Thread: Summons (SPOILERS)

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

Default Summons (SPOILERS)

Can someone explain to me how summoning works, I know it's condition based like the power moves for XIIs espers but other than ramuh I can summon them, I've even purposely let everyone die/danger status and nothing.

Glacean: no item in my inventory but people I know say they got it after ch12.

Haven't really needed to summon but in on ch14 and trying to grind for exp and these enemies literally one shot me into danger status and I'm popping hi-elixirs like hot cakes.

My phone messed up and posted the edited version as a second thread sorry

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Can you still call Umbra at that point? I think if you want to grind EXP you're better off calling Umbra and going back to old Lucis and doing sidequests/hunts/dungeons.

Most of the mobs in Insomnia are status-affliction central. Also, pro-tip: find the subway. I went around getting beaten up by Naga, Arachne's etc, until I followed the alleyways down into the subway (run past whatever is too tough for you).

The only things you really have to fight are the Eternal Soldiers on the road and in the subway, and then the Behemoth King outside the gate to the citadel.

I never did figure out how summoning works unfortunately. Sometimes the music would start and I'd have an option to hold L2 to do it. I remember fighting the ridiculously high level deathclaw or whatever it was in the crown city... I got one hit into danger status and I got the option to summon Shiva. Did less than 1/3rd damage to him anyway ¬_¬

Yeah I've been doing a lot of hunts for grinding because the enemies are so spaced out, I've never had to do it before because I've just stroled through the game till this point

Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Yeah I'm under the impression you're supposed to avoid a lot of the stuff on the streets in Insomnia. The things down in the subway are a lot more manageable than up above.

At least, this is what I did.

I found the subway with the bunks but when I ventured out I just wound back doing circles fought yojimbo and the Arachne but couldn't do much with the fallout reject I'm guessing I walking right past it

Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by sir helix View Post
    I found the subway with the bunks but when I ventured out I just wound back doing circles fought yojimbo and the Arachne but couldn't do much with the fallout reject I'm guessing I walking right past it
    Yeah there's another subway entrance not long after the Yojimbo and Arachne, that one will take you down into a tunnel with some Eternal Soldiers/Gremlins in it which allows you to by pass the Nagas and Deathclaws and come out near the gate to the Citadel.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

There is a run-down on this stuff in the official guide. I'll try to remember to post about it when I'm home.

Basically there are certain areas of the world map where certain summons are more likely to appear, and the longer the fight you're in the more likely they are to appear, etc. Which is fantastic for the later fights when you're spending a lot of time just grinding them down and staying alive.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!