Thread: 3%

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default 3%

Is anyone else watching/has anyone else watched this?

It's a new Netflix show (their first Brazilian show!) about a futuristic society where everyone is poor and suffering, living in squalor and filth except for the chosen 3%. In this society, 20-year-olds have the option to go through what's called The Process, which tests their emotional and mental capabilities to see if they'll be useful to The Offshore, a rich society where money isn't even thought of.

It's good. Like, really, really good. Someone asked me about it and I said it's like Black Mirror meets Hunger Games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know, this type of shows, they go for a realistic vibe, yet take a scenario that is extremely unrealistic.

As far as I know, it's impossible to have a productive society in true squalor. The 3% would have to be kept supplied (I suppose that's how it's set up) through the work of the 97% in squalor. But illiterate, starving, filthy citizens tend not to be very productive.

Still, might be fun.

It seems very interesting. Black Mirror is one of my favs tv shows, so I'm definitely going to try this one. Thanks for suggesting it! I'll start watching tomorrow and I'll be back here
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sounds like your standard Hunger Games/Divergent YA dystopia. But it is Netflix, so worth a shot.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I mean, kind of? But I really like that genre, so I enjoyed it a lot. I feel like this show explores a lot more than YA dystopia novels are able to. Also, it's not really romance heavy...or rather, it doesn't feel like a romance story with dystopia themes. I definitely feel I got more out of it than I did Hunger Games (which, for what it's worth, is a series I really enjoy)...maybe because it's about young adults and not teenagers?

I also love how diverse the cast is. I know it really reflects just Brazil in general, but it's got tons of women, tons of people of all colors (white, brown, black), tons of people of varying age, it even tackles disability...it's great.

Ok I watched the first episode and I really enjoyed it. (SPOILER) At first I wasn't expecting Michele to be the member of the "resistance" but it was a nice turn of events. Also I liked how she deceived her friend to attack that woman just to save her life. The acting was pretty good as well so I'm definitely hooked for now. Hope it keeps on the same level until the end.
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've watched two episodes and it is pretty good. The subtitles threw me at first but you do kinda get used to it. I read things slowly so it's hard to keep up with the action, but this is probably better than dubbing it since the emotion in the actors' voices is not something you want to suppress. The concept is not new at all but as Jinx pointed out it doesn't have the teenage romance love triangle which already puts it a cut above your garden variety dystopia. I also love the psychological mind games, which remind me a lot of the crap I used to pull on EoFF staff.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You definitely get used to the subtitles! When I first put it on, Netflix automatically had it sent to dubbed and the voice acting was TERRIBLE. Even if you don't understand the language, you definitely do get stuff from the voices and how they deliver their lines.

I think what I enjoyed most about the show were the characters. I love all of them, honestly. But the best are definitely Fernando, Rafael, and Joana.

Never had a single problem with subs, since I watch anime as well. Plus I like to watch shows in their original language.

EDIT: Just finished the whole show. It was pretty good and interesting. Good character development and acting. Not on Black Mirror level, but the series deserves quite a lot. Excited for season 2.
    Last edited by Yubel-Lover; 12-12-2016 at 12:32 PM.