Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Mirage board question

So my mirages sometimes have two options that either say like transfiguration or unlock a new board or something like that. What are the differences and what should I choose between them?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Transfigurations are more like evolutions in Pokemon. For the most part the moves and stats gained on the mirage board of transfigurations are usable in all forms (ie if chocobo has cure unlocked on mirage board, you can still use it if you stay in chocochick form.)

The other option is more like unlocking a mirage in the same family that has its own set of transfigurations. Say you have two kinds of chocobo, regular chocobo and red chocobos. If you unlock the red chocochick mirage board, you could change the regular chocochick into the red chocochick. However, the red chocochick would be treated as a separate mirage and the abilities it knows will not be usable by regular chocochick. I don't know if there is a red chocobo in the game, I just couldn't think of a good example.

Basically both are good. Transfigurations make your mirage stronger and give you the option to make the mirage bigger or smaller. The other option let's you change into something different that will have different stats, abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully that made sense. It will make more sense as you play around with it though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thank you!

How hard is it to switch between if I end up choosing something I don't like and want to try something else?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's easy. You can switch out mirages in your party or switch the forms of mirages in your party at any save point or gate. Also, say you have 20 sp to spend with your chocochick, that amount is share between transfigurations. So you can spend 10sp on chocochick and 10 on chocobo, using up all your sp. If you unlock other mirage board (red chocochick in my example) and then switch to that form, all the sp you've earned for regular chocochick will exist for red chocochick. So even if you spend all 20 sp on chocochick and it's transfigurations, when you switch forms you'll immediately have that 20 sp to spend his you like on red chocochick.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Scotty summed it all up, but I just want to add that I really like transfiguration. The ability to pick and choose which evolution of the mirage I want so simply is fantastic. Also, I believe the nodes that don't carry between transfiguration are the ones that look different outside the node... hard to say from work, but if I recall they have some white lines surrounding the node. All the other nodes should be okay to be used by other "evolutions" in the same grouping. Most actions are locked but not all. Stats are always spread, so it's never a bad idea to keep growing your mirage's strengths by hopping into the other linked mirages and boosting those boards. I tended to grow into the other boards long, long before I would actually transfig my mirages to those boards because I didn't like losing the actions that were locked to a certain mirage 'evolution'.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!