn't read fully because I just got this game for Christmas, but yeah, I did see a sample earlier (which was thankfully spoiler free). But I did see that things are getting a bit too much with the personal insults. You guys disagree and that's fine, but can we keep the low blows out of it? Thanks!

I have had another thought about XV's 'road trip' premise and the conclusion I have come to is that they kinda screwed that up as well. Don't get me wrong, hanging out with your dudes is still one of the game's strengths, but it fails to make me feel like they're going on a real adventure together and I think I know why: they just don't go far enough.

To me, a 'road trip' is cross country, or close enough. Driving from LA to San Fransisco? That's a road trip. Pottering about Nevada for a week? Not a road trip. XV was more like pottering about Nevada, you were driving back and forth around one small town and the same set of gas stations for the entire first half of the game. Where's the adventure in that? The sense of unknown? Now, usually I wouldn't mind this of course - I don't buy Final Fantasy in order to play Euro Truck Simulator - however in the case of XV the concept was used as an excuse to remove a bunch of stuff.

Oh, you want some plot points in the first half of the game? Can't spare many of those, we're on a road trip!
    Want some female party members? Sorry about that, this is a game about brothers on a road trip!

The first time a roadblock was removed and you drove to a new location was pretty cool - that felt like you were discovering something new. But that only happened 3 or 4 times in the game, the rest of the time you were going back and forth between the same points. Bearing that in mind I'd go so far as to say that FFX was a better road trip, because all the way until Zanarkand you were always coming across some new part of the world, a new challenge, a new bump in your adventure.

Man, I was just re-watching the old Versus XIII trailers and they keep on reminding how much more impressive just the trailers for Versus were than the entirety of Final Fantasy XV. Combat and concepts looked better. Character switching.... Tactical Kingdom Hearts/Dissidia system. So much better and overall a game with better lore. I'm not sure if that petition to reboot Versus would do anything(very few petitions work in gaming) but a man could dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    Man, I was just re-watching the old Versus XIII trailers and they keep on reminding how much more impressive just the trailers for Versus were than the entirety of Final Fantasy XV. Combat and concepts looked better. Character switching.... Tactical Kingdom Hearts/Dissidia system. So much better and overall a game with better lore. I'm not sure if that petition to reboot Versus would do anything(very few petitions work in gaming) but a man could dream.
    I wish I realized earlier, but all hope of Versus XIII died when Tabata was put on the project. The game philosophy shifted from realizing Nomura's dream to turning a profit on all the years of development 'wasted.' XV fortunately turned out to be a somewhat decent game, but it will forever be wasted potential.

On the bright side, I hope Nomura intends to use some of his ideas from the Versus XIII development in a future title.

Pull my Devil Trigger!