Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Name a game or game series you hated but everyone else loved

How could I forget goddam Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

It's the worst JRPG I've ever played yet I went in hearing nothing but praise.

Is there anyone surprised that I'm going to say Xenogears?

Cause that one.

Also throw me in with not liking Tales. I had fun with Destiny, but that was it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post

I don't know where you're hearing that from, since most SO fans I know hate it or at least try to pretend it doesn't exist. Course most SO fans I know like to pretend the series just ended with SO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post

I don't know where you're hearing that from, since most SO fans I know hate it or at least try to pretend it doesn't exist. Course most SO fans I know like to pretend the series just ended with SO2.
    Funny, most SO fans I know (including me) say Till the End of Time is the best one they made, and it's 4 and 5 that don't exist.

TTEOT does have the worst plot device in the history of anything though. That much I will certainly admit!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Is there anyone surprised that I'm going to say Xenogears?

Cause that one.

Also throw me in with not liking Tales. I had fun with Destiny, but that was it.
    xenogears had the worst battle system
    it literally turned me off everything
    and like
    don't switching between sprite and 3d models in battles its bs
    i either want to play fft or friggin omega boost but not both
    i agree w xenogears
    i got to the desert town like twice and then said 'oh a fighting competition. goodbye'

I spent 5 minutes typing out my response to games I loved that everyone else hated, and then realized that I had the thread title backwards. Whoops.

I can't think of too many examples of this. The only game I can think of is Tales of Xillia 2. I loved the first one, and thought the sequel was a huge letdown. Couldn't even make it 5 hours in. Which is weird because a lot of people seemed to like that game.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    I spent 5 minutes typing out my response to games I loved that everyone else hated, and then realized that I had the thread title backwards. Whoops.

I can't think of too many examples of this. The only game I can think of is Tales of Xillia 2. I loved the first one, and thought the sequel was a huge letdown. Couldn't even make it 5 hours in. Which is weird because a lot of people seemed to like that game.
    I had the same issue with Xillia 2 to a lesser extent. It did some nice things mechanically and it was nice to see Milla and Jude again. What really infuriated me was how Ludger had a really interesting story but then they ruined it by making him a silent protagonist!

Same issue but even more so? Xenoblade Chronicles X. Probably my biggest letdown of the past 5 years other than FFXV. Just so much worse than the original Xenoblade Chronicles in every way (once again, Silent Protagonists are the worst​).

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I had the same issue with Xillia 2 to a lesser extent. It did some nice things mechanically and it was nice to see Milla and Jude again. What really infuriated me was how Ludger had a really interesting story but then they ruined it by making him a silent protagonist!

Same issue but even more so? Xenoblade Chronicles X. Probably my biggest letdown of the past 5 years other than FFXV. Just so much worse than the original Xenoblade Chronicles in every way (once again, Silent Protagonists are the worst​).
    Is Xenoblade Chronicles X really that bad? A guy I knew really enjoyed it. He played both X and the original. I haven't played either, but I've listened to some of the soundtrack of X and really liked it.

Hopefully they port X or both games to the Switch. I'll definitely give them a try.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Xenoblade Chronicles is so far my favorite game of all time. X was fine, but I can only play the Wii U when I visit my brother, so I don't get to play it often. But other than the tiny font that I can't read even when I'm wearing my super ultra +2 glasses, it was pretty dang cool.

And shut up, Fox, silent protagonists can totally work Take a look at Chrono Trigger. Or heck, any DQ game. All terrific games.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Is Xenoblade Chronicles X really that bad? A guy I knew really enjoyed it. He played both X and the original. I haven't played either, but I've listened to some of the soundtrack of X and really liked it.

Hopefully they port X or both games to the Switch. I'll definitely give them a try.
    For me it's like XV. They make it more MMO-y and quest based and completely compromise the story side of things. For example in the original Xenoblade your main character is a dude called Shulk. He finds a sword with the power to destroy the mechanical enemies that attack his town, goes on a quest for vengeance/justice/save the world and so on and so forth.

In Xenoblade X you play as INSERT YOUR NAME HERE who is a new recruit in the Defence Force who tags along with more interesting characters as they do the plot. Rather than giving your character any dialogue, every time you need to say something the entire game stops and you get a dialogue option. Which will quite often be something like this:

Option 1: Nod
    Option 2: Shake your head

Honestly, you know how bad it is with Ludger in Xillia 2? Multiply that annoyance by 10 and that's Xenoblade X.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn
    And shut up, Fox, silent protagonists can totally work Take a look at Chrono Trigger. Or heck, any DQ game. All terrific games.

Silent protagonists are all various degrees of suck.

Some suck less than others. Gordon Freeman? Doesn't suck too much. Half Life still fantastic despite this. Ludger from Xillia 2? Sucks a lot. Drastically reduces the quality of the game.
    Last edited by Fox; 12-12-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jesus, Fox! Again, who hurt you?
    Every silent protagonist ever

Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This just came up as well: Smash Brothers, it's not so much I "hate" it, as much as it's just not really my thing but many of my friends are obsessed with it and only want to play it. I have a similar issue with World of Warcraft.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I kinda agree? I love playing it with my brother, but the hype is waaaaay out of proportion