Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Name a game or game series you hated but everyone else loved

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I could just never get into the Metroid series. My older siblings love it, but I could never get into it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chrono Cross and Super Mario RPG are the two biggest ones that come to mind

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I never cared much for SM RPG either

The Mario and Luigi RPG series on the other hand...

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Though enjoying super Mario RPG being the youngest sibling I was always player 2 thus a massive Luigi fan. Him not being in it was a strike against the game I thought.

Fynn what hat are the other Mario and Luigi RPG's and what system. Would love to give them a go.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think there's five installments as of now, but only one really stands out, imo. The GBA had Superstar Saga, then for the DS there were Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story (one of my favorite games of all time), and then on the 3DS you have Dream Team Bros. and Paper Jam.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I wasn't keen on the Persona series but I'm liking P4G so far. It's weird though because it's almost exactly the same experience as P3 (though I'm sure a hardcore fan can rattle off all the differences). What probably changed was myself as a gamer, where my lifestyle lends itself more to playing games in short bursts and don't require my undivided attention so a slower-paced RPG focused daily events syncs well with this.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Probably the Fallout series. I've bought a couple of them but just never liked them. I wouldn't say hate, though.

Which is weird because I love the Elder Scrolls. But Fallout was always boring to me and I didn't like some of the mechanics, like the fights in slowed time.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I think there's five installments as of now, but only one really stands out, imo. The GBA had Superstar Saga, then for the DS there were Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story (one of my favorite games of all time), and then on the 3DS you have Dream Team Bros. and Paper Jam.
    Sounds awesome Fynn. Will need to emulate them so I will grab the two for the advance tonight and put them on my backlog. Kinda committed to doing Tecmo Secret of the Stars next as I am wanting to know if I gave it a bad review or not. Remeber that time pushing it aside for both Chrono Trigger, and Breath of Fire II at the time I played it last. Probably didn't give it the attention it deserved. We will see.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Type 0 was loved when it wasnt out in the west lolm I heard people say it was the best ff ever lol

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thought of another one, Valkyria Chronicles, love the art direction and the concept, hate the story, the characters, the awful interface, and even the combat has issues. Yet everyone and their mother seems to act like it was the best JRPG to come out last gen.

Dragon Age Inquisition. What a frickin' mess of a game.

Planescape Torment. It is an actively anti-fun game to play.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Ooooh, do tell. I mean, I like it overall, but I agree it has issues. Maybe our issues are the same? As for myself, I could never get horror games of any kind. Way too scary. I also find sport games like Fifa very underwhelming. I mean, I like sport, but ugh they are no fun. Yet they get massive sales every year. I attempted Ocarina of Time, but stopped about a third through. It just didn't grab me. I'm not sure if there was a lack of urgency in the story but.. I don't know. Might try again with it, because I feel as if Zelda is a series I would like.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ocarina of Time is a bit too scripted and small of a title to really appreciate the series. I would honestly start with Link to the Past because it's a nice in-between from the original Legend of Zelda (the original open world game) and the more scripted Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess is also a good choice thanks to the excellent characters in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Ooooh, do tell. I mean, I like it overall, but I agree it has issues. Maybe our issues are the same?
    Corypheus was interesting in concept, poor in execution. The idea of a guy out of time and so devastated by the loss of his deity that he resolves to become god himself because that's the only way to make sense of the world is very, very interesting. A nice and unique take on "villain attempts godhood" cliche.

Only...Cory isn't around enough. After Haven, it's a long string of defeats until the ultimate climax is he impotently does something and then we go and smack him down.

And of course
    (SPOILER)It's revealed Solas is the true villain. The end of Trespasser is the real end of Inquisition, Cory a distant, pathetic memory.

And Corypheus' existence alone is a huge problem. It trivializes the Mage-Templar stuff and makes it all pointless. Did you know we were actaully supposed to be able to go around the conclave and talk to people? But someone was like "BORING! LET'S START THE GAME WITH A BIG EXPLOSION!"

The Breach being sealed not even halfway into the game is also kinda dumb IMO.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Ooooh, do tell. I mean, I like it overall, but I agree it has issues. Maybe our issues are the same? As for myself, I could never get horror games of any kind. Way too scary. I also find sport games like Fifa very underwhelming. I mean, I like sport, but ugh they are no fun. Yet they get massive sales every year. I attempted Ocarina of Time, but stopped about a third through. It just didn't grab me. I'm not sure if there was a lack of urgency in the story but.. I don't know. Might try again with it, because I feel as if Zelda is a series I would like.

As as for sports games myself I buy the hockey every year. For me it's the GM modes with all the new rosters that make me buy them. To be honest I sim 99% of my teams games.